Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-in-august-425345/)

peggym Apr 23rd, 2004 04:33 PM

Paris in August

My husband and I are planning on spending our 35th anniversary in Paris this August. I have been there 3 times---without him--but never in August. I know many things close down during this month but still want to go.
Any suggestions for places to stay, places to visit, restaurants, etc. that will be open during this month as well as side trips outside of Paris. I would really like to stay in the Fourth, Fifth or Sixth Arrondisement and am not big on "touristy" or populated areas. Can speak a limited French. Please help, any input is appreciated. Thanks

margyb Apr 23rd, 2004 04:37 PM

We were in Paris last August and many places were open. There were some bistros closed, but most places were open. Make SURE you get a place with A/C. We were there when it was 108.....it was brutal. I just got back yesterday from another Paris trip and it was freezing! I'll take cold anyday over the heat though :)

Margy

Underhill Apr 23rd, 2004 07:38 PM

By all means get a hotel with a/c.

Quite a few restaurants do close down during August; your best bet is to check the red Michelin Guide to Paris, which has a list of its recommended restaurants open during July and August.

One advantage of being in Paris during August is that hotel prices are usually lower, but you will need to reserve fairly soon. The sixth is a busy area; if you want to avoid populated areas, you probably don't want to stay there or in the fifth. So look for hotels in the fourth. Again, the Michelin Guide is your best resource, as hotels are listed by arrondissements.

How long will you be in Paris? There are any number of good day trips and/or overnight trips: Giverny, Versailles, Fontainebleau, Rouen, Chantilly, and more.

suze Apr 24th, 2004 10:00 AM

I have only been to Paris one time and it was August. I didn't see things to be closed up that you'd notice (maybe if you had your heart set on a particular restaurant?). We stayed in the 5th/Latin Quarter which I loved but I would definitely consider it both "touristy" and a densely populated area of the city.

mclaurie Apr 24th, 2004 11:53 AM

It's important not just to have a/c, but a/c that works well & is not turned off at certain times of the day by the hotel! Look for reviews here and on tripadvisor from summer stays. You don't mention budget but have a look at the Melia Colbert where friends of mine stayed. Also the Hotel Bonaparte gets good reviews in the 6th I think with a/c.

Another idea is to stay on Ile St Louis. Check these 3 for a/c etc.
Hotel Lutece, Hotel des deux Iles, Hotel St. Louis. Owned by the same people as 2 of these, the newish (2003) Henri IV Rive Gauche looks lovely. Happy Anniversary!