Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris in April, what to wear-going shopping

Mar 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

So since we want to be comfortable, yet stylish (and can always do with an excuse for shopping), we are going shopping for Paris today! So, what should we get temperature wise? Coat or light jacket; boots or open shoes; raincoat or umbrella? Also what time does in usually get dark? We will be there the second week of April.
Mar 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
balletgirl

A small travel umbrella is a must! I bought a Totes mini travel umbrella. It takes up hardly any room. Came in super handy when we were standing on the second landing of the Eiffel Tower in the rain.

Mar 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM

bookmarking
Mar 11th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Definitely an umbrella, raincoat and closed shoes. You may get some warm days - but many nights can be quite chilly. Also bring at least one light sweater and long-sleeve tops - as well as a couple of short-sleeves in case you get warmer days.
Mar 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. What about the time; does anyone know around what time it gets dark in mid April?
Mar 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM

It's dark about 8pm
Mar 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM

To be really chic you should carry a Goyard St. Louis tote containing a bottle of Veuve Cliquot that you purchased in the Gourmet Food section of Galleries Lafayette. Everything else is superfluous, except for a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps, of course.

You are going to go shopping at Colette, aren't you?

Superficially Thin
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:53 AM

Wear layers. The weather might be chilly but I found the larger department stores oppressively warm. Bring a bottle of water, and a credit card!
Mar 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

I am a Christian Louboutin kinda gal with a Payless budget. Mmm... maybe I should spray pain the soles of my Montego Bay pumps red?
Mar 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I went to Paris last April for the first time and I found the following items the most useful (while still feeling somewhat stylish):

1) A belted trench coat.
2) Comfortable but well fitted black pants.
3) Comfortable black shoes. I know you want to wear cute shoes in Paris but when you are walking 8 miles a day, comfort does play a factor.
4) Dark jeans.
5) Sunglasses.

Have so much fun -- I am jealous! Now...if anyone has any suggestions as to what to pack for a day hiking in the Cingue Terre, I am all ears!
Mar 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Cinque Terre -- that is what I get for trying to close the screen before my boss walks in!
Mar 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM

My uniform is usually a trench coat, black slacks (very light weight wool w/a little lycra to hold their shape) crisp white cotton blouse and a cashmere cable knit around my shoulders. I wear ballerina flats with a thin rubber sole for cushioning, good leather handbag, gold earrings, gold bracelet, watch and Iím good to go all day. Sometimes I exchange the sweater for a Hermes scarf. (It doesnít have to be Hermes, but it helps). If I have a lot to carry, I switch the good leather handbag to a nylon Longchamps Pliage. They are light as a feather, carry TONS of stuff and French women of all ages carry them and look fashionable.
Mar 17th, 2008, 12:41 AM

IIlka - You crack me up with painting your Payless soles red! I, too, lust after the Louboutin's. I've been tempted but, pair of shoes vs. plane ticket to Paris. I pick Paris every time.

Skirts are big in Paris this spring, and trench coats are everywhere. Definitely, bring layers and a pair of black pants for chilly, rainy days.

The NY Times had slideshow this week on fashions from people on the street. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...URE/index.html

Here's a link to my site on what the colors/trends are in Paris this Spring:

http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_wear_winter06.html

Have a great trip, - C
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:30 AM

Definitely take or buy an umbrella. When we lived there, we noticed that if there was even a hint of a cloud anywhere in the sky, it got around to raining at some point in the day. It didn't usually rain for very long (you can wait out the storm in a cafe or a shop), but it can pour in short, sharp bursts. Take more than one pair of comfortable shoes, too, in case one pair gets soaked.