Paris in 3 afternoons and 1 whole day i

Jan 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Paris in 3 afternoons and 1 whole day i

My husband and I are taking a Cosmos tour of France then extending the tour for 2 days, which gives us 3 afternoons, 1 whole day and a morning in Paris.

The tour includes a 1/2 day city of Paris tour which will allow us to see the highlights from the bus.

We have 1/2 day after flying into CDG airport, 1/2 day after the city tour, 1/2 day after a hotel transfer (so we can stay a couple of extra days,) and one whole Saturday and a Sunday morning before we leave.

The final hotel is located across from the Musee D'Orsay.

When do you think we should see Versailles? Is an afternoon enough to breeze through the chateau and explore the gardens?

I plan to buy a 2 day Paris Museum Pass to use on Friday and Saturday - mostly to bypass the lines.
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I'm thinking that a short visit to Versailles might work out well on the day you transfer to the hotel near the Musee d'Orsay. The RER train to Versailles Rive Gauche (the stop you would want) also has
an Orsay stop, so it's straight ride from near your hotel.

To get there, take the RER line C to Versailles Rive Gauche. Trains are labeled VICK or VERO. You don’t want any other Versailles stops as you will be farther from the chateau.

A shuttle bus will probably be waiting outside the Versailles train station or else you’ll have about a half-mile walk to the Chateau.
When you leave the Versailles Rive Gauche station you will be on Avenue General de Gaulle. There is a clean bathroom at the MacDonald’s across from the RER station—be nice and buy something. Head right on Ave.
G deG and then left on the big Avenue de Paris which goes straight to the chateau.

Admission to the chateau, one of the tours, and to the Trianons is included in the Paris Museum Pass/Carte Musee, but not admission to the gardens. For that reason, you may want to consider Versailles for Saturday when you have the museum pass. Pass holders will have a special entrance at Versailles. You can also buy a guidebook there.

There is also a Versailles Passport which includes admission, allows you to bypass the ticket-buying line, and includes audioguides for three tours, plus admission to the gardens.. It is sold at the Versailles train station, the RER stations in Paris, and possibly elsewhere.

On the other hand, your time in Paris is so limited, I'd skip Versailles this time around.
I'm sure you'll be back.

Search this Thread