Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotels-Verneuil or Hotel de Fleurie? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-verneuil-or-hotel-de-fleurie-496010/)

greekbeuty Jan 17th, 2005 07:16 AM

Paris Hotels-Verneuil or Hotel de Fleurie?

My husband and I are going to Paris in February for the first time and after much research I cannot decide whether to stay at the Verneuil or the Fleurie. I got a really good rate for the Fleurie through Venere.com. Are the Fleurie and the Verneuil located in the same district? We would prefer to be close by to the nightlife at night being that we are in our late 20's. Any suggestions? Also, which of the two hotels have "bigger" double room?

jody Jan 17th, 2005 07:31 AM

I don't know about the Fleurie , but the standard doubles at the Verneuil are very small. I've stayed there 3 or 4 times and each time the room was crowded. That said it has a great location, nicely decorated and a wonderful staff. The location of the Fleurie is closer to the nightlife of Blvd St Germain ,such as it is. But they both are only a few blocks apart anyway.

Weadles Jan 17th, 2005 07:43 AM

I'd recommend the Hotel de Fleurie over Verneuil. It's a beautiful hotel with well-appointed rooms, and it has a very helpful staff.

I don't know if the rooms are any largesr than at the Verneuil, (most Parisian hotel rooms are pretty small) but if it matters that much, you could e-mail or phone the hotel directly to ask about them.

Good luck, and have a great time!

francophile03 Jan 17th, 2005 08:59 AM

I have stayed at the Verneuil twice. My last stay was from New Year's day for three nights. Yes, truly, the standard doubles are very tiny. I stayed in one on my first stay last February. My relative I reserved the deluxe double for her last February and she got room #402, a nice-sized deluxe double with a very pretty, pink-colored, canopied bed, ginger jar in lighted cupboard,and the bathroom had two bathrobes but no bidet which the standard double for some reason had. There is quite a nice space to walk around and the window overlooks rue de Verneuil (quiet street).

On my last visit I stayed in room #302 which is not as nice as room #40 which has a checkered canopied bed.

I had a chance to speak with Joseph, the night manager, upon checkout and while waiting for my taxi. He says that Travel & Leisure magazine did an article about the hotel in 2000. The article mentions #302 as being the best room, but it's only because the author popped into that room while the maid had it opened for cleaning; the author then wrote inaccurately that it's the best room. It's not. In fact, the staff, according to Jospeh, like either room #402 or #502 which is the top floor room and it has got 2 windows which is great during winter for the extra light they bring in.

Joseph says that all deluxe double rooms are about the same size. So deluxe double rooms end in '02' and all overlook rue de Verneuil.

He mentioned that the owner, Mme. de Lattre, redecorates constantly so if you see a room on their site and reserve it, don't get surprised that it looks differently when you check in.

Last February I visited the hotel over Valentine's Day weekend and the hotel presented both my aunt and I with a box of chocolates each. This last visit I found a potpourri sachet waiting for me in the room with a note from the owner (well, a staff member wrote it for her I think).

The location is a quiet one but it's a couple of blocks from Blvd. St. Germain and just a few blocks down rue Jacob to rue de Buci and all that 'action'.

I prefer the location than the Fleurie's which is in a busier area. Also if you want to visit the Musee d' Orsay it'll take you no more than 10 or 15 minutes to walk. Great to beat the lines!

Caveat: the Verneuil's elevator starts one flight up from the ground floor. You must, therefore, carry your baggages up and down the stairs to and from the elevator.

greekbeuty Feb 8th, 2005 12:19 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I ended up booking the Hotel de Fleurie. I will be sure to post my review when I get back. We leave next weekend. Any restaurant recommendations? ALso, what is the Crazy Horse?

jody Feb 8th, 2005 02:33 PM

Crazy Horse Saloon is something like the Moulin Rouge..a dinner, cabaret show with dancers and scantily clad ladies! Think LAs Vegas is all I can say..though I've never been to either..no interest!