Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels - Verneuil, Le Sainte Beuve or Henri IV Rive Gauche?

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I need some help making a decision. I have a 5 night booking for the Verneuil in June after reading great reviews. However, a recent review on Tripadvisor spoke of bedbugs and bad attitude there recently. I don't know if I should change hotel or not. Management responded to the review and said the problem had been cleared. Do I keep the booking or go elsewhere? Looking at Le Sainte Beuve or Hotel Henri IV at the moment. What would you do? Thanks, Miriam.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM

The mere mention of bedbugs makes my skin crawl! I think I would change hotels. Both the other 2 hotels get good reviews. I have stayed near the St.Beuve, and I like that location, near the Lux Gardens. The Henri also sounds like a good location in the Latin Quarter. I am considering staying there my next trip to Paris. When the manager says"the matter has been cleared up" - hum, bedbugs can hang around for a LONG time!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sue4 for your thoughts.I'm just thinking: What's to say they don't appear in the new hotel I book??
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM

No one can anticipate bedbugs. The problem isn't related to hotel 'quality' - even nice ones (like Verneuil) get them, b/c it's usually the guests who deliver them. So -no guarantees. The best you can do is always check the room before you unpack, look under the mattress covers, between mattress and headboard, behind headboard, etc. Small brown spots and/or strong odor are not good signs.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I have responded many times about my personal experience at Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche. If you type that name into the search field above you will see the posts. You can do the same for the other hotels to see if there are other comments.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I reserved a room for May at the Verneuil, then changed my mind and booked elsewhere. I kept reading (a little too much, for my comfort level) about the small size of the rooms at the Verneuil.
I read nothing about bedbugs ó but that would have dashed any enthusiasm I might have had about the place. Naturally, the hotel is going to say that the problem has been dealt with.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnut, sandi and wanderful for your responses. I think I'll make a booking at le Sainte Beuve - it sounds nice although I believe it's not as well located as the Verneuil.
Wanderful, where did you end up booking?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:49 AM

mideba:

I opted for the Hotel Bonaparte. Iím traveling solo, and its 97 euros per night (taxes and breakfast included), as opposed to the Verneuilís 136 euros per night plus 12 euros a day for breakfast (some reviewers have grumbled about the cost of the Verneuilís breakfast), so Iím saving quite a bit of money over the course of my two-week stay. The HB is a two-star hotel (no bedbugs included) as opposed to Verneuilís supposed three-star status, but HB is known for its cleanliness, helpful status, and central location. Several Fodorites have praised it. Unlike the Verneuil, it doesnít have a minibar, which, for me, means Iíll save more money, but the rooms do have refrigerators, so Iíll probably pick up a bottle of wine or two along the way.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Frigos are better than minibars - you can put your own stuff from the local grocer in there.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Wanderful, please post a report about the Hotel Bonaparte when you return. I also go solo to Paris and have considered staying there next time. Certainly, you can't beat the location, or price!

Mideba, I'm sure you'll like the Sainte Beuve. The location is lovely, and quiet, and it's close to the Metro. Let us know. I'm always interested in hotel information.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses Wanderful. Sue4 and Travelnut. I've just confirmed 5 nights in a classic double room at Hotel Le Sainte Beuve. I've had a good look at the metro map and it seems quite a convenient location. We'll be arriving from London via Eurostar and it's a direct line form Gare du Nord to metro Vavin which will make it handy with our luggage and late arrival.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Sue4:

Iíll be sure to give you useful details about Hotel Bonaparte when I get back. This will be my fourth solo trip to Paris, and my fourth hotel. I always stay at a different hotel, whether I travel to Paris, Rome, Madrid, or other major European city. I want the different perspective and experience, even if Iíve particularly liked a particular place and location. Odd, perhaps.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Not at all odd, I'm exactly the same. On my next trip to Paris I'll be staying at a new hotel, the 8th since 2003. Like you I always change hotels no matter where I go.

Mideba, the Sainte Beuve is in a great location, one of my favourites in Paris.