Paris Hotels - The final contenders?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hours of research on the net and reading the great feedback on this website, we've narrowed our choice of hotels and would appreciate some updated comments from those who have stayed at one of the following:
* Madison
* d'Angleterre - any updates on renovations
* Luxembourg Parc
* Paris Hilton - View of Eiffel Tower
Special needs and preferences:
Bed size: queen or king
Room size: lg enough for 2 comfy chairs
View: gorgeous (bonus if it has a balcony)
Bathroom: Lg. w fixed shower nozzle
Hotel budget: around $300 / night
Location: charming / quiet / nice shops and restaurants / bakeries / easy walk to Eiffel Tower, Musée Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens, Notre Dam, River ride on the Seine.

Many thanks for any insight and favorite rooms you can pass along,
Terry
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM

I have stayed at the Angleterre. Not sure about the renovations but while in Paris a couple of weeks ago I stayed on rue de Verneuil. When I walked on rue Jacob past the hotel there was a construction netting over the front of the building. The lobby still looked the same to me.

I would choose the Luxembourg Parc. The staff is great and the hotel got full marks on tripadvisor.com. My friend will be staying there in June and says the staff seems really lovely. She is picky and has been emailing them about many questions she's got. Her six emails got replied to within one hour.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM

..I assume the Hilton you are talking about is the one on ave Suffren? I love the neighborhood but the hotel is a bit dated (or was a year or so ago when my mother was staying there).
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it is the Hilton on Suffren. I was a little concerned about the limited pictures on Hilton's web site. The view of the Eiffel Tower is the main attraction to me. Looks like the rooms are large too.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

francophile03 - I seem to remember reading that you were disappointed during your last stay at d'Angleterre? Your opinion carries alot of weight with me you've obviously seen alot in Paris. Have you ruled out future stays?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:51 PM

I've stayed at the d'Angleterre 3 times and I can say that their rooms mainly are quite large and at that time very comfortably furnished. I've seen their new website and the redecoration look s lovely. There still was scafolding on the outside 2 months ago , but a peek into the lobby sitting rooms showed new .comfortable looking furniture. whether they have king sized beds, I couldn;t say as we usually request twins, pushed together...my DH is 6'5: and is a blanket hog!

But if you are looking for "views"..neither d'Angleterre or the madison will provide them. I'm sorry but I don't understand the need for a hotel room view. I'm up and out at 6 AM , before the city wakes , in at 6 PM to rest and change for diner..I'd rather be "in the view" than looking at it!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM

see my previous posts on the madison. can't type more because of an accident/broken shoulder bone.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Underhill,
Sorry to hear about your accident. I was wondering about you. You're usually pretty active on this site. I have read your reviews. Thank you.

Jody,
Thanks so much for the feedback... yes, I agree "who needs a view"! I'm traveling with my parents so we're trying to cover all the creature comforts for Dad needs to rest his "ole bones".
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM

After considering your requirements, why not plan to stay at the Hotel Pont Royal in the 7th and spend a little (maybe considerably) more. At least you have a great HQ, with a wonderful staff, and you can eliminate the hotel as a stress point for your trip. Then you can enjoy Paris. Gradyghost
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM

The Hilton rooms are quite large for France - but there are definitely not two comfy chairs -
we had two chairs - but one was a desk chair - and the other sort of a basket chair effort - not specially comfy. I think for that you will need to go to a true luxury property - unless you have inside info on these other hotels or perhaps a suite.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM

May I make a suggestion? I have never stayed in this hotel but it is around the corner from where I lived. I passed it frequently and had dinner (not frequently enough) in a restaurant next to the hotel (in fact I think a part of it). The hotel is Duc de Saint simon. It is in your price range..just.. if you mean 300 per room. The rooms I think are a bit smaller than you want but otherwise would be a very comfotable hotel.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Hi iwannago2, I stayed at the Angleterre in October 2002. The management has since then remodeled many of the rooms. Also they have created a brand-new website so that you can now have an idea of what the rooms look like. In addition, their rates now include a buffet breakfast.
It seems as though they are doing more renovating when I was last there New Year's weekend.

I would really suggest the Luxembourg Parc instead. But that's my preference as I've stayed at the Angleterre and don't have fond memories so I don't want to stay there again. The staff was allright, not the best. And I don't like their silly reservation policy of sending a personal check in order to guarantee the reservation. In this modern day they refuse to take credit cards as a guarantee. So I paid $25 to FedEx my check in time for their deadline. Then upon checkout early the night clerk couldn't release my check as it was the day clerk who had the safe key. So the night clerk actually had to call the day clerk at her home and had me speak to her to decide how I want the check handled. Either I could have the clerk tear it up or mail it bo me. I told her to tear it up whenshe arrived to the hotel. Such a stupid inconvenience that could've been avoided if they just took credit cards as a guarantee to begin with.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:14 PM

I have stayed at the Angleterre a few times and have never not liked my room or the hotel. We always request a courtyard view, as I would rather not listen to street sounds. The courtyard is view enough, as jody says, you look out ,see if it is raining, and leave the room
Our rooms were always large, 2 or 3 windows, desk, big bed and big bathroom.
Now with the renovations, the rooms are really pretty.
The staff takes great care of its guests too.
Last time we were there, we had a sofa, chairs and desk, plus a fireplace.
The Luxembourg Parc has gotten good reviews from my friends except for the part about the very small rooms.
Good luck, whichever hotel you pick, you will no doubt, have a wonderful time in Paris.
Btw, we will be in an apt this time, with a view of the Eiffel Tower from our apt
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks francophile03, that's exactly the kind of intel that separates the finalist.
I misunderstood... you have stayed at the Luxembourg Parc (or you have a friend that will stay there)? Just trying to see if it really does meet most of the wishlist. It's way too much money to be disappointed on our first trip to Paris.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Why on earth would you pay $25.00 to Fedex a check to a hotel! 80 cents will get it to anywhere in Europe in a week and $5.00 for global priority mail will get it there in 2 days?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I had to get it there for sure within the week, Jody! How do I know the mail would not be delayed? Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM

iwannago2, it's a friend who will be staying at the Luxembourg Parc.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I would rule out the Hilton...I bellieve it caters to large groups...last time we ducked in to use the faciliites and the lobby was full of luggage and the air was so thick with cigarette smoke from a huge group of tourists I could barely breathe. Great location but no charm.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Although I haven't stayed overnight at the Luxembourg Parc, I followed its construction fairly closely (it used to be an old 2 * hotel next to the dorm I lived in when I was a student in Paris) and went in to see the public rooms and check out the guest rooms when it opened. It's stylish but conservative; the rooms are adequately sized but not huge. The staff were very helpful in showing me around and describing the renovations. The views of the Luxembourg Gardens (not all rooms have LG views) were terrific. As a new hotel, it doesn't have the character of some of the older hotels, but Lord knows, it's got way more character than the Hilton.
The only good thing I could say about the Hilton is that some rooms have Eiffel Tower views. But you can get those views from many other, much more charming hotels in the 7th (or the 16th, for that matter).
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM
annaj

I have stayed at the Luxembourg Parc and will be returning this Spring. Rooms are beautifully decorated-wonderful fabrics, parquet floors, etc. Great bathrooms, too. It is now being compared to a mini Crillon-see Frommer's 2005.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -