Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotels - so many choices (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-so-many-choices-101199/)

Lisa Jan 21st, 2001 07:10 AM

Paris Hotels - so many choices

I will be in Paris the first week in July as part of a 3 week vacation in France. I have read several message boards and searched on a few hotel booking web sites. I think I have narrowed my choices down to 3 possibilities. I am on a fairly tight budget and the maximum I can afford to spend on a hotel is $125.00 per night. <BR>1) Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (at $113 for a double)12 rue Vieille du Temple in the 4th <BR>2)Hotel Bedford (at $113 for a double)17 rue de l'Arcade in the 8th <BR>3) Hotel Muguet in the 7 th (at $86 for a double) <BR>I am looking for a hotel with clean comfortable rooms (with a shower in the room) as well as airconditioning. The Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais sounds so charming. Your insights will be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>

Wendy Jan 21st, 2001 07:56 AM

Try www.hotelquaiduvoltaire.com

Maira Jan 21st, 2001 10:06 AM

Well, now that you have narrowed it to three, you should decide by neighborhood. Tough to beat the 7th, and besides, I am so biased for the Muguet that it isn't even fair! :-). The street, Rue Chevert, is lined with apartment buildings and travel agencies, which means it is a bustling neighborhhod during the day and very quiet at night. It was wonderful to walk to the Eiffel Tower, les Invalides, two metro stations, Rodin Museum, Musee D'Orsay, etc.....

RJD Jan 21st, 2001 10:18 AM

My favorite site for Paris hotels, one I've used a number of times is:www.webscapades.com/france/paris/paris.htm. Good maps, good hotel info and some specials. Give it a try.

elaine Jan 22nd, 2001 04:48 AM

I am amazed at the price for the Caron de Beaumarchais--that is much lower than I was ever quoted, but I believe that I was interested in one of their larger rooms. I had almost booked that hotel myself for my trip last month. All I can say is that I've never heard a negative comment on that hotel; rooms are rather small I've been told, but that is par for the course in most small hotels in Paris. The Caron also has air conditioning and provides amenities like bathrobes. Their breakfast has been said to be very good.

Marcos Velez Jan 22nd, 2001 12:17 PM

does anyone have an e-mail address for the Caron de Beaumarchais? <BR> <BR>Marcos <BR>

elaine Jan 22nd, 2001 02:34 PM

I don't have a direct email, but you can get reservation info from several websites including hotelboulevard.com <BR>This is their fax number <BR>fax 42 72 34 63

Meg Jan 22nd, 2001 02:41 PM

For Wendy <BR> <BR>I just tried www.hotelquaiduvoltaire.com and I get a message that there is no such address. I have tried with little success to get internet information on this hotel (area, rooms, location, restaurants, ease of metro and other transportation). <BR>Do you have another internet address or information personally about this hotel that you can share with me? Feel free to e-mail me directly. <BR>Thanks

Lesli Jan 22nd, 2001 02:59 PM

Hotel du Quai Voltaire: http://www.parishotels.com/html/view...l=2.19&pays=gb

Laura Trevino Jan 22nd, 2001 03:52 PM

If the three hotels you're considering don't work out, check out a great little site called Hotel Boulevard, www.hotelboulevard.com. You can easily search neighborhood, price, class, amenities, etc. I used them to book in Paris and was very happy. Plus, there actual people behind the reservations system so if you have any questions or problems there is always help!

austin Jan 22nd, 2001 04:45 PM

<BR>Lisa <BR> <BR>I think you have been misinformed. There is no way in theworld that you can get a double at the Bedford which is a 4 star hotel--for $113 <BR> <BR>Which makes me wonder about the other prices---I know Caron Beaumarchais is more than that. <BR> <BR>Just check the prices out in your red Michelin or on Utells website or even on the hotels own websites for the corect prices. <BR> <BR>Incidentally a standar double at the Bedford will run you about $175 at todays exchange rate and its worth every penny <BR> <BR>AH

Hope Jan 22nd, 2001 05:07 PM

I've actually found the Caron de Beaumarchais listed for about $125 a night (790-870 FF) on a couple of web sites (Fodors, Frommers and ParisHotels.com). Not sure how updated they are, but thought that sounded great. Also just found information about another hotel called Bretonnerie which is also in Marais (4e) which is listed (2001 rates) for 870 FF for a superior room. Anyone know about that?? Looks like a pretty good location, but that is just on a map. Also curious about the Hotel du Champ de Mars right on the border between 7e and 15e right near the base of the Eiffel Tower. Thoughts, suggestions???

wendy Jan 22nd, 2001 05:14 PM

My apologies to everyone who has had a problem accessing this website of the Hotel du Quai Voltaire! That is what I get for typing too fast. Try again: <BR>www.hotelduquaivoltaire.com <BR> <BR>My best, Wendy

Randy Jan 22nd, 2001 05:22 PM

Another web site you may check out is http://www.parishotels.com/ Last Septmeber I stayed at the Hotel Residence Monge in the Latin Quarter area and the price for a double is 550F (approx. $70) the rooms where also small but they were clean. Julie at the desk was most helpful. Two metro stops within a block. Easy walk to Notre Dame.