Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels..Plaza Athenee, Hotel Lancaster or George V

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:31 AM
AMartin

My friend and I are having trouble deciding which hotel to stay at. I know all will be beautiful and we probably can't go wrong with any of them but I wondered if someone could tell me which hotel would be in the quietest location?

One final question, I've searched this website and can't find any personal recommendations for the Hotel Lancaster. Has anyone stayed there recently?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Letah

I would suggest the Lancaster because I find it to be a bit more charming than the other two you are considering. It is smaller and has a more intimate feel to it. My husband and I stayed at the Lancaster in October 2001. I had wanted to stay here since I had spent a semester in college and frequently stopped in for a drink. It took twenty years for my dream to come true! We stayed in the Pastourchof room(sp?) and thought it was very spacious and beautiful, especially for a Paris hotel. The concierge was extremely helpful in assisting with dinner reservations before our arrival. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Sherri Kardell

Ditto for the Lancaster; possibly the best city hotel experience ever.The rooms are spacious and elegent and the staff is second to none.
Thr George V is beautiful too ; but it has more of a "hotel" feeling. The room I was in was large and well decorated ; but it lacked the warmth style and elegence of the Lancaster; the service was good ; but not exceptional.
Try logging onto parisby.com for more info. look under 5 star hotels( even though France only rates up to 4 stars)
Viva La France

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
gameplayer

Has anyone tried playing this game?

Some of you have $500 a night to spend. You could get a small room at the posh Ritz, Crillion or George V. Sure you could say you stayed there but that's their bottom of their barrell just to get you in the door.

My choice would be to get a gorgeous suite or Jr. Suite at a very nice 4 star property. Why don't people think to do that?

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sherri Kardell

I I have tried it sometimes it works ;sometimes it does not.Some people are not going to go back to Paris or Rome or wherever and they want a once in a life to experience; to each his own.
Just my opinon ... not an attack

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:57 PM
hazel

One more cheer for the Lancaster. We stayed there for our 20th anniversary and over New Years Eve. The concierge was great and the hotel had a very intimate, non-US chain hotel feel. Large room with beautiful marble bath. Location is convenient to public transportation but is quiet nearby. Enjoy!