Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels-Leaving the Caron!!!!Langlois vs Bretonnerie and Jeanne D'Arc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:10 PM
LAW

<BR><BR>&nbsp; <BR>My husband and I have been staying at The Caron De Beaumarchais annually for 5 years. We did not mind when the price was inexpensive but we are going for a new experience this year as the price has now gone up 50% since we starting staying there. We love the Marais and we are looking at both the Hotel Bretonnerie and the Grande Hotel Jeanne D'arc. <BR><BR>The Bretonnerie is priced like the Caron and we were hoping for a larger room( we have booked a chambre de charmes).The Jeanne D'arc has a great price but we hear it is a role of the dice for a large room.Has anyone stayed at both? Any favorite rooms to request in either? <BR><BR>We have the 2001 National Geographic Traveller article about Paris Hotel rooms under $100.00, and are intrigued by the Hotel Langlois( former Hotel des Croises) as the rooms sound wonderful. I have not seen anything on the hotel forum about it and the 9th is far from the Marais.Has anyone stayed there?Are the rooms worth the trek? Any suggestions about our hotel dilemma?? <BR><BR>Thank you for your time and look forward to your response. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:17 PM
barb

I have stayed at the Bretonnerie several times. The last time was 2 yrs ago. The rooms are charming, and the breakfast room which is a cave, is charming as well. However, it has no air conditioning which is why I will not be staying there again in the late spring or summertime. No fans either. It was unbearably hot on our last trip and it was very noisy outside with the windows open.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Barb<BR><BR>Was there any room you would suggest as I hear they vary in size?How was the staff?Would you go in early spring?/ Thanks for any info.<BR><BR>PS-has any Fodorite stayed at the Hotel Langlois??
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Was in contact with the Hotel Langlois last Spring &amp; I found they've raised their prices since that article (maybe because of it). Had planned to stay in the apartment under the eaves, but again, not as inexpensive as I had hoped. AND it's in the 9th so you're pretty close to the Pigalle area, which we didn't feel we'd be comfortable walking thru at night.<BR><BR>I AM staying at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc this coming April but I haven't stayed there yet. Don't know how much this will influence you but these have been my limited experience with both.<BR><BR>MaryC
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Dear Mary C.<BR>Thanks for Langlois info.Prices are up but suite still 130 euros. I Do not care for Pigalle proximity though..<BR>What made you decide to be a first time Jeanne D'arc person as I am considering same. Did you have any friends that stayed there? Any special rooms to ask for? <BR><BR>thanks<BR>LAW
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:49 AM
aj

LAW,<BR><BR>We have stayed at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc three times and really enjoy it. Do not expect luxury but the rooms are clean,the decor nice and the bathrooms very clean!!! There is also a lift if you need one. It is a small hotel with friendly helpful staff. We also love the Marais area. The hotel is situated just off the Place St. Catherine which is surrounded by bistros and cafes. We love the area. The cost is about 75 euro double per night. For the cost and the great location I don't think you can go wrong.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:06 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Brettonerie this past November for a week in a room de charme for 140 euros/night. We loved it, we had the red room they show on the website. It seemed roomy for a Parisian hotel and was very romantic, the staff was friendly and helpful too. We breakfasted in the breakfast room twice, which was also charming but expensive. It was November as I said so the lack of airconditioning wasn't an issue. It is in the same area as the Caron so you would be familiar with the area.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Dear all-Thanks for the info. Think we will try the Bretonnerie.<BR><BR>Fodorites are the best in making travel decision.If anyone does stay at the Langlois please post -would love the info!!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:58 PM

We've stayed at the Bretonnerie several times, always in a &quot;charming&quot; room, and have been very satisfied (as have the friends we've sent there). The rooms are HUGE by Paris standards, and our marble bath has also been large. I would recommend skipping the hotel breakfast (there and any other hotel, for that matter), and getting your coffee/croissant at a nearby bar.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:44 AM

LAW, I see you've chosen to stay at the Bretonnerie, very nice choice! I think you'll enjoy your stay there.<BR><BR>But to answer your question to me:<BR>1) Was looking to stay in the Marais, as I'd already stayed in the 5th &amp; the 7th and wanted to try somewhere new; plus, the oldness of the Marais appeals to me.<BR>2) Was looking to stay somewhere very inexpensive but not a bad place or drab; price for single is 53 euro/night and that appeals to me. When you're sharing the cost of the room with someone more hotel choices open up for you.<BR>3) Grand Hotel Jeanne d'arc was mentioned in a LOT of guidebooks I'd read so I felt comfortable that it was a nice place to stay.<BR>4) It's location in the Marais can't be beat - smack dab in the middle, very near the Place des Vosges and right on the Place St. Catherine.<BR>5) Good friends such as AJ recommend it highly and I trust AJ's opinion.<BR>6) Blue rooms (LOVE BLUE rooms - probably a silly consideration but I can't help it - they also have coral rooms but that color doesn't appeal to me so I expressly requested the blue) &amp; reputation for having VERY CLEAN rooms &amp; rooms that are larger than normal.<BR><BR>To answer your last question, I asked for a blue room with a view, streetside. I understand the courtside rooms are quieter but wanted a view of the street life. : )<BR><BR>Hope you have a GREAT TIME in Paris!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Daer Alohatoall<BR>Thanks for the info.As an experienced Bretonnerie-do you have any favorite rooms worth requesting? Any must to avoid?Would appreciate any insider's tips you can share!! Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Dear Beatchick<BR>I hope you have a great time at the Jeanne D'arc and post your adventures on thispage-Bon Voyage and Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:15 PM

I believe ours was #37, which is a large L-shaped room with a canopy bed and great bath, but it's on the front of the hotel and might be noisy if you have to open the windows. #25 is on the interior courtyard, quite large and quiet. I also noted that #20 and 21 are nice but nothing else about them. I would definitely avoid the rooms which have a bedroom upstairs and sitting area downstairs.