Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris hotels in the latin quarter: Need information for upcoming trip

Paris hotels in the latin quarter: Need information for upcoming trip

Sep 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Paris hotels in the latin quarter: Need information for upcoming trip

Has anyone recently stayed at any of the following hotels: Hotel Abbatial St. Germain, Hotel Familia, Hotel Saint Jaqcques, Hotel du Levant, Hotel Sully St. Germain, or Hotel henri IV Rive Gauche?

If so, could you please share or experience or offer another suggestion? Thanks! I'm going for four nights at the end of November with another friend.

Sep 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM

Most of those names look familiar. I suggest that you use the search box and see how others here have commented in the past. Make sure you spell the names right. Some of your spellings look a little off, as the Brits would say.
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. Some of the hotels have more hits than others, and I would still be interested in any recent experiences.
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM

I had a very poor experience with Hotel du Levant, but that was quite awhile back (1999).

We left after one night & moved to Dacia Luxembourg a couple blocks away and loved it!

Use the 'search' there are two other threads going today and yesterday on exactly this subject or I'll try to top them for you.
Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:05 AM

One of my favourite hotels in the Latin quarter is the Hotel Central Saint Germain! The hotel has a really beautiful decoration, very romantic...all the charm of Paris in this hotel! Look at its website to have a better view of what you can expect from this hotel: www.centralstgermain.com! Enjoy your beautiful trip to Paris
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:37 AM

Hello-
I have never been to those hotels, however, am also researching the Latin Quarter and have decided that the Hotel de College du France is very resonable, well-located and they have been very helpful in my communications. Has anybody stayed there ?
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:57 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Familia last year for 3 days. The location is excellent and I will stay there again this year.

However, single rooms at this hotel are tiny..it is better worth just going for at least a double. ask for a room facing the street. The rooms at the Hotel Minerve (right next door, owned by the same family) are larger and nicer and not much more expensive.

The Familia is a 2* hotel, Minerve is 3*. Easiest way to get there is RER from Charles de Gaulle, get off at Notre Dame/St. Michel. You can walk from there if you dont have too much luggage. Two nearest metro stops are Cardinal Lemoine and Maubert Mutualite.

Breakfast was tiny, I would recommend a very nice diner just a few doors down (Breakfast in America), also a great place to get travel advice from Americans that live in Paris. service was prompt and polite. Everything was close by- restaurants, nightlife, sightseeing. internet bar basically across the street.
Hope this helps.
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM

I can also highly suggest Hotel Residence Monge in the same area and price range as the others mentioned.
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:08 AM

We have stayed many times in the Latin Quater and love it, our favourite hotel is Grandes Ecoles, the hotel is on 3 sides of a lovely courtyard/garden you can't believe you are in a city, if the weather is good guests sit out drinking wine from the local supermarket and chatting but not in NOv!! Rooms vary in size, some are small,but are spotless and very French. Breakfast is available but no bar or evening meals but there are so many bars and restaurants close by. Location is great 10 - 15 miute walk downhill to Notre Dame, check out Rue Mouffetard, has a real village feel and pleasantly lively at night. Also stayed at Hotel du Pantheon (ecoles was fully booked),would go back here again if price right.
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:45 AM

I stayed at the Abbatial St. Germain a couple of years ago so my comments are not recent. You can find some recent comments on tripadvisor.com.

I liked the hotel-good enough 3*. We had a triple room, not too small, and it had a view of the Pantheon from the two large windows overlooking Blvd. St. Germain. The bathroom window-when opened-had a tiny view of the Notre Dame spires. Had a balcony on the blvd. side but not that you will actually want to walk and stand on it.
Walls are thin as are most Parisian hotels. Bathroom was small but very modern and good. Buffet continental breakfast in the cellar was nice too. Staff is very nice and helpful.
Just ask for a large room on either the 5th or 6th floor and also be sure to ask for a view and it'll be guaranteed.
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:00 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Central St Germaine in 2002 - we had a great visit. The staff was very accomodating. The hotel is perfectly located in the Latin Quarter, you can walk to Notre Dame, public transportation very convenient. It is a classic Paris hotel, though, with small rooms, if that is a issue. Very charming. tkeats
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:45 AM

The Saint-Jacques has had great comments right here, and also at
www.tripadvisor.com
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:07 AM

okoshi2002, to answer your question, I stayed at the Hotel du College de France in 2002, and highly recommend it, for pretty much the same reasons you already know about: very reasonable rates, good location, and friendly service. It also gets consistently good reviews on tripadvisor.
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Bree
Thank you for the feedback re College- am looking forward to our stay.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM

I am looking for a hotel for my daughter in the Latin Quarter, near students and schools. She will be traveling alone for to Paris and will be there for 4 nights in July...any suggestions???
Jun 26th, 2006, 07:41 PM

slinder

You probably meant to post your question elsewhere- this is an old post. Post your question in Europe forum under France. Should get lots of feedback.

As I mentioned above, we did stay at Collegedu France which was a great little hotel near Latin Quarter.
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM

hotel sully was fine and would go back if rate was competitive.

Search this Thread