Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotels in Saint Germain area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-in-saint-germain-area-846063/)

Ringerdog Jun 21st, 2010 04:05 PM

Paris hotels in Saint Germain area

We are an elderly couple looking at Agora Saint Germain Hotel for November and traveling on a very limited budget. We would like opinions of the hotel and information about rate deals if our reservations are made well in advance. Our limit is $130/night. Thanks!

jpie Jun 21st, 2010 04:25 PM

I just helped a friend look at hotels in that area and found 2 that look really great for under 100 euros.

Here are the 2 that he decided to try (he is going to Florence for a week and then coming back to Paris so thought he would try out both)

Hotel des deux continents: This place looks pretty nice(kind of crazy decor :) and starts at 92 euros for a single with air conditioning. It is a 3 star so a really good price for the area.
http://www.hoteldes2continents.com/

Hotel Crystal
http://www.hotelcrystalsaintgermainp...m/rooms_1.html internet special 110 euros they also have a package rate of 3 days or more at 106 euros

I haven't stayed at either since we generally stay with family-but they both seem to get high marks and I think the price is really good.

Also, if you don't already know this if you enter St Germain des Pres on google maps and then put in hotels in the area that say "search nearby"-you will find some really great choices complete with reviews from various sites like yahoo and trip advisor. There is SO much great info these days "folded into" the google search these days that is now how I always start looking for restaurants and hotels when I I know the area I want to focus on like you do.

Hope this helps-you will get other great suggestions I am sure from folks who love this neighborhood.

Ringerdog Jun 21st, 2010 06:20 PM

Thanks for the information. What website are you using to find those rates? I am finding much higher rates for November 9-14. I appreciate your help.

worldinabag Jun 21st, 2010 06:30 PM

Hi

Just check though that the Chrystal Hotel has an elevator. I note on their website ("Room" link) that it states "no elevator to the fifth floor".

grandmere Jun 21st, 2010 08:07 PM

I'm amazed that anyone is getting Deux Continents for 92 euro; wonder if that is for Aug.? It is generally much higher than that.

Guenmai Jun 21st, 2010 10:31 PM

I know both of those hotels. Well, finally the Deux Continents has been mentioned, huh, grandmere? That hotel goes way back and was very popular in the 70s and 80s. It's on a nice street, and is north of Blvd. St.Germain. And I also know the Crystal Hotel on the rue Benoit, also north of Blvd.St.Germain, a few steps from the Cafe Flore. I laughed when I read that one as I remember walking a friend over to it back in the 80s as he arrived into Paris sans hotel reservation and in July. They had a room for him though. The rooms are small, but the hotel was fine.

I have a hotel thread. Just type in the Search box,"Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread" and it'll pop up. The Right Bank thread is linked to it. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 21st, 2010 10:34 PM

Correction: "rue Saint Benoit". Happy Travels!

cls2paris Jun 22nd, 2010 04:10 AM

The Hotel Agora is in the Latin Quarter, not St. Germain. It looks like a nice hotel though! If you are looking in that area, I recently stayed at Hotel des Carmes. Their rates are the same as Agora, and maybe a little less. It is located not far from the Agora, closer to the Maubert-Mutualite metro stop.

ThinGorjus Jun 22nd, 2010 04:45 AM

The Hotel Agora is NOT in the 6th, it is in the 5th, so it is not in the area known as "Saint Germain." It is in the Latin Quarter.

If you want to stay in the 5th, an affordable hotel is the Hotel College de France on Rue Thenard. The staff is lovely.
The hotel has an elevator.

The bad thing about staying in certain areas of the Latin Quarter, especially if you are staying near the Pantheon, is that you are on a hill. This can be problematic if you are very elderly and you have trouble walking.

Thin

Christina Jun 22nd, 2010 08:59 AM

92 euro is a normal rate for Deux COntinents for a single if you book 3 nights in July/August. YOu can even get a double for 111 euro if you book 3 nights during summer. That isn't the rate the rest of the year, a lot of hotels have lower rates in July.

The Agora hotel isn't too bad in terms of hills, as I recall. It's down near bd St Germain. Of course they are trying to impress people by adding "St Germain" to their name when they aren't in St Germain. YOU should check their sister hotel, the Abbatial, as it is on bd St Germain and might be a little more convenient location. It's only a few euro more per night.

AS far as discounts for paying in advance, if a hotel has such a deal (and many do), it will be offered on their website. Lots of hotels in Paris seem to use this same software company now, I've noticed, and more do seem to have special rates -- a lot have lower rates if you book at least 3 nights, and some for prepayment, of course. You won't get any discount for booking in advance if you don't prepay, that wouldn't make sense, as you could just cancel.

Ringerdog Jun 22nd, 2010 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the good information about hotels. I am confused about how to get from CDG airport to Agora Saint Germain. Is a taxi very expensive? Also, is it worthwhile to buy a museum pass for a 4 day trip, and does anyone know about the hop-on, hop-off bus service?

cls2paris Jun 22nd, 2010 09:42 AM

The taxi will be about 50 euro from the airport. Museum passes are great for some people, others don't think they are, it depends on how you like to travel. You may want to do a search here on paris museum pass, there is a lot of information both pro and con. Same with the hop on /hop off bus. If you haven't found your answers, then start a new topic for the new questions. You'll get a better response rate than having it buried in a hotel thread.

Paris is great fun!

Midnightsun Jun 22nd, 2010 10:03 AM

A bit cheaper than a taxi from the airport would be a shuttle. They are about 32 euros per couple, can be reserved in advance, and will take you to your hotel. I believe it's a bit cheaper if you book them round trip. We've had success with Bluvan (http://www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/).

jpie Jun 22nd, 2010 10:56 AM

I was just accessing the individual hotel web sites. My friend's 92 euroe rate at the Deux Continents was for July 9th this year as Christina said-he is staying more than 3 days. But it was only a bit higher for one or two nights. Also, by the way, they told him they run a shuttle from CDG for 28 euros to the hotel which is a very good price-it is 20 euros per person if you are 2 people. Normally a taxi will run you at least 50 euros or more depending on traffic time of day and luggage.

ThinGorjus Jun 22nd, 2010 06:59 PM

The taxi fare will be more like 60 euros, not 50.

I took a taxi from the Rue Thenard (just a few blocks from the Agora Hotel) to CDG last year and the fare was 60 euros. This taxi ride took place on a Saturday morning with NO traffic.

You could take the RER B from CDG to St. Michel and then walk along the Quay Tournelle to your hotel. This would save you about 50 euros.

I would rather splurge on the taxi, but you write above that you are on a budget. The RER B gets very crowded as it makes its way through the suburbs of Paris to the city. But, it is cheap.

Thin

lincasanova Jun 23rd, 2010 02:15 AM

We stayed at the sully st. germaii and thought it was fine for what we paid. Quaint room decoration. Minature bathroom.

Ringerdog Jun 23rd, 2010 04:41 AM

What metro line would you take from CDG to Agora St. Germain in the Latin Quarter? Thanks

ThinGorjus Jun 23rd, 2010 05:10 AM

>What metro line would you take from CDG to Agora St. Germain in the Latin Quarter? Thanks<

>You could take the RER B from CDG to St. Michel and then walk along the Quay Tournelle to your hotel. This would save you about 50 euros<

Duh!

Seriously, guv, read what has already been posted. People here are trying to help you, but you've got to pay attention.

Thin

allib123 Jun 23rd, 2010 06:52 AM

If you want to take the less expensive option of going from CDG airport by the subway RER B,to the St. Michel exit, this website will familarize you with the airport/important signs to look for...

http://parisbytrain.com/paris-airpor...in-photo-tour/

Please know that when you exit the subway, there are at least two long flights of stairs to climb to ground level, and this may be challenging with luggage and jet lag, regardless of age. When you reach ground level you are looking at the Notre Dame Cathedral, and could flag a taxi for the short ride if needed, or walk across the street and sit at the cafe for a breather and refreshment, then make your way to the hotel. Thin is right, the splurge to arrive at your hotel without the stress is probably worth it!

grandmere Jun 23rd, 2010 11:36 AM

Not sure what you mean by "elderly", but IMO, anyone who calls him/herself that should probably not attempt the RER after flying all night, etc., and as others have said, it's a bit of a challenge for any age. I'd splurge on a taxi or a private shuttle; I like Shuttle-Inter. www.shuttle-inter.com