Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels - Hotel Mercedes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 11:48 AM
Mary

My sister told me about the Fodor's travel forum last Saturday and I have been reading the Paris hotel comments with great interest. My husband and I are traveling with my sister and her husband to Paris for two weeks at the end of April. Our travel agent has recommended the Hotel Mercedes on Avenue Wagram in the 17th. Does anyone know about this hotel? It is rated 3 stars but I am interested in the area (safe, convenient, etc.). Thank you.

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 04:52 PM
Louis Dameson

The hotel rates a mention in Fodor's Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris. It is convenient to the Metro station Wagam about a block away. Depending on your interests you are not really easy walking distance to much of anything but Parc de Monceau. Unless you are people that enjoy walking miles a day, you will be taking the metro or bus a good part of the day to the areas that interest you.
You of course can take a taxi, but under some traffic conditions the metro is faster. You are on the No. 3 metro line and it does stop at Opera. Your major right bank transfer will be at Palais Royal (Musee du Louvre) and you will need two transfers to get to many of the points of interest on the left back. Get a good map book such a Michelin No.11 which gives you bus and metro routes also. Fodors indicates the following about the hotel. 37 rooms with bath, shower, air-conditioning, WC, telephone, cable TV,& minibar. Beakfast buffet 50F. Double 680F triple 830F, suite-bureau 850F, duplex 1200F.
The Mercedes is a superb example of 1930s architecture. Steps at the corner of the building lead to a huge lounge and lobby with small contemperary chairs in multicolored leather and a decor of yellow plasterwork. The bedrooms are in softer colors, with lime-green wall fabrics and green carpets and headboards and dessing tables in varnished burl. In the larger rooms, several pieces of 1930's furniture have been added, and the smaller rooms have a very charming outside loggia. Special mention should be made of the extraordinary duplex suite, whose bedroom is on a platform overlooking the lounge and a huge, glassed-in semi-cercular area with a panoramic view of Paris. Another stunning architectural feature is the basement rotunda with four magnificent stained-glass window by the turn-of-the-century glassmaker Gruber. The delicious breakfast buffet is servied here, and next to this room is an inviting bar. My comments are that the rates are outstanding values but I would like to in closer walking distance to things that interest me. I have stayed in the 16th arr. but not in the 17 arr. It is most certainly a nice area and very safe.

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 05:08 PM
Lidia

I haven't stayed there but I have a friend that lives near there. I agree with the first person who posted you it is not within walking distance of anything. I suggest the 1st Hotel Moliere or the 7th. I am partial to the 1st. If you have any questions feel free to Email me I will be in Paris from April 29 until May 9th. visiting my family

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 10:18 PM
Mary

Thank you for replying; extremely helpful information! It may be too late to change without much difficulty so we may be stuck with the location. We have used the Metro extensively on prior visits and it sounds like we will on this trip as well. Is the hotel in a primarily residential area? Are any restaurants and shops nearby? THANKS AGAIN!

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 10:19 PM
Mary

Thank you for replying; extremely helpful information! It may be too late to change without much difficulty so we may be stuck with the location. We have used the Metro extensively on prior visits and it sounds like we will on this trip as well. Is the hotel in a primarily residential area? Are any restaurants and shops nearby? THANKS AGAIN!

Old Apr 8th, 1998, 09:14 AM
Louis Dameson

I would consider the area as primarily residential. There however should be a number of restaurants within easy walking distance. Michlins indicate several one and two star places in the 17th arr., a couple of braseries, and about 12 restaurants with menus in the 100 to 150F range. Today 100F is about the least you would expect to pay for a fixed price meal in the 17 arr..

Old Apr 9th, 1998, 12:56 PM
Dave

I would like to add my thanks for the information about the Hotel Mercedes. My wife and I are also being steered by our American Express travel agent to the Hotel Mercedes. I posted a message on this forum regarding the Mercedes during the middle of March. I was advised that the hotel is in a neighborhood of nice apartments (quiet at night) and is only 100 yards to the Wagram metro station. It is a little out of the way but is a very good deal for a 3 star hotel. We are going to be is Paris for 18 days and don't mind a little extra time on the Metro; we can cover a lot of nice meals with the savings! ANY MORE INFORMATION ON THIS HOTEL OR THE 17TH (OR PARIS) WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THIS FORUM IS A GREAT WAY TO LEARN FROM FELLOW TRAVELERS.

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 07:09 PM
Corky

I agree with the comments about the 17th Arr. It is quite nice, although somewhat on the quiet side for Paris. The only area it is not as nice is where it abuts the 18th Arr. (Montmartre). You will get more of the feel of living in Paris rather than visiting.