Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels: Henri IV Rive Gauche vs. Hotel de Varenne

Feb 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi-
Trying to decide between these 2 hotels for June trip. I have read TripAdvisor reviews and looked at previous threads. Does anyone have any feedback on advantages/disadvantages when comparing these 2?
Thanks!
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Both hotels look nice and the Varenne has a nice garden. But they are not only located in two different districts, but the atmosphere in both are different. The Henri IV Rive Gauche is located in the very busy, lively Latin Quarter (5th district) whereas the Varenne is in a genteel, residential district (the 7th) that is home to several embassies. The 5th district generally has alot more choices as to restaurants, cafes, and nightlife when compared with the 7th.
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:47 PM

francophile03 hits it pretty well on the head-depends on which area interest you the most.

We stopped in and had a look at the Varenne; it looked beautiful and relaxing, not too far from the Rodin museum if I remember correctly. Definitely a quieter area that the other.
Feb 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling with my 12 year old. Would we have reason to prefer one neighborhood vs the other?
Feb 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Personally, I think you and your child would like Hotel Henri because of the bustling neighborhood. You are one block from the Seine and Notre Dame. There are also many affordable restaurants and street food vendors. Walking distance to Ste.Chappelle and the Louvre...
Feb 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at one or both of the hotels? I am curious how the rooms etc. compare...
Feb 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Ag3046

I second sandi_travelnut's comments. Hotel Henri V location would be far more interesting to a 12 year old - maybe ever more Parisien? However, I have not stayed in either place.

Feb 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM

I stayed at Hotel Henri in Dec. '04 in a triple with husband and son while my parents had a double room. Decent sized rooms. lots of hanging closet space, and the triple was very spacious. The bathrooms were large, marble and modern. Try to get a room facing rue st. Jacques, which has a breathtalking view of St. Severin across the street with the Eiffel Tower visible in the background. The interior rooms have no view at all.

There are some good pictures on the website. I loved the hotel and will stay there again.
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

topping