Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotels/foodies (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-foodies-512973/)

aubergine Mar 16th, 2005 07:29 AM

Paris hotels/foodies

My family and I are travelling to Paris. My husband is a chef, hence we are all foodies. Looking for a charming hotel in the 5th/6th no more than 160euros/night as we need 2 rooms....Plan to spend more $$ on dining. Anyone been to Allard?
Thanks for any advice!

jody Mar 16th, 2005 07:44 AM

we were at Allard about 2 weeks ago..excellent . I had the mache and beetroot salad as an entree..I wish I could figure out EXACTLY what is in the dressing..then the plat du jour..braised beef with a ton of vegetables and all the fromage I cared to help myself too. DH had the foie gras then beautiful scallops..with roe!!!.. in a white wine sauce and an apple tart with a bottle of Gevrey. Excellent meal. The person next to us was having the guinea fowl and it looked wonderful too.

If you are going soon..before hot weather..you might try the du Danube on Rue Jacob .Their superior rooms are 135E or the d'Angleterre nearby, which is air conditioned.They both have websites. www.hoteldanube.fr or www.hotel-dangleterre.com

Underhill Mar 16th, 2005 08:20 AM

Do you mean a maximum of 160€ for 2 rooms or per room?

aubergine Mar 16th, 2005 08:45 AM

160/per room. Any ideas?

ira Mar 16th, 2005 08:51 AM

Hi aubergine,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. About 124E-150E dbl w/bkfst

Hotel Bonaparte
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

elaine Mar 16th, 2005 08:58 AM

Hi
when are you going? That is, will you need air conditioning?

In January I stayed in a very nice hotel in the heart of the 6th, the Delavigne on rue Casimir Delavigne. The hotel is in seemingly brand-new condition, with contemporary but charming and warm decor. There is an elevator. Breakfast, an additional 10 euro pp, was breads, juice and coffee, but of excellent quantity and top quality. The breakfast is ordered the night before, and can be brought to your room (no additional charge) or served in the small but attractive breakfast room in the basement.

There is a wide variation in room size apparently. We saw some very tiny doubles but our twin was of adequate size, and the twin beds were pushed together anyway so there would be no loss in the romance department.
TVs get English-speaking stations, rooms contain safes. Bathroom completely modern, with shower inside the tub, shower curtain, and built-in hairdryer.

The street is small and quiet, but 5-7 minute walk to the Odeon metro stop.
If a/c is not an issue, I will happily stay there again.

I have a long file on Paris including other hotel suggestions; if you'd like to see it and if your email can accept large attachments, email me at
[email protected]

SuzieC Mar 16th, 2005 09:37 AM

While you're planning, take a peek at reservethebest.com, you can highlight an arrond. and check out what restaurants are there. Many post a sample menu. I think its a fun read.

grandmere Mar 16th, 2005 10:45 AM

I'm another Allard fan; we ate there twice last March, and I'm planning on going again this May.
Jody, I asked the same question about the salad dressing, and someone here posted a recipe last year. I asked the waiter, and he said it contained egg, but I question if it contained the yolk b/c it was so white. And never heard of egg whites in a dressing. A mystery.

Aubergine,
I think the Hotel du Lys on the rue Serpente in the 6th (very near Allard, in fact) is a charming little hotel where you get good value for the money. It does not have an elevator, and one must walk up the ancient winding staircase. I think it's 115 euro for a double, with breakfast included. It is not luxurious, but I love the ambience. www.hoteldulys.com The building dates from the 17th century.

Lexma90 Mar 16th, 2005 11:03 AM

We have stayed at Hotel le Regent, in the 6th, 61, rue Dauphine, several times. The location is very convenient, the neighborhood interesting. The hotel is clean and nice, the bathrooms luxurious, and the staff is helpful. They have small double rooms for 140E, and large doubles for 200E. We've always chosen to spend our money on food rather than lodging, and stay in the small doubles. We've never eaten breakfast at the hotel, BTW, we just eat at one of the nearby cafes for half the price and much better people-watching.

aubergine Mar 16th, 2005 11:51 AM

Thank you all!!!

adlmllr Mar 17th, 2005 04:50 AM

We've stayed in several different hotels in Paris -- in the 1st/6th/7th and have found our favorite to be Hotel de Varenne (www.hoteldevarenne.com) in the 7th, very close to the Rodin Museum. It's charming, warm, friendly, well-appointed and you feel like you're actually living in Paris rather than being a tourist. They often have good promotion for 119€ or so per night, including a wonderful continental breakfast.

If you're set on staying in the 6th, I agree that rue Jacob and rue Bonaparte are both excellent locations and there are many hotels to choose from. Also, Hotel Verneuil is nearby and always gets good reviews. Have you checked www.france.com to search for hotels in your price range by location?

aubergine Mar 17th, 2005 06:03 AM

Any comments on Hotel d'Angleterre? Somewhat mixed reviews it seems. Anyone stayed as of late?

mamc Mar 17th, 2005 07:08 AM

We stayed a few years ago at the Hotel Saint Thomas d'Aquin (www.hotel-st-thomas-daquin.com)just north of Blvd. St. Germaine in the 7eme, a block from the 6eme. The hotel was charming, in a wonderful location and is, I think, in your price range.

JMK38 Mar 17th, 2005 01:20 PM

We were in Paris 2 weeks ago: like you, we prefer to spend our money on nice meals rather than a hotel room we spend little time in. We stayed at Hotel Verneuil (in the 7th on the edge of the 6th). We found it to be charming and it will be within your budget.
Allard is a restaurant we always go to and always enjoy - this time was not exception! Enjoy-

pabrams52 Mar 17th, 2005 10:17 PM

To: adlmllr,
Saw your suggestion about Hotel De Varenne. The website looks lovely and if reality is "as pictured" we may try them on our next visit. I'm going to check them out on our upcoming trip. THANKS!

Morganne Mar 18th, 2005 12:40 AM

You can have a very nice room in the Hotel de Suede Saint Germain, it is in the 7th but very very close to the 6th and from Saint Germain Area...This hotel is really lovely and charming....a typical French decoration....Yçou will feel the French atmosphere in this hotel. Staff is also nice.
You can see it on http://www.suede-saint-germain.com
Concerning food, I would advice you to go to Restaurant La Coupole, a wonderful decotation( very particular, must be seen...), it is a famous restaurant in Paris that is and was the meeeting point of all the Parisian artists....Prices are affordable for what is proposed...Don't miss it!
Enjoy Paris!