Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels - de Turenne or de France, 7th

Feb 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Hello. We have done some extensive searching of Paris hotels for a trip in April and have narrowed it down to two - Hotel de Turenne and Hotel de France, both in the 7th. They seem to be pretty similar in terms of price, quality, ammenities, location, etc., so we're trying to figure out which one to choose. I've seen direct comparisons of the two on this site back in 2002, but nothing more recent. Can anyone comment on the recent state of the two and which you would recommend? It will be me, my wife, and 4 year-old daughter getting a triple room. Thanks.
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Paulg, if you go to Lyb's post titled "Comments on hotel choices in Paris, Caen, Brussels, Bruges, & Amsterdam", you will find a review I posted describing my positive experience with the Hotel de France Invalides.

It's perhaps a bit of a walk to the nearest Metro (Ecole Militaire) for a four year old. Don't know if the de Turenne is closer to the Metro. Maybe a bus would take you closer to the de France. But then, your daughter may enjoy the walk. Visitors to Paris generally end up walking a lot.

Suggestions, St Cirq?

Feb 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I stay at the Hotel de France a lot - last time was last October. It was renovated two years ago, and is in great shape. It's not deluxe by any means, but it's clean and comfortable (best mattresses I've slept on in France), the staff are friendly and helpful, and the neighborhood is great.
I've peeked in the lobby of the Hotel Turenne and it looked comparable.
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM

We stayed in the Turenne in 2001 - some of the websites say the rooms have been renovated, but the photo of the one we stayed in (red/flowered spread) doesn't look renovated. By now, they would be in need of updating if they haven't done so. You could ask them. We're used to the noise of Paris and had a corner room overlooking ave de Tourville. With the windows closed, it was fairly muted (traffic). We missed not having a minibar but I can't say anything negative about our stay, or the hotel or the staff. It is a budget hotel, don't expect perfection. The breakfast was a good continental, and we enjoyed eating at Brasserie Ecole Militaire (service can be sketchy - I think they have a lot of regulars).
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:51 PM

You can try reading reviews on www.paris.org/Hotels
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:06 AM

I stayed at the Hotel de France last May and enjoyed it. My friend got injured so she stayed in the room for a few days. The staff was great checking up on my friend so I could still go out and enjoy Paris. Also there are several metro's within a few blocks of the hotel. The restaurant Pascal's was very good and moderately priced.
Feb 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to everyone for their responses. Overall the two still look very comparable, but I ended up booking the de France just now based on the overwhelming positive feedback for the de France vs. only a few negatives for the de Turenne. I have a feeling that we would be pleased with either one. The de Turenne seems to be just a bit better situated relative to the metros, but no so much that it will matter, I think ... my daughter has a good bit of energy.

But here's a related question. Is an umbrella stroller something that we could even use in most places in Paris? We know there will be a lot of walking, and for the times that we want to keep going but my daughter can not, we'd like to have that option. Specifically, would the roads, buses, trains, sidewalks, sites, etc. accomodate a small stroller? Thanks again

Feb 28th, 2005, 08:17 PM

paulg, here is some discussion on strollers:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34545976
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut, that was a great thread ... answered all of my questions!