Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotels, Cayre,Ferrandi or St. Gregiore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-cayre-ferrandi-or-st-gregiore-34391/)

Hoebie Nov 11th, 1998 08:10 AM

Paris hotels, Cayre,Ferrandi or St. Gregiore?

We are a family of 6 traveling to Paris in 2 weeks. The listed hotels all have availability for 2 triples. Which one is best?

jeanne Nov 11th, 1998 02:19 PM

I haven't stayed at any of these but they are all in nice areas-7th & 6th. The St. Gregoire is likely to be on the quiest street since the Cayre and Ferrandi are on busier streets-but that doesn't always translate to quieter rooms... <BR> <BR>The Cayre is closer to the action and closer to the metro if that matters-and on a line that takes you more easily to the right bank without switching. So you might consider that. From the guide books, they look about comparable.

jparis Nov 11th, 1998 05:44 PM

I have stayed in the St. Gregoire and it is very nice. Remember, triples are very difficult to find. I think I stayed in a room that could be called a "triple"..it was on the first floor, in the back, had two single beds and a "day bed" (i.e. small single bed). Two people stayed in the room (with one bathroom) and we were fine. 3 might be tight, but that would be true of any room you find in Paris. Management was helpful if aloof.

Donna Nov 11th, 1998 09:24 PM

I would not obsess over this. Pick the one with the best ammenities and closest to a Metro stop. Believe me, in Paris, you will do more walking than you can possibly imagine, so the closer your hotel is to a metro stop (and a taxi stand), the better.

Yvonne Nov 13th, 1998 09:51 AM

Stayed in the Ferrandi last December. I was never disturbed by street noises from the Rue Cherche Midi (what a lovely name). It is about two to three blocks from the nearest metro stations and the Bon Marche. I liked the hotel. Our room was a basic double - two twin beds, huge armoire, cute writing desk. Bathroom with towel warmer, tub shower - very clean and pretty. I like the location, but it is almost in the 14th, so it's not right in the middle of the touristic hot spots.

Dee Nov 16th, 1998 04:55 PM

Hoebie, <BR> From the description of the Ferrandi above, I wish we had booked there. It looked very pretty on the internet site but we settled on a less expensive hotel in the 6th because we thought the area would be nicer and more convenient. The area was nice with lots of shops and restaurants but the metro is so easy to use that you can stay anywhere without inconvience. Most of the sightseeing stops are close together so when you get off the metro you usually walk to another close museum or site you want to see and then walk to the next one. Lots of walking because there is so much to see that is close by. We were not happy with our accommodations-very small, not well maintained--bath so small you had to walk through it sideways and we had our room changed after the first night because it was too noisey to sleep. Also, the large buildings around our metro stops made it confusing to find our hotel. Several times we got off at a different place and lost at least half an hour walking in circles to find our hotel and after a day of walking, you don't want to do that. So, my point is to find a hotel you think will be pleasant to stay in, especially with three people, you want something large enough. Even though we spent little time in the room, we hated it and it is nice to come back to a place you can get dressed without bumping into something. More of a priority than which part of town you stay.

Myriam Nov 17th, 1998 10:17 AM

We have stayed at the Cayré (Golden Tulip) in August last. The location was very good in a safe and calm area and 2 steps away from a metro station. Our room was situated at the back, so we did not hear any noise from the street but we could hear word for word what was said in the neighbouring rooms ! Our earplugs did what they had to do and we definitely would go back there. <BR>