Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels: (6th) Delavigne, Sainte Beuve, (5th) Henry Rive Gauche, (7th) Verenne

Paris hotels: (6th) Delavigne, Sainte Beuve, (5th) Henry Rive Gauche, (7th) Verenne

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have narrowed hotel search to these 4 Paris hotels for final 3 nights in France. This is my third trip to Paris and husband's first visit, trying to stay in the $200/nt. range. Any personal experience with these hotels?

Much thanks,
Cindy
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:35 AM
hdm

Not yet, but we'll be staying in the Henri IV Rive Gauche in May. You don't say when you're going but it might be over your budgeted amount, depending on the season. It's by far more than we wanted to spend but we justified it by spending less elsewhere and being lucky enough to stay with a friend in Nice. The other hotel on our shortlist was the Beaumarchais.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you "hdm". We will be in Paris in mid September after 5 days in Provence. How wonderful to have a friend in Nice!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
hdm

We are lucky, I know. I'll probably get around to writing a trip report when we get back in June but that might be too late for you to book your Paris hotel. There are tons of good recommendations in this forum, though, if you just search 'hotels in Paris'.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM

If you spell Henri correctly (not Henry) and type it in the search box above you will get many replies on this name: Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche.

I stayed there in Dec. of 2004. There are also a lot of reviews about it on www.tripadvisor.com
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Reviews ar always interesting but these hotels are almost so highly rated that the reviews don't actually help.

Personally, I'm a 6th-near-the-Seine bigot.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

Pjk

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Hotel de Varenne and enjoyed it. Smallish rooms, clean, nice bathroom. If a shower curtain is important to you, I believe you need to request it.

I would not spend the money for their breakfast. There are places nearby for coffee, croissants or pastries. The metro is about a five minute walk from the hotel. Not a direct line, but will get you to one quickly.

Hotel is about 1/2 block from Rodin Museum, 10 - 15 minute walk to Napoleon's tomb, rue Cler or Eiffel Tower, 10-15 minutes to Place de Concord.

Some people have complained that the front desk people are not friendly or, in some cases, helpful. That was not the case for us. They made a few restaurant reservations for us and were helpful in providing us information about places if we asked.

If you want to be in the heart of the action, you might want to try somewhere else. However, if you want to hop on the metro to be close to the action within minutes, and like it very quiet when you want to sleep, then this is a good choice.

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34867409
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM

We have stayed at both the Delavigne and the Varenne. We booked the triple at the Delavigne to get more room and it was worth it. I loved that location..about two minutes to the Luxembourg Gardens.

The Varenne is pleasant, with a very good Vietnamese restaurant across the street and a three-star restaurant on the corner. It's a bit more money and the location is a little less convenient. We ended up taking the metro a lot more than when we were at the Delavigne. We found the people at both hotels to be quite pleasant and helpful, but I personally preferred the Delavigne.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, especially for personal insight.