Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

paris hotels 6th arr: d'aubusson, hotel madison, le regent

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting paris for the first time this april. Have finally decided to stay in the 6th arr- st germaine area but need to book a hotel asap.
I am looking at the following:

D'aubusson- $336 standard room

Hotel Madison- $282 dbl, $294 twin (what is the difference- bed size?)

Le Regent- $252 deluxe room (same as dbl?)

I am leaning towards the D'aubusson(realize price is higher as it is a 4 star & the others are 3 star), but would consider the other 2 or maybe another hotel in the area. Would like to be in the low $300 range and under.

Any insight/ opinions would be appreciated!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:16 AM

My first question would be whether you're travelling alone. If so, I wouldn't worry too much about room size. Most of the rooms at these hotels be sufficient for one.

The D'Aubusson is lovely, on a quiet part of rue Dauphine, but still close to everything. It has a small, upscale bar attached to the hotel where they have live jazz bands. I was there, but did not stay at the hotel.

The Madison also looks lovely and I love the central location. I understand the rooms with the views on to the eglise St. Germain are really something.

I have stayed at Le Regent in a deluxe room. I really liked the hotel and the staff. The room was nicely decorated, well appointed and plenty big enough for me (I was alone.) It is on a very busy, touristy part of rue Dauphine (where it crosses rue Mazarine and rue St. Andres des Arts. I enjoyed people watching from my window, but was able to shut out all the street noise by closing the window. It is also pretty close to public transportation (St. Michel, Odeon)

All 3 are great hotels. Any specific questions?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Pausanias

We stayed at the Madison this past December and were very pleased with it. The Twin rooms (one of which we had) are supposed to be larger. Ours was a nice size for a city room, on the third floor overlooking the Blvd. & church. Double-glazed windows so not much street noise. The staff was pleasant and helpful, made reservations for dinner, etc.

We found the location very convenient -- metro across the street, major museums nearby -- and would highly recommend it.

If you click on my name and scroll down 30 posts or so, you can read the original trip report.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick responses. They are very helpful.

I will be traveling with my husband, forgot to mention that!
Will all rooms be large enough for two?

All the hotels sound nice, hard to decide!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Our preferred hotel in Paris is the Esprit St. Germain in the 6th (http://www.espritsaintgermain.com/flash/index.html) for several reasons, service and quality being only two. A Classic is 310 euros/night, while the Superior is 350 euros/night, including tax.

The Madison is a nice hotel, and yes the Deluxe Rooms facing the Blvd. St. Germain are nice, and large, but a bit more expensive than the price you listed. We stopped staying here when they raised the price of the Deluxe Rooms.

For a budget of $300 (250 euros) or under, including tax, you will have to stick with a 3-star hotel, of which there are a lot of good choices in the 6th, including Hotel Sèvres Saint Germain, Prince de Condé, Relias Saint-Suplice and Aramis Saint-Germain.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

to update- I checked availibility at all hotels and saw D'aubusson only has 2 standard rooms left for my time period. I got nervous about running out of time and booked.

I thought for a 4 star it was a good value (price included tax) compared to the other 3 star hotels I was looking at. Hope I made a good choice and I thank all for their advice.

Robert- I did look at Esprit St. Germaine, it looks very nice, but I just returned from vacation and talked my husband into going away again to Paris so I am trying to keep the price reasonable for just a few days break.
Maybe next trip....

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The Madison is our favorite. The twin rooms facing the Blvd. St-Germain are quite spacious, with large bathrooms; some have a daybed in addition to the other beds, very useful for spreading things out to pack or organizing shopping. The location is great.