Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotels - 3 Choices, need input! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotels-3-choices-need-input-512423/)

Lothlorien Mar 14th, 2005 01:58 PM

Paris Hotels - 3 Choices, need input!

Thanks to advice from this forum, I came up with 5 Left Bank hotels I was interested in, emailed them and 3 have availability, so I'm looking for some input to help me decide which one to book. I'm going solo, arriving 4/1 for 5 nights; things I'm looking for in a hotel: clean, decent-sized room; located off a main road (don't want four lanes of traffic outside my window); should be within walking distance of restaurants, supermarche but not looking for night-life.

The three options are: Hotel D'Angleterre (standard room @ 135 euros w/breakfast included); Hotel Saint Germain (superior double @ 150 euros); Hotel Saint Paul (petit single w/shower @ 116 euros or superior double @ 180 euros - buffet breakfast complimentary). I haven't heard back from the Hotel Louis II yet. I've checked tripadvisor for all, but would appreciate some input from you folks. THanks!

yk Mar 14th, 2005 05:52 PM

There are several hotels named Hotel Saint Germain. Do you have the address? I recently stayed at Hotel de Saint Germain on rue du Four, but I'm not sure if that's the one you're asking about.

Morganne Mar 15th, 2005 01:08 AM

Hote Saint Paul would be my choice...It is a lovely and charming hotel located near metro stop Odeon. It is a very liveful area and there is also a lot of shops and bars, bakeries and so on...There is also a wonderful and cute patio...The hotel is located in a very little street so it is very calm...don't worry about that!
You can see pictures and more details of the hotel on http://www.h-saintpaul.com
Have a good trip!

jody Mar 15th, 2005 01:25 AM

If the D'Angleterre is the one on Rue Jacob..there is another with a similar name..it is a lovely historic building. It has been recently renovated and redecorated. There was still some scaffolding along the front a month or so ago but the interior is finished and so may the outside by now. We've stayed in their standard doubles and they are a very good size.

Rue Jacob is a one way street and is quiet at night. There are numerous cafes and bistros nearby and a good bakery right next door, with a Laudree at the next corner.

Lothlorien Mar 15th, 2005 07:44 AM

The Hotel Saint Germain I referred to is the hotel on Rue de Bac - anyone seen it/stayed there? I'm glad to hear the standard room at the d'Angleterre is decent sized. Still looking for any input, before I make up my mind... THanks.

mst2000 Mar 15th, 2005 08:05 AM

One hotel on the Left Bank that I think is really eclectic and wonderful is Hotel Artus, which is on the edge of the Latin Quarter (Rue de Buci) near the Boulevard St. Germain de Pres. Well located, on the nicer edge of a very lively neighborhood, 1 block from a metro stop, and walking distance to almost everywhere. We stayed in the top floor junior suite (which is the nicest room in the hotel, with a large jacuzzi tub, a small bedroom with a very nice terrace overlooking the street, and all in all very clean and modern, with arty touches). The concierge, Sanjay (as well as the rest of the concierge staff) is literally the essence of what you want in a hotel concierge. Knowledgeable, helpful, very nice and not at all resistant to helping with anything. The breakfast was pastries, fresh juice, coffees, etc., and could be ordered in the room (and eaten on the terrace or in bed . . c'est magnifique). We asked to see other rooms the day before we left, in case the suite was unavailable if we returned. The other rooms we looked at were definitely smaller (some were two level), without jacuzzi, but all were nice and different in some eclectic sort of way. They have a website -- my recollection is that to reserve a room, you have to go through the website -- and while it is not cheap (for a left bank hotel), it was not overly expensive and I would enthusiastically go there again.