Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel with elevator and very near busstop under 100 euros?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has not been easy staying under this amount and also knowing at same time exactly how far busstop is. ( limited mobility issue for metros)

Any ideas of how to know in advance about busstop distance without writing to each hotel.? most do not state on website.

the 2* lyon mulhouse is not looking bad, but if there is anything "closer" to the river i wouldnīt mind.

thanks in advance. i have another day or so to cancel a backup near louvre that now i have found out is 500 m from bus, and looks like it will be raining in paris from the 17th til 20th jan. while we are there.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM

This is what I do. I take the hotel location, and the locations of a few disparate tourist sites, and go to www.ratp.fr . You can select to search only for buses. Then you get the routes, and it will tell you that the bus stop is 3 minutes away, 5 minutes away, whatever. After you search a few sites, you will have a very good idea where the nearest few bus stops are. (In my case, I'm not concerned about mobility issues per se - just how easy it is to get places.)

However, I can tell you that near Gare Montparnasse in the 14th - probably about a block away - is a bus loop with numerous bus routes. Undoubtedly there are more such spots in Paris, but if you want to be close to many buses, that's a good spot.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:22 AM

http://www.saintongemarais.com/

I don't know if you're alone but I believe a single here is 95 E.

I don't know how close you want to be to the bus stop -- it took me maybe 3 minutes to walk to the 96 bus stop and I was in an apt 2-3 buildings down from this hotel. The hotel states it's near the 29 and 61 lines so maybe those are even closer than the 96.

(I think it was the 96 -- anyway, it was a good bus line that went through the Marais to Rue Rivoli, Chatlet, Notre Dame, Saint Germain/Saint Michel.)

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Also -- I was there for 6 days last month and the weather forecast said rain every single day. I ended up only needing an umbrella once for a 3 hour period. Other days were just gray, then it would clear up and I even saw blue skies. I was pretty stressed before I left, expecting rain and downpours everyday but it was nothing like that. It lightly rained for 3 hours, once.

I found weather.com to be totally inaccurate -- even their 24 hour forecast for rain the next day was off. So hopefully, you won't have to deal with as bad of weather as forecasted. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

thank you. hopefully will get something figured out. the hotel we wanted has no availibilty, but also was down a hill 2 blocks to bus stop. so wouldnīt have really been a good choice for this trip.

these little things suddenly become issues when you are travelling with someone somewhat limited. so.. i have a place near the louvre, which i knew there are bustops there, but seems it is not NEAR the busstops.
so... on going search.

i hope to be able to decipher the locations and true distances with your advice.

thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:51 AM

hi lin --

How close do you need to get to a bus stop -- 2-3 blocks or more like across the street from the hotel? How limited is your travel partner in terms of mobility -- do they have trouble with stairs and hills or is it that they also just can't walk very far? (500 meters -- that's like 1/4 miles or approx 5 blocks, so you're trying to get closer than that, right?)

I traveled last summer with someone who had severe knee problems, so I really sympathize with your situation.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:20 AM

I've noticed that a lot of the busses we take do not return you to the stop where you got on , on the return trip. IE We catch the 95 bus at rue jacob and rue de St Peres, right across from our hotel, but returnung on that bus the closest stop is at Blvd st Germain and rue Bonaparte, a 3 block walk back to our hotel. I've noticed also the busses we get on Blvd st germain going to the Marais, on return stop along the Quais.

You could feasibly ride the bus all the way to there final stop, then wait until they start their route again but that would REALLY waste a lot of time.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM

That's not necessary. You can usually get on the bus going in "your" direction by riding a few stops in the opposite direction and crossing the street.

I agree it's a little tricky, but riding to the end of the line is not an optimal strategy.

Here is the master bus map of all Paris (available on paper free at Métro stations): http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...eur&fm=pdf
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Lin, in the www.ratp.fr site, if you use the Plan de Quartier feature you can write the adress of the hotel you are interested in and it shows a little plan of the surroundings with all the bus stops marked and the number of the buses, so you can see if they stop on the same street in both directions or where they stop.
You know, I'll have to do that work soon, I hope !!
The worst thing is that it looks there is no way to know if the streets are hilly !!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I've noticed on Trip Advisor some review are like this: the bus stop was around the corner. Or: the bus stop was a block away, but you had to take the stairs down to it.

Try Trip Advisor's review section, maybe you'll find something useful there.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I always read trip advisor reviews searching for that kind of info, Fayna, but I've learned the hard way to take it with a pinch of salt...
I mean, most people recalls that things from memory and if they go wrong and what they say around the corner is in fact two blocks round the corner..can change things a whole lot for me (for example, two hilly blocks) It's ok to read it..but I always try to confirm what they say by other means..
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:03 AM
MaureenB

We have stayed at the Hotel la Bourdonnais, in the 7th, which has some rooms with balcony views of the Eiffel Tower. http://www.hotellabourdonnais.com

It also has a lift, and a market next door, and is a short walk to another fresh fruit market and Rue Cler. I checked the dates 1/17- 1/20, and they start at 135 EUR, though, so that may be too high. Maybe they'll offer a discount for last minute reservations.

The hotel's website says "Bus (ligne 80-28-92-87-82) at 50 meters fron the hotel."

Good luck. >-

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice. loved the hotel rec but way over our budget.

i think i am going to stop worrying about it and just realize that taxis will be the best bet if mom canīt walk the distance. maybe she will be better than i think! we will just probably stop more than usual.

thanks again.

in answer to a question: a bus within a block would be great.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM

We just stayed at the Best Western Au Trocadero over Thanksgiving and LOVED it for 83 E a night and had two windows with a view of the Eiffel Tower. It is literally across the street from a metro stop.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I stayed at Hotel Monge and recall walking past a bus stop every day, it was about a block I think and relatively flat. The price is probably close to your budget.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM

I would find the hotel you want first, and then check RATP for the bus lines to figure out how close it is. Finding one directly in front of a bus stop or within a block isn't hard if you are on any major street at all (H Monge is on one route that goes right up rue Monge, there is a major line running along bd Montparnasse, bd Raspail, rue de Rennes, etc. -- many of them. However, that isn't foolproof anyway as that particular line may not go where you want to go.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM

oh, the Lyon Mulhouse isn't really very far from the river at all, and it's a good location because place de la Bastille is a major bus stop point. Luxembourg Gardens is another such major bus point (the area right in front of where rue Soufflot goes to the Pantheon), and there are buses that run up and down bd St Michel, also.

Here is one hotel within a block of that point and under 100 euro with a lift:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005cujas.htm

Here is another that is very near bus lines running along rue des Ecoles or bd St Germain that is in that price range (and very near the Seine):
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005college.htm

The elevator should not be a problem, as 2* hotels are required to have one by French standards if they have five levels (four floors above ground). Just be sure that if the elevator doesn't go to the top floor, as can happen, that you don't get a room up there. I think that is the case for College de France.

Hotel de la Sorbonne is another that is very near that Luxembourg garden point and around your price, probably under 100 in January.

http://www.hotelsorbonne.com/

I'm pretty sure it had a lift, although very tiny, as I stayed there and liked it---but it's been over ten years, so doublecheck on that if you want. I remember using the stairs, but I often do that rather than the lift if I'm only up a few floors. It would be quieter than some of those right on a main boulevard, as it's on a small street behind Sorbonne square.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:23 AM

The Hôtel de France on the oulevard de la Tour Maubourg in the 7th, where I often stay, is close to several busstops (ranging from a block to 3 blocks' distance). It has an elevator and rooms are about 75 euro.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM

The OP wants to be within 1 block of a bus stop, if possible.

(She already has a hotel that's 3 blocks away)
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Once finding a hotel that meets your other criteria, you can tell how hilly the streets are at http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr by turning the default view to "down the street" and looking at horizontal lines on the surrounding buildings. If they're not parallel to the sidewalk (pavement), then the street is on a hil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -