Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotel with clean floors? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-with-clean-floors-773663/)

audreyleigh99 Mar 17th, 2009 06:11 PM

Paris hotel with clean floors?

Alright, so this is a rather odd request - but can anyone recommend a very clean, reasonably priced (under 175 euros/night) hotel in Paris? DH and I will be there for a few days in May with our toddler and, as she spends a lot of time playing on the floor, this is a big concern. We would prefer something in a central arrondissment and are considering staying at Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marias (I've stayed there before and it was fine but there are some recent reviews about issues with cleanliness).

Sally30 Mar 18th, 2009 05:44 PM

I responded to your other post about reserving a triple and suggested an apartment. When I noticed this post afterwards and saw your price range, I just wanted to mention that we stayed in a very clean, big (1000sf), two bedroom apartment on Blvd San Michel directly across from the Luxembourg Garden which is great for a toddler - for the same price.

audreyleigh99 Mar 18th, 2009 05:46 PM

Thanks for the response, Sally. We are staying in an apartment (townhouse actually) in St. Remy but I didn't think this would be an option for Paris as we are just staying there two nights when we get in and then one night on our way back to the U.S. Have you done one or two night apartment rentals? I'm open to it if people will rent like this . . .

Sally30 Mar 18th, 2009 06:01 PM

I haven't done a short term stay but May is coming up and the economy stinks so if any agency has an apartment open, maybe they'd rather rent it then leave it open. We have rented from Vacation in Paris. There are tons of messages on here with different apartment rental agencies. VIP is easy though - they are in NJ and don't ask for a nominal security deposit only. The place we rented was #148.

if that doesn't work, I wouldn't sweat the floor being clean. I'm sure your daughter will be outside picking up dirt and cigarette butts like all the other kids! Good for the immune system.

audreyleigh99 Mar 18th, 2009 06:42 PM

Wow, just checked out VIPs site and really like several of the apartments. I think I'll email with my dates and see if they can do anything, it would be sooo much better than staying in a hotel. Also a lot of the floors are hardwoods, which are perfect :) I know my daughter will pick up things, put everything in her mouth, etc. but I have stayed in some Paris hotels where I walked around with my socks on and they turned black . . . trying to avoid that!

nytraveler Mar 18th, 2009 06:46 PM

If all you can get is a hotel room I would "tip" the maid to bring you a couple of extra sheets and then cover a large area (as large as you're likely to get in a Paris hotel room) with them - rather than trust to any rug or carpet.

audreyleigh99 Mar 20th, 2009 05:28 PM

Well I checked with VIP and one other apartment rental agency and both told me 3 nights was the absolute minimum (plus there is a cleaning surcharge added for a short stay). Now that I've fallen in love with several apartments I wish we were staying longer so we could do that . . . oh well. Good tip on the sheets, nytraveler, we may have to resort to that. If anyone else has suggestions for a clean hotel that meets our requirements I'd really appreciate hearing them!

elaine Mar 20th, 2009 05:47 PM

I honestly don't think that you're going to have assurances about clean carpets. Just because there isn't obvious dirt or stains doesn't mean they don't abound with embedded dust, dust mites, and all the other dirt that is in the world. People walk in wearing the same shoes that they wore on the streets and sidewalks, and Paris is famous for dog droppings.Even bare floors often get mopped using grey water that has been used to mop 5 other floors.
I'd count on spreading the extra sheets. :-)