Paris Hotel with Balcony or Terrace

Jan 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Paris Hotel with Balcony or Terrace

Hi! We are hoping to go to Paris for a week or so in September. We would really like a room with a balcony or terrace (that we can both sit on) in a very central location. From my research, it sounds like the 5th, 6th or 7th is ideal for us. We really enjoy coming back to the hotel before dinner and then again after a night out to relax. We are willing to spend $300 a night (maybe a little more for the right hotel but less would be great too!) I haven't found too much in my searches on this site for this feature, although I know it isn't common in Paris. Thanks!
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Parc St Severin has a couple rooms with balconies: http://www.esprit-de-france.com/
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:08 PM

The top floor of the Parc St. Severin is one room with a huge terrace that wraps around three sides. Amazing. Table and chairs, and chaises there too.
We did it for a week a couple years ago, but it may be more than $300 now. It wasn't then. Room 70. You'd have to book now and hope they can guarantee it.
Yes there are some terraces on a couple of the other rooms as well.

If you're spending a week, are you also looking at apartments? Might make more sense, and $2100 for a week is a generous allowance for a nice one.
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM

yes, tweeter, check out parisperfect.com

They have some beautiful apts with balconies, some in the lower range.
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick and Tully,

Thanks for your quick replies. I have considered an apartment, but maybe a hotel would be better for our first trip to Paris (2nd to Europe)? I have looked at Parisperfect.com for balcony apartments and they look so nice, but I somehow feel that for an apartment, I would want to spend less. Plus, we are still considering 5 days in Paris and maybe 2-3 days someplace else (another subject I am researching.) I will look into your suggestions! Thanks!
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LVSue, I did find that site and I am considering...but I am not sure we want to commit to a week yet, so I am wondering if the perfect hotel is out there!
Jan 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM

The difficulty is that Parisian hoteliers usually do not promise specific rooms, and most buildings do not have rooms where every one has a terrace; most buildings will have terrace rooms only on one or two floors.
Usually the best you can do is reserve 'street side' or 'courtyard', and hope for the best.
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions out there?

Patrick/Tully - The hotel you recommended does look nice. It looks like they have 3 rooms with a terrace. Any specific room you would recommend with the best view? Some of the comments on trip advisor said the area is "tacky" and too touristy. Will we be able to find restaurants/cafes nearby that aren't tourist traps? How many blocks to St. Germain? (It looks close on the map.) Any other input would be appreciated!
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:33 AM

One hotel you might check out is the Pantheon (www.hoteldupantheon.com). The description says that in the deluxe rooms you can eat breakfast on the balcony (indicating that it is a real balcony and not just one of those fancy wrought-iron window attachments). The prices seem to be top of your range, and you can check for availability for your dates on-line.

I found a few comments in my search here (hotel+pantheon).
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM

The following is "book learning" from the Rivage "Hotels de Charme a Paris." This is an older edition, 2002, so the prices will be higher. Figure, maybe 20 percent. In my experience, most Paris hotel choices involve tradeoffs of some sort -- for example, room size for location or charm -- and no doubt your search for a terrace will, too. As an example, the listing for the Hotel Parc St. Severin, which a couple of folks mentioned, suggests that the view from the terrace is quite a bit prettier than the decor. (Are they right, Fodorites?) Also, keep in mind that a "terrace" may be on the ground floor. So if you have a high-up view in mind, be sure to inquire. Finally, we hold the Rivage series of guides in fairly high esteem, having used them often.

Regent's Hotel, 44 rue Madame, in the 6th. Rooms 51, 52 and 57 have a "furnished" terrace (common terrace? It's not clear). 2002 price: 100 euros. Rviages likes the decor. However says that in "certain" rooms (unspecified) there is within the hotel noise.

Hotel duc St. Simone, 14 rue St. Simon, in the 7th. "one of the most charming hotels in Paris." Four rooms with a lovely terrace (Common? Doesn't say.) Rooms are small, but superbly decorate and comfortable. 2002 price: 310 to 320 euros.

Hotel Dorsay, 93 rue de Lille in the 7th. An "immense suite" under the eaves, with two little terraces overlooking rooftops, 2002 price: 250 euros.

Hotel de Tourville, 16 avenue Touville, in the 7th. Four rooms with planted terraces. 2002 price: 220 euros.

Hotel de la Universite, 22 rue de l'Universite, in the 7th. 2 suites under the eaves with prvate terraces. No price specified but the highest price listed, for a triple, was 240 euros in 2002.

Dave

Jan 27th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I think you should be able to find what you want in that price range. In September, it may not be exactly crucial to have a balcony you can sit on -- I mean if it has French doors which are open and an open area to the window, it may still be enjoyable and you can sit in front of it or enjoy the view.

I think balconies are not so predictable, but I think many hotels will guarantee you a certain room if you book it because they are priced higher and are special -- these are ones that are advertised as with terrace. They have always cost more in the hotels I've seen that mentioned specifically, and it is a specific style of room you are paying for. They aren't that common. I have seen the Tourville mentioned with them, as noted above. A terrace can be ground floor of course, I think it often is (and that's really what the term means to me, except for penthouse terraces).

The 3* Hotel Royal Saint Germain on rue de Rennes has a room with a terrace according to a web site I saw, but I don't know what that terrace looks out on or the floor. It may not be so great. Some hotels with rooms on the ground floor with an interior "terrace" are actually inferior rooms IMO, I'd be careful with that. They can be noisy.

The Hotel de l'Universite in St Germain does mention it (both a double and triple with terrace) with special pricing, so that's an idea you can look into

http://www.parishotels.com/Hotel_de_...n_star_en.html

There have been posts of people wanting balcony rooms in Paris, there have been several threads on that which should be findable (try putting paris and balcony in the search box).
Jan 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM

The top floor (room 70) at Parc St. Severin is the one with the immense wrap around terrace, I'm roughly guessing something like 600 square feet of terrace all together. The other two they have (I think on the floor below) have much smaller terraces, but still big enough to sit on.

The busy restaurant area near there is indeed pretty tacky -- but I alsolutely loved sometimes walking through it (sort of like walking along the midway at a carnival or circus). But I wouldn't let that stop you. It is about half a block out to St. Germain, a world away from the places the other direction. And the big terrace mainly overlooks the St. Severin church, hardly a tacky view! You can also see Montmarte and the Eiffel Tower from there.
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM

We stayed at the Parc St. Severin for 7 nights in 2002. They have three rooms on the 6th floor (deluxe rooms, not penthouse) that have terraces, #61 (where we stayed) had the largest of the three. All three are big enough to sit out on but #61 is by far the nicest. We had a view of Notre Dame on one side and the tip of the Eiffel Tower on the other, rooftops of Paris in the middle.

The room itself was a nice size (for Paris). It is a 3* hotel so it is not super deluxe but room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was modern with all amenities. We loved it, and the staff was excellent.

We had breakfast delivered each morning and enjoyed coffee and croissants on our terrace.

We have booked #70 for our return trip next Spring.

The area is somewhat touristy but the hotel is on a quiet pedestrian street and very convenient for walking as well as metro access.

When we were there last, the rooms on the sixth floor were about $100 less/night than the penthouse.
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys! The Parc St. Severin sounds great. I was checking out pricing on Parisby.com and there is Double Room Standard and a Suite Standard. Which rooms have the terraces? KCsqueeze - You referred to the Penthouse, so I am not sure...is that room #70?

We were also looking at the Parisperfect.com apartments (assuming we did stay 7 nights) for $339 per night. If you had the choice between the apartment and the Parc St. Severin w/ Terrace (assuming pricing is relatively comparable), which would you pick (also assuming first time to Paris)?

We haven't booked our trip yet, so I am just weighing our options at this point. Thanks!
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Bonsoir Tweeter,
Don't assume that you MUST commit to a week at an apartment. You never know--there might be gaps of a few days between reservations For example, i just booked with ParisPerfect, and there will be several days between when we leave, and when the next folks arrive. You could write and ask if there is availability for less than a week. Madelyn has been an absolute delight! And, she answers questions promptly--unlike some of the other apartment owners or agents from whom I'd tried to get information.
Good luck!
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:30 PM

What about Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th? See Tripadvisor.con for reviews, mostly quite positive.
Balcons = balconies, and one of the reviews refers to their "cute little balcony."
If you don't mind staying near Montmartre, check out this one bedroom WITH balcony:
http://www.parisvacationapartments.com/prop.pl?4
The weekly price is very low, though can't tell how recently site was updated.
Happy researching!
Jan 28th, 2005, 01:39 AM

I have just booked a studio apartment (for 3)with a balcony in the 5th for 145 euro a night for 5 nights in August.
Studio apartments 8 rue de la Harpe.
Situated on the 6th floor with elevator, kitchen, washing machine.
I know your looking for a hotel but this might suit you if all else fails.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:54 AM

I have been in one of the terraced rooms at the Duc St. Simon in the 7th, it is quite beautiful and large (the terrace is large, room small and lovely), but on a low floor. The view is of the neighboring buildings, which are lovely and the terrace is filled with flowers.
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:42 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Moliere. It is on rue Moliere on the Right Bank, convenient to the metro and to the Louvre. We had 2 different rooms, both large and decorated in a riot of red and yellow toile (very cosy), including fabric on the walls.

Anyway, our first room was on the top floor, but the next night we were moved to a lower floor to a room with a terrace. The view was of rue Moliere and the adorable gift/kitchen shop across the street, et al, but it was a terrace and we spent a good amount of time outside soaking up the atmosphere. I loved the fact that we had to step up and out through the window.

Anyway, the hotel was nice, and centrally located, but we weren't overly impressed with the desk staff. She was not terribly helpful -- would not recommend a good restaurant in S. Germaine because they are all good -- but we tried not to let her dampen the mood.

It may be worth a look. It is a 3 star hotel and not overly pricey for Paris (or so it seems) and the rooms were very spacious. TripAdvisor has some good reviews for the hotel too.
Jan 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Parc Saint Severin has its own web site, at least as part of the Esprit de France hotel group (this is a very small group of a few nice hotels). That URL is:

http://www.esprit-de-france.com/pres...p?lang=FR&id=8

They don't seem to explain the rooms with terrace on there, either, but at least it's hotel-specific and gives you an email address if you want to ask. It may be the email address for Esprit de France, but at least it's not a general booking site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO