For Ira and all Amalfi coast experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning (rather at the last moment) a stay on the Amalfi coast. We will arrive at Civitavecchia on the 23 May and want to go right to the coast. We will probably fly back on dates ranging from the 30th to the 3rd of June but are flexible - depending on prices/airlines deals etc.

Ira, I wrote the hotel in Praiano a month ago (I guess this has been working in my mind a long time) but got the email back that they are closed and will respond in January. But then I have read that they are already fully booked for this sumer. So I'm getting antsy and wondering where to look next. We are thinking that Praiano will be the best place for us to base.
On our to-do list are: Capri, Ravello, Amalfi and some time in Naples to see the things that were closed the Tuesday we were there last time! (Esp the Veiled Christos) Any other suggestions??
We are normally budget travelers but may have to stretch the budget on the coast! we have to have a view and good food and wine - the rest is secondary.
Looking forward to some direction and comments from all of you.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
ira

Hi mama,

Did you write, Fax or email?

I think that the small European hoteliers respond better to Fax's.

Other suggestions are
http://www.continental-positano.it/w.../welcomeuk.htm

http://www.hotelparsifal.com/eng/
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
I sent an email. I will go to the website and check it for a fax number. Great idea, thanks.

And thanks for the other leads too.

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I would also recommend Albergo California in Positano. It's realitively inexpensive and we had a HUGE room and bathroom.
http://www.travelintelligence.com/ws...st_review.html
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, swalter, for the lead.
Actually I have already emailed them for a quote but I haven't heard from them. Or anyone! I guess everyone is in the midst of holiday cooking. Ah, to be in Italy over the holidays!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Brahmama, I have found that Italians do not rush (to put it gently) to respond to e-mails. Why I am not sure, but something I have always noticed. Faxes seem to be more important to them. IMHO Ira is correct, do FAX them.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Hi,
We stayed at the Tramanto D'Oro in Praiano 2 years ago and loved this hotel. Fabulous view and a fabulous roof top pool. Give them a try. Enjoy!!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Hi,
Here is the web site for the Tramonto D'Oro.
www.tramontodoro.it
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM
ira

>I have found that Italians do not rush (to put it gently) to respond to e-mails. Why I am not sure, ...<

Probably because most e-mails are just casual shoppers. Fax and snail mail are people more interested in a booking.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning!
Actually I have received 3 emails back today - perhaps the weekend is the time to answer mail in Italy!
The man at Sirene said that he would get back with me after Jan 10 , which is getting closer all the time. I have only had one reply that that that there was no vacancy at all.

Ira, if you don't mind the questions, How were the steps for you? We are advancing in age (every year - and today is my birthday!) so we have to address issues that we didn't used to. I run up and down (steep) steps here in my house without thinking about it and we do walk a lot, but not usually up and down. How many floors is the hotel and do they assist you with baggage when you arrive? I've read your trip report of course, but I need to reread it and cut and paste the restaurant info....

swalter, did you have the standard room? Did you happen to see the quad? We may have another couple with us. Oh, and the same question that I asked Ira! Did they assist with the luggage when you first arrived? Thanks,
Brahmama
Carol
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi mama,

We are in our 60's.

We got the luggage down OK. Had a porter take the big suitcase up when we left. 5E/bag.

Going up and down is OK as the steps are broken up by streets and a plaza.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Re: <i>On our to-do list are: Capri, Ravello, Amalfi and some time in Naples to see the things that were closed the Tuesday we were there last time! (Esp the Veiled Christos) Any other suggestions??</i>

You didn't mention Pompeii and Paestum -- have you been there before? Definitely do try to see the Veiled Christ in Naples -- it is incredible.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Ira, emailers no doubt are more casual shoppers. Believe you are right. Sure makes sense.

And Brahmama, Happy Birthday!!
What a fun way to spend your birthday while dreaming and planning about Italy.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I have figured out how to fax to Italy! Thanks for the idea; it does make sense that there would be more attention given to a fax.

Ira, we are in our 60's too, and I think some of the older people on the board. So that encourages me. If you did it, we can do it!!!

Yipper, I did contact Tramanto D'Oro also, but it's a bit pricey for us, I'm afraid. also I have a bad habit of equating euros with dollars in my mind. They were about equal the last times we were in Europe. So my dh reminds me A LOT that we are talking EUROS! It does add up. sigh)

Monafelice, we were in Naples on a Tuesday - so while we visited Pompeii, we were unable to go to the Archeological Museum and the San Severo too. We were visiting from a cruiseship and just had one day.
Paestum sounds very interesting and I'll put that on our list.

Loveitaly,
Thank you! Planning a trip is always a fun thing to do! I am also cooking an Italian Buon Natale meal for 7 of my friends. I love to cook, so this is a great way to party. Proseco and all! I go to sleep dreaming about Italy....
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Brahmama, yum, imagine dinner will be fantastic. And I love Presecco!
BTW, lots of us our not &quot;spring chickens&quot; anymore. You will be fine.
And the nice thing is as we get older and wiser we know when to just stop, grab a table at an outdoor cafe, order that wonderful Italian wine and just enjoy la vita dolce!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:04 AM
ira

&gt;...stop, grab a table at an outdoor cafe, order that wonderful Italian wine and just enjoy la vita dolce! &lt;

Not to mention Il dolce far niente.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:44 AM

The slow replies might be down to the fact that many hotel staff here take their winter breaks now. As well as individual Hotel porters their are town porters in Positano who charge a small fee. Try Prosecco with Apricot juice or Raspberry Juice.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Ira and LoveItaly,
Exactly. It's taken me this long to learn how to slow down and savour the luxury of time spent doing whatever I please. Instead of what I always thought I *had* to do. We have just cancelled a cruise to Greece where I thought I *had* to go for the history. We are staying in Italy for 12 days instead. What freedom we have allowed ourselves!
Proseco with apricot or raspberry sounds heavenly! We had it on the 18th with peach and black currant liquors - our attempt at Bellini's. worked well!

New question:
We have to get from Civitavecchia to Praiano - probably by train. Will it be best to train to Salerno or to Naples? I've read so much about luggage baggage up and down in Naples that I'm hoping Salerno will prove as handy a stop.
Ira, I have a bit of car-sickness too. I took draminine (?) when we drove on the Amalfi coast and that helped. Did your LW try any meds? Did anything help?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Five months in advance is your definition of &quot;at the last moment&quot; ?!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi mama,

&gt;We have to get from Civitavecchia to Praiano - probably by train. Will it be best to train to Salerno or to Naples?&lt;

Praiano is somewhat closer to Naples.

We arranged for a private driver to take us from the train station to the hotel (about 90E)
Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

You can also take the Circumvesuviana train from the Naples station to Sorrento and the SITA bus to Praiano. Bus stops about 1/2 blk from the street to the Le Sirene.

You can take a cab from the Naples station to the Bevellero docks and take a ferry or hydrofoil to Sorrento. You will need a bus or cab to take you to the bus stop at the train station.

You can train to Salerno, take the ferry
(the dock is about 3 blks from the train)to Amalfi and the SITA bus to Praiano.

The ferry ride is quite pleasant and is easier than the Circumvesuviana.

&gt;..I have a bit of car-sickness too. I took draminine (?) when we drove on the Amalfi coast and that helped. Did your LW try any meds? Did anything help?&lt;

Her problem was not car sickness. She developed vertigo. Even sitting on the side of the bus away from the cliffs didn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -