Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris - Hotel Verneuil???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-verneuil-407504/)

mminila Mar 6th, 2004 11:02 AM

Paris - Hotel Verneuil????

Hi!!
Any comments for the Hotel Verneuil??? Does it has nice views from the balconys?? Are the beds confortable?? Any suggestions for places to have breakfast around?? Thanks you guys!!!

francophile03 Mar 6th, 2004 03:19 PM

I stayed at Hotel Verneuil last month. I had a standard double room and my aunt had a deluxe double room. The standard double room had just enough space for the bed, a desk, and a chair. There isn't much walking space in the room. The decor is different in all rooms I understand. My double room had a good double bed, not two twin beds pushed together, a wooden sort of canopy above the bed. There are two narrow closets on either side of the bed (you can see an example from a picture on their website). I liked the bathroom alot. It's almost as big as the room. It's marble with modern hardware, good shampoo/gel, various amenities, great water pressure, deep soaking tub, and large wall-mounted shower head. There's a glass partition to prevent water from spilling on the floor.
You will also see the original wooden beams in the rooms and the bathrooms.
My aunt's room had alot more space than mine, a nice floral canopy bed, a window overlooking rue de Verneuil, same type of bathroom, decor even included a large ginger jar in a showcase that lit up.
My room was #401 facing the courtyard (not really a courtyard but the inner part of the hotel facing other rooms). My aunt's room was #402 facing the street. I think the deluxe doubles may have a balcony. I know for sure room #302 has one as it was featured in Travel & Leisure. It's a popular room and I couldn't reserve it either.
Even if you got a balcony room I'm not sure of the view you'll have. Plus I'm not sure if balcony rooms face the direction of the street which faces away from the Seine. The hotel has only 5 floors also. You can certainly inquire because the staff answers all concerns.
Breakfast was included in our rates and it's too expensive if I had to pay for it separately. It's 12 euros but a buffet continental. It was tasty and service was nice.
On the whole my aunt and I really enjoyed our short stay at the Verneuil. We found the reception staff to be friendly and attentive. And of course we both liked our rooms and bathrooms very much.
For another place to have breakfast, you can walk a few minutes to rue de Buci and eat breakfast at Paul. It's around 8 euros for a simple continental breakfast consisting of croissant, half baguette, orange juice, and coffee. The complete breakfast includes not only what you get for continental breakfast but includes a couple of eggs too. It costs 12 euros I believe.
Other than Paul you can eat at any small cafe nearby. You are a couple of blocks from Blvd. St. Germain so there's no problem finding one.
I hope you have a great stay at this great hotel.

mminila Mar 8th, 2004 07:28 AM

Hi Francophile03!!!
Thanks for you great description of Verneuil Hotel. I already madre our reservations for next month. We are celebrating our 20 Aniverssary and is our first time in Paris. Any opther advise or hints that you might have for us will be very much apreciated.
Thank agian. Greetings from Mexico!!!

francophile03 Mar 8th, 2004 08:47 AM

Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay at the hotel and in this part of Paris-it's really nice. The reception staff is really helpful-daytime it's usually Nazira or Isabelle and nighttime it's Joseph. Did you mention to them it's your anniversary? Maybe they can do something special for you. At Valentine's Day they gave us each a box of chocolates.

I just have a couple of suggestions to you. If you need to call home buy a phone card with a code specifically. They are sold at the newsstand on Blvd. St. Germain and not at the tabac store on rue de Sts. Peres around the corner from the hotel. I paid 7.50 euros for mine to call the US and it was really worth it-something like 500 minutes total. And you can use the card at any phone. Another suggestion is to have the hotel suggest and book a reservation for you at a nice restaurant (at reception there's a book that has restaurant recommendations but Nazira and Isabelle should know which ones are suitable for you). I had dinner a couple of blocks away at a pretty nice restaurant called Le Bistrot de Paris on rue de Lille-nice decor, moderate prices, good service and food.

Other than those suggestions just check here at Fodors for other suggestions and hints as there are numerous ones.

Again have a great visit!

mminila Mar 19th, 2004 11:23 AM

Hi Again francophile03!
Your hints and advices will be very useful. Thanks again!
If you ever want to visit Mexico, I'll be very happy to help you with any matter that you need. Happy day!

francophile03 Mar 19th, 2004 09:21 PM

Hola mminila y muchas gracias! Let us know about your Parisian trip and how you liked the Verneuil.