Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel - Ultra-Deluxe !!! ?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 01:23 PM
L. Montgomery

We will be spending 3 nights in Paris on our way to Med. Cruise. Which Hotel would you recommend for Luxurious rooms, Service, View, etc.??

Thank You

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 07:27 PM
Louis Dameson

My intuition says you would most likely like the Bristol, Crillion or the George V. I hope you realize the cost of ultra deluxe rooms in Paris--Let say up to $650 per night for a double room. The Hotel Bristol should be about $50 less. Most of what you call deluxe rooms for two run around 3900FF a night with other costs in proportion and up.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 08:08 PM
L. Montgomery

Thank you for recomendations, I do realize what the prices are but expect this to be my only visit to Paris and as my husband tells people...If I'm not happy with my Hotel, no one is happy !!

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 06:30 AM
Leslie

L. Montgomery - I feel that you can't properly experience Paris by staying in an ultra-ritzy hotel. You'll miss out on the experiences of struggling with the language with non-English speaking hotel workers, and you'll be surrounded only by other rich tourists, and you'll probably get a breakfast more like what you're used to instead of a traditional French breakfast... it seems a shame to travel all the way to a foreign country, and not really experience it.

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 11:23 AM
dick lawrence

We would appreciate the names of quality hotels that you know of,including the Left Bank, in the range of $150-$200 U.S. Last trip we stayed at the Regina which was lovely, but on a tour rate. The rack or agent's rates may be too high. We are ,looking for alternatives, near the museums, river etc.

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 05:15 PM
Louis Dameson

To: Dick Lawrence---

Buy a copy of Fodor's Rivages "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris". It includes color photos and good descriptions. I think the book will be a great help to you. The prices seems to check out to current rates and the Franc is getting less expensive every day. I think you are soon looking at 6 FF to the dollar.

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 05:16 PM
Louis Dameson

To: Dick Lawrence---

Buy a copy of Fodor's Rivages "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris". It includes color photos and good descriptions. I think the book will be a great help to you. The prices seems to check out to current rates and the Franc is getting less expensive every day. I think you are soon looking at 6 FF to the dollar.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 02:20 AM
joelle

You may also try the Ritz hotel on Place Vendome...
Joelle

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 07:10 AM
joelle

Additional info: depending on the time of the year,
the ultra-deluxe properties also offer special rates
(week-ends, specials, summer breaks, etc.). For instance, there should be some promotions in August.
To be checked with your reservation center or agent.
Joelle

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 09:25 AM
Christina

To L Montgomery -- If I had the money, I'd stay at
the Crillon. And forget that guy telling you to
stay in a cheap hotel to experience "the real France"--
all you'll experience is cheaper tourists, and
crummy, small rooms, obviously, as well as a
cheaper version of the so-called "real French
breakfast", whatever that poster thinks that is.
If you want a croissant and coffee, obviously,
they ought to be good at a deluxe hotel
and that's about as authentic a French breakfast
as you can get. If I had the money, I'd stay at
as nice a hotel as I could, also. If somebody
came to the US, would you recommend they stay at
a Days Inn or Motel 6 so they could experience
"the real USA" if they could afford a nicer hotel
and wanted a real nice vacation experience?

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 10:48 AM
Leslie

Christina - I have been to Paris a dozen times, I have the money, and I always choose to stay at a small, quaint, charming hotel filled with FRENCH TOURISTS... not loud English-speaking Americans! The USA is a rich country full of luxuries and conveniences. A European visitor *should* stay at the nicest hotel he can afford to properly experience our way of life. Europe is small and crowded, full of culture, charm, and discomforts. What is the point of traveling all that distance and then surrounding yourself with American luxeries!? I'd be willing to bet that when you've traveled to Paris, you didn't bother to speak one word of French to anyone... just spoke in loud English, and expected everyone else to do the same.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 04:44 PM
Joyce

Leslie - BRAVO!!!

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 04:49 PM
Donna

Our our first trip to Paris last year, my husband and I stayed in a first class, deluxe hotel. Next time, we're staying at a smaller, more charming hotel in a residential neighborhood. Unless you have more money than you'll ever be able to spend, in my opinion a moderately priced room has everything you could possibly need or want. Just how much is a nicely decorated, clean room with a bath worth? We were in Paris seven nights. Every night, we would return to our hotel, finalize our itinerary for the next day over a drink in the lounge, go to sleep, get up, shower and dress and take off for another day. To really enjoy Paris, you must get up early and stay up late. We ran out of time long before things to see and do. And, I could not agree more with having your morning croissant and coffee at a local cafe. There's a huge range between Motel 6 and the Ritz. It doesn't cost any more to go first class, you just can't stay as long.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 09:15 AM
Christina

To Leslie --
For your information, I have studied at the Sorbonne,
as well as L'Institut Catholique in Paris and
speak more than adequate French. I have also been
to Paris many times, including living there
two summers. So much for your ignorant
stereotypes, which apparently include the
misinformation that all Americans are rich and
that luxury Parisian hotels are all run by
Americans.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 09:41 AM
Leslie

Christina - I've been living, working, and traveling in Europe going on 5 years now... and I am *astonished* that a fellow expat would recommend a super-deluxe hotel instead of a charming smaller one. I didn't say that fancy Parisan hotels are run by Americans... I said that they are full of Americans tourists and American luxeries.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 10:28 AM
Leslie

Christina (continued) - I'll try to make my point with 3 of my personal experiences... The first time we went to Barcelona, we stayed at a pension in a room amongst the family, and shared a bathroom with them. Every night, as we lay in bed, we would listen to the family - AT MIDNIGHT - fixing their supper, happily chattering as they ate, and then hear the mother doing the dishes well after 1 AM. It really sunk in that Barcelonians eat late! Secondly, we just came back from Turkey. I read in another of these forums someone recommending that visitors to Turkey should stay at a nice enough hotel with air-conditioning, so they could close the windows and not be awakened by the calls to prayer at 5 AM. Well, we had our windows open, and we were awakened, and yes it's annoying to not get enough sleep... and yet what an eerie experience it is (!) to hear those calls to prayer at dawn. Lastly, when we stayed at a Formula One (found throughout France), I remember standing in line for the bathroom behind a Frenchman... clad only in his bikini underpants, his newspaper under his arm. *These* are the flavors of Europe that you would miss out on in a super-nice hotel!

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 01:39 PM
L. Montgomery

Thank you to all who replied to my question.

I believe my choices have been narrowed to The Hotel Meurice, The Ritz , The Bristol or the Crillon.

Has anyone visited any of these?

Thank you

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 01:08 AM
joelle

As I live in Paris and used to work for an international company, I was able to visit some of the mentioned hotels :

- Meurice hotel : it looks very grand but can be very noisy as it is located straight on the rue de Rivoli which enjoys heavy traffic!

- Bristol hotel was very nice too with a small inner garden and a wonderful restaurant (I was invited for lunch!). I know for sure they offer some deals at present (check on Travelocity or Leading Hotels central reservation).

- Hotel de Crillon : I have never tried but everybody (even French persons say it's great).

- Same comments would apply to the Ritz.
Regards. Joelle

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 10:05 PM
Donna

Give up. Character and charm will never appeal to anyone without any.

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 06:44 AM
B.Irving

To: Dick Lawerence, We were in Paris in Mid-June for 4 nights. We stayed at the Folkstone Hotel, in the L'opera/ La Madeleine area. It is a
Best Western & you can call that chain for reservations. It cost us approximately $145/night for a triple. The room was comfotable, in the European
sense. The price included taxes, but not breakfast, which is served in an atmospheric room on the ground level. The room came with a bathroom, as all
Best Western recommend hotels do. It also had very good working air conditioning -- which was a blessing after hot days of touring, even in June.
The desk help was always informative & very helpful. We made some phone calls & they were not charged on the hotel bill. There is a bakery across
the street, from which we bought our morning bread(bagette) & other goodies. The hotel was only a couple blocks from the Madeleine metro stop &
such was convenient to everywhere, because of the metro (buy the 10 ticket Carnet).
When we were in Paris about 5 yrs ago, we stayed at the Hotel St.Dominique on the Rue St. Dominique. Then it was about $100 for a double. To me,
as an American, this hotel seemed to me to be more French -- small rooms etc. It was comfortable & I would stay there again. It is in alittle bit
more of a residential area, about 1/2 mile from Tour Eiffel. Being in a residential area, it was also noisey till all hours of the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -