Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel: To Marriott or Starwood or Not to Marriott or Starwood

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are making a first trip to Paris over Easter in April. We are not agreeing on where to stay so I'm looking for some thoughts/opinions from the peanut gallery!
I have visions of staying in a small cozy boutique hotel that when you wake up, you just KNOW you are in Paris. However, my BF has different ideas for what he expects in a hotel, and anytime he stays in a hotel he really wants to earn points for it. He's even considering using points but it just depends.
We only have 4 full days and I just feel sad about staying at any hotel with the name Marriott attached to it. Plus, many of the locations seem kind of iffy for a first trip with a small amount of time. However, I know it's only a place to sleep as we won't be in the room much, so should it matter what hotel it is as long as it's in a good location?
Does anyone have thoughts on any of the Marriott or Starwood properties? Or should I just let it go and be happy I'm going to Paris?
PS: How does the Easter holiday affect Paris?
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM

As for the Easter holiday, I've gone to Paris almost every year, for a couple of decades, during that time and it hasn't affected anything that I needed to do.

As for the hotel,I'm one who personally am not interested in staying in a chain hotel in Paris as there are so many nice quaint ones. Now, in other places in the world, sometimes chain hotels might be best to stay in.

I have a hotel thread for both the left bank and the right bank. Many fodorites have listed their favorites quaint hotels. I'll top the threads for you. Or you can probably type in my screen name in the SEARCH box to find it. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The hotel doesn't matter, and the location matters very little in Paris. You may have a different atmosphere, but it will still be totally Paris.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just be happy to have a place to stay
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM

But "atmosphere" has so much to do with the Paris experience! I could never stay in a Marriott in Paris, or anywhere outside the USA, actually. Well, if I were getting a major bargain I could suck it up, but I've spent plenty of time in Paris already.

As for Easter, a lot of stores were closed the last time I was there for the holiday (and for the Monday following), but there was still plenty to do and see...and eat and drink.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM

I've stayed at two Marriotts on business--one on the Champs E. and one I think they call Marriott Left Bank--it's near two metro stops. Neither location is "iffy." I much prefer boutique hotels but best decide soon one way or the other, you will be running out of choice soon.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

I could never stay in a Marriott in Paris, or anywhere outside the USA, actually.

We've always stayed in boutique hotels, too, never chains outside of the USA and London, although we always stay in chain hotels in the US (often Marriotts, or Ws, or Westins)and have stayed at several Marriott properties in London. Anyway, one time we went to Europe and used points to stay in Marriotts in Amsterdam, Prague (the former Renaissance) and Berlin. Even though it wouldn't have been my first choice for ambiance, we actually really liked having an American-style hotel to come home to after a day of feet-killing walking. Knowing your bed will be super-comfortable and the shower will be great is a plus! So now we "never say never".
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM

Well, Kolee5, to me there is a huge difference in PAYING for a Marriott in Paris and staying in one for FREE

Hubby and I stayed at the Renaissance Paris Vendome Easter week 2006 on points and had a wonderful time. DH is plat, so we had very nice room and an outstanding, free, delicious breakfast in the restaurant each morning. Location in the first could not have been more convenient.

Another thing for you to consider is Marriott's points use rule changes that were effective 1/15/2009. Now you stay 4 nights and get the 5th free, no more sliding scale. If you only have 4 nights I would not use the points for a Marriott stay. Save them for a time when you can get a bonus night.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM

If you would like a nice chain hotel try a Sofitel.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/reservation/hotel-paris.shtml
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM

If you would like a nice chain hotel try a Sofitel

Perhaps you didn't read the question?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I am going to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow and will be staying at the Marriott CasaMagna which I love. That said, I will only stay in a boutique/charming hotel in Paris. It is part of the experience of Paris.