Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris--Hotel Suite vs Double and a Single (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-suite-vs-double-and-a-single-184045/)

Belle-mere Mar 28th, 2002 03:45 PM

Paris--Hotel Suite vs Double and a Single

I've never stayed in a hotel suite in Paris and was wondering what the configuration of the suite might be. I ask b/c I am traveling to Paris with my dghtr and her husband; thought perhaps a suite would be less expensive than a double and single but am concerned about the possible lack of privacy. Has anyone stayed in a suite in a mid-priced hotel ("upper 2" or 3 star) that he/she would recommend? Or are suites more appropriate for families with young children, etc.?

janis Mar 28th, 2002 03:58 PM

I would think two rooms would be better simply because you would then have 2 full baths. In Europe most suites (except in some very high end hotels) you get 2 bdrms and 1 bath. For 3 adults I just think the extra bath is worth a lot.

Belle-mere Mar 28th, 2002 06:03 PM

Belle-mere,<BR><BR>Unless you don't mind lack of privacy and small spaces, and the possiblity of only one bathroom for all three of you, I would strongly suggest getting a double and a single. We ( two kids, husband) were booked into a suite at the Hotel Bourgogne et Montana in the 7th, and switched out of it because the second room was claustrophic. Another thought for you: What about renting an apartment in Paris? There's a regular Fodor's contributor who rents two apartments in Paris, one of which, in the southern end of the 5th, would certainly accomodate all three of you. I have not stayed there, although I've looked into it and checked his references, all of whom raved about the apartment. You can get more info about it at: LaCigaleParis.com. Let me know if you go- we're thinking about it for next year! Good luck.

ali Mar 29th, 2002 05:18 AM

We just stayed at a suite at Hotel de la Bretonnerie (3***) in the Marais for 180 euros. It had one room with a big bed (European style - they pushed two twin beds together, but made them up seperately), and another room with a single bed. The rooms were separated by a door, giving everyone privacy, and they were both large and comfortable. The main drawback was that the double room people had to go through the single room to go to the bathroom. The bathroom was huge, with a seperate room for the toilet, so there was some flexibility to it. We loved the hotel, even their cheapest rooms at 108 euros, and the location right off the Hotel de Ville couldn't have been more convenient.

Belle-mere Mar 29th, 2002 06:12 AM

Thanks, all; we just this a.m. made reservations for a double and a single, which probably is best for us. The Bretonnerie sounds lke a good place, tho, and reasonable.

Lori Mar 29th, 2002 06:38 AM

You are much better off with the double and single - you will all have privacy (and no matter how close the family privacy is good!!) and having separate bathrooms will be a real plus. Enjoy Paris. (Be prepared -- hotel rooms are generally pretty small).

Belle-mere Mar 29th, 2002 01:45 PM

Have been to Paris many times, just never in a suite or as this particular threesome! We're going to du Lys, my favorite little budget place. Merci beaucoup!