Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotel Sainte-Marie or some other (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-sainte-marie-or-some-other-578891/)

lovetotravel27 Dec 31st, 2005 08:36 AM

Paris hotel Sainte-Marie or some other

It's in the center, people say it's quiet. But what about the neighborhood? Is it safe? I read in 19th century it was a prostitute place, hmm... What about now?

Other choices would be hotel Roubaix, hotel la Marmotte, hotel Tiquetonne or Du Sejour. We'd like central location, Quiet and inexpensive. Nothing fancy, small rooms OK

ekscrunchy Dec 31st, 2005 08:39 AM

What is the address? I am not sure, really, where the "center" of Paris is.

ira Dec 31st, 2005 08:52 AM

Hi L,

What's your budget?

((I))

Scarlett Dec 31st, 2005 09:07 AM

I deduce :) that this is in the Marais. That is where you can find Hotel Tiquetonne. And the budget is inexpensive because that is the sort of hotel the Tiquetonne is and lovetotravel says Inexpensive.

Not having stayed at any of these hotels, but my son did stay at the Hotel Tiquetonne-I guess I would say try it. He had nothing bad to say about it and someone else posting on Fodors has stayed there and recommended it too.

Scarlett Dec 31st, 2005 09:09 AM

Hotel Tiquetonne, 6 rue Tiquetonne (metro Etienne-Marcel)
tel 42 36 94 58
"On a small street near rue Saint-Denis, Beaubourg, etc, but in a quiet place..."

StCirq Dec 31st, 2005 09:09 AM

It gets good reviews as a budget hotel on TripAdvisor, and it's on a quiet street, but it's not otally "central," though I'm not sure that matters, as you can easily hop on the métro or bu.

StCirq Dec 31st, 2005 09:10 AM

that should have been totally and bus. I spilled on the keyboard this morning.

111op Jan 9th, 2008 09:10 AM

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Ste-Marie?

I'm considering giving them a try. I'll be in Paris next weekend. Tiquetonne is booked for Saturday night but available Sunday.

I still haven't finalized my itinerary yet though, however.

I've checked Timhotels and Accor. Nothing available in this price range.

Thanks!

WillTravel Jan 9th, 2008 09:15 AM

I sort of considered it for our March trip. It sounds like Ste-Marie is OK. (One comment that put me off was about a staff member coming onto a female guest, so you can understand why I wouldn't want to take my teenage daughter here.)

One hotel that is not in a particularly nice district is Appi Hotel, but it's similarly located. You could get a double ensuite room for 60 Euros per night, or non-ensuite for 30.
http://www.appi-hotel-paris.federal-hotel.com

It's been reviewed relatively positively.

111op Jan 9th, 2008 09:26 AM

Thanks. As usual you come up with the great suggestions.

I assume the front desk is 24h -- or at least I can leave and come back late? I think that this is the sort of thing you must have investigated.

Thanks again.

WillTravel Jan 9th, 2008 09:43 AM

I don't actually remember the details. Perhaps I dismissed these possibilities before I got to that point. I don't recall any reviews complaining about less than 24-hour access, so I'm pretty sure they do have that.

Two other area possibilities I recall, but have not investigated, are Vallee and Rouen (or something like that).

111op Jan 9th, 2008 09:45 AM

Thanks. I think I'll just book Appi. It looks fine and I prefer the location to Sainte Marie.

I've decided to go to Strasbourg for the day. I'm also pretty sure that I'll be traveling in February.

Thanks again for all your help!

111op Jan 9th, 2008 09:51 AM

Well the hotel is full. I guess I've to go back to Ste-Marie. Thanks anyway!

You don't recall anything else bad about Ste-Marie, do you? I've already checked Tripadvisor.

111op Jan 9th, 2008 09:57 AM

I've booked a single for 56 euros with shower. Please let me know if there're any potential issues. I've until Jan. 16 to cancel.

Tiquetonne has raised the double prices by 5 euros from 50 to 55, by the way. I called them this morning.

WillTravel Jan 9th, 2008 10:02 AM

There are two reviews here which complain about the hotel - one because the elevator did not go to the top, and the other because the hotel mismanaged a mail delivery.

http://www.travel-library.com/hotels...nte_marie.html

Neither issue is likely to be a problem for you.

That's strange about the Appi - I had checked for your dates, and it came up with a price, but I didn't go to the next screen.

111op Jan 9th, 2008 10:52 AM

Yes, when you go to the next screen it tells you there're no rooms, and then it gives you a list of alternatives. I looked at some of them and they didn't seem appealing.

If you've time to kill, try that to make sure that I didn't do something silly. :-)

Thanks again!

WillTravel Jan 9th, 2008 11:01 AM

I found this site, and you can book a single-Top or double room on Appi for your dates, but not the ensuite one, so far as I can tell:
http://en.parisinfo.com/hebergements-hotels/100074/appi

If you are interested enough, it might be worth calling them.

111op Jan 9th, 2008 11:37 AM

What's single TOP? It's not available on Jan. 19. Double shower is not available on Jan. 20. I guess I can give them a call tomorrow though.

I'm a little worried about Ste-Marie though. The website says I can cancel up until Jan. 16, but I've never dealt with them before, so unless I really must change it maybe I'll just stick to it.

111op Jan 10th, 2008 03:58 AM

Hi WT, I tried the Federal Hotels site for Hotel Appi and it's not available Jan. 19-21 for the double with shower option. Was it really available for you earlier?

Jan. 20 not available on the Paris info website.

Ste-Marie hasn't charged my card yet.

Thanks again!

WillTravel Jan 10th, 2008 07:03 AM

Yes, I just tried the Federal Hotels site now, with the "Simple/ double twin douche/wc" on the French version of the Appi page, and it gave a price and seems to indicate that the next thing to do is fill out your name, etc. This is with Jan. 19 for 2 nights. I'm using IE6 here if that helps (although I can't see why it would).