Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotel rooms, large in size, not in price (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-rooms-large-in-size-not-in-price-189539/)

Tami Jan 22nd, 2003 08:09 PM

Paris hotel rooms, large in size, not in price

We're going to Paris in June and are willing to spend $300 - $400/night for a very comfortable room. Any feedback on the following, please.<BR>Hotel Mansart, Hotel Verneuil, Hotel de l'Abbaye or Hotel d'Aubusson. Thanks!

d Jan 23rd, 2003 05:36 AM

Tammy<BR>You do not have to spend that much for a decent and comfortable room in Paris. There many 2 and 3 star hotels that offer nice rooms for a fraction of that price. If you want to spend that much you can get into such places as the Marriott on Champ Elysees, perhaps the Ritz, maybe le Bristol, but on the last two you will be squeezing the rate. Really, you can get a very nice hotel for anywhere from 90 to 150 a night and use the money you save for some great meals.

xxx Jan 23rd, 2003 06:00 AM

d, it may be helpful to Tami (and others here) if you can give suggestions.

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2003 06:01 AM

The only one of your hotels I'm familiar with is d'Aubusson, which is a lovely hotel, but has smallish rooms, except for their deluxe or superior rooms which are ok, still not &quot;large&quot;.<BR>My choice in the $300-400 price range would be either Relais Christine -- making sure you get a large and &quot;bright&quot; room, or Relais St. Germain, beautifully furnished and very large rooms -- request one with a full sized sofa, lounge chair and desk making it like a suite, but one large room, all gloriously decorated by fine Parisian designers (the owners). Relais St. Germain actually comes in about 300 for their nicest room, which frankly I think I'd like better than Christine, and I know I'd like a lot better than d'Aubusson.<BR><BR>By the way, d, while we all have different priorities, I think you failed to understand Tami's. It is not unusual for some people to find their hotel room a very important part of their trip -- and that is their perogative. Of course, Tami doesn't NEED to spend that much money for a &quot;nice&quot; room, but she's looking for what I would guess is a very &quot;memorable&quot; room. Relais St. Germain has that.

Tami Jan 23rd, 2003 06:06 AM

Thanks for such a perceptive reply! I'll check out Relais St. Germain.

xxxx Jan 23rd, 2003 10:13 AM

While we're on the subject of large rooms...my son-in-law has voiced an interest in joining us with his girlfriend and daughter for a week during our stay in Paris. This is wonderful, but we like to stay at the Grand Hotel de l'Univers (6e)for the ambiance and location just off St. Germain and r. Buci but the rooms are on the small side. And my son-in-law tops over 300 probably! Anything close by for this special needs family that would be around 200/night?

xxx Jan 23rd, 2003 10:16 AM

Sorry Tami- I probably should have posted my own rather than &quot;borrowing&quot; yours (above). My humble apologies.

topping Jan 23rd, 2003 02:24 PM

Topping for Tami

Kristina Jan 23rd, 2003 05:54 PM

Tami, I considered Verneuil (the pictures of the rooms look wonderfully furnished and very tasteful), but everything I've read suggests that the rooms are extremely small. I ended up at the Millesime Hotel. I paid 190 euros for a superior room, which I found to be quite spacious and comfortable. The room isn't as luxurious as you might find at Relais Christine or other luxury type hotels, but the location is absolutely unbeatable. <BR><BR>I guess it depends on your priorities in rooms. I am typically one who prefers a luxuriously appointed, large room, as I often spend a fair bit of time in the room (vacation is one of the few times when I get to nap, relax and read). I made the concession in Paris to spend a little less on the room and go with a hotel that lots of people have recommended, and I wasn't sorry. Although it wasn't quite as nice as I am used to, I didn't spend nearly as much time in the hotel room in Paris...there was simply too much to see, and it was relaxing to just have a glass of wine or a coffee in the afternoon somewhere.

George Jan 23rd, 2003 06:33 PM

USD$300-400 is considered &quot;not large in price&quot;? Is that true, we want to go to Paris but that is way too much for us.

Tami Jan 23rd, 2003 06:49 PM

Patrick,<BR>When did you last stay at Relais St. Germain? I saw quite a few rants dated last summer.

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2003 07:24 PM

It has been three years since I stayed there (actually twice), and I too have read through all the rants and raves. Mixed with people who declare it is spectacular are a number of people who rant about such things as &quot;couldn't find the breakfast room&quot; which is clearly off the tiny lobby. Only a blind person couldn't find it. Several people have commented on the not so helpful staff, but I can't imagine such a thing judging from our experience. Someone claims that the breakfast is only ordinary, yet it is one of the very few hotels that doesn't charge for it at all. <BR><BR>I've always said I take many of those reports with a grain of salt and it is surprising how many seem to be written in the same style and close together, so I even wonder if they weren't all from the same person.

elaine Jan 24th, 2003 08:04 AM

At the d'Aubusson two years ago I had a &quot;superior twin room&quot;. Not enormous, but quite large, two double beds, plenty of space around and between, even a small sitting area, space to spread out and open suitcases.<BR>Bathroom good size and modern and with nice amenities including robes and toiletries.<BR><BR>I loved the hotel. They also sell the museum pass in the lobby with no markup.

Cindy Jan 24th, 2003 07:12 PM

The Hotel Christine is lovely.

Jill Jan 24th, 2003 07:31 PM

Best Western Gardens -- 29 rooms<BR>$130/night -- charming, remodeled, good size rooms, great location -- 10 mins. from metro...<BR>