Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   PARIS - HOTEL RELAIS ST. SUPLICE - recommended? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-relais-st-suplice-recommended-111585/)

Desi Mar 11th, 2001 08:57 PM

PARIS - HOTEL RELAIS ST. SUPLICE - recommended?

I have reservations at the Duc de St. Simone but have found the Hotel Relais St. Sulpice on the web and it looks very nice and is cheaper. I prefer to stay in the 6th - last time I stayed at the Jardin le Brea. It wasn't fancy, but I was there with 2 girlfriends, so we didn't care about romantic. They did speak English, though, and were very sweet. This time, I'll be with my husband for our tenth anniversary. He is not an experienced traveler. So, I'd like the trip to be really nice, but not spend a wad. Other hotel suggestions? Late April, early May. Any non-touristy activities as well would be appreciated. Has anyone eaten at Nos Ancestres Les Gaulloises on the Ile St. Louis? Is it still good? Also, where can you have raclette for dinner? Thanks.

Ursula Mar 12th, 2001 02:38 AM

Desi hello! <BR>About non-touristy activities you could got to www.parisavenue.fr. It's the site from the daily newspaper "Le Figaro" which is for the locals. They have a rather good English site as well. They also have good restaurants suggestions and newest in-places. <BR>You could choose smaller museums like Musée Picasso, Musée Grévin, Musée Bourdelle, Musée Zadkine which are usually not that crowded or just stroll through areas that are not soo touristy like the Bastille and Canal St-Martin or Chinatown area near Tolbiac. Nice streets for shopping or just looking around are Rue de Passy (very Parisian) and Avenue Victor-Hugo in the 16th Arr. In Passy you'll find a small wine museum. <BR>As for the raclette, I suggest you come to Switzerland...

Ursula Mar 12th, 2001 03:22 AM

Desi: I suppose you don't intend a trip to Switzerland just for a raclette. So, here are two places in Paris where you can have raclette (and also fondue): <BR> <BR>"Le Montagnard", 24, rue des Canettes, 6th <BR>Métro: Mabillon or St.-Germain-des-Prés. <BR> <BR>"La Grange" 72, rue Mouffetard, 5th <BR>Métro: Monge <BR> <BR>Sorry, bu no idea what they are like. I don't go for that dishes when in Paris.

Fred Mar 12th, 2001 04:00 AM

Never been there but people who have said: <BR>fairly new hotel <BR>rooms are pretty average size - not cramped <BR>hotel has a lot of charm <BR>modern in style <BR>small, charming, cozy <BR>immaculate hotel. <BR>thoroughly enjoyed our stay <BR>rooms are not large but OK <BR>modern bathrooms <BR>staff was very helpful. <BR>thought it was lovely

Patrick Mar 12th, 2001 07:04 AM

You can have a great raclette served as a full meal at La Ferme de St. Hubert, near Madelaine -- sorry not sure of address. It is next to a wonderful cheese shop.

Deena Mar 12th, 2001 08:16 AM

We stayed at the Relais St. Sulpice in September. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was very nice. We had a deluxe double with a view of the lovely courtyard. It was quiet and relaxing. The staff was very friendly and helpful and gave us wonderful suggestions for places to eat. I have stayed at 4 other hotels in Paris and this little hotel was our favorite. The location is perfect. We'd stay there again and recommend it to others.

Topsy Mar 12th, 2001 04:58 PM

Top it for Desi.

Christina Mar 12th, 2001 07:42 PM

There are some restaurants on the Left Bank where you can get raclette. Le Raccardon rue Laplace in the 5th specializes in it. There is also L'Assiette aux Fromages near Monge metro in the 5th that is a cheese shop and also has a restaurant, they would have raclette, I'll bet.

Desi Mar 13th, 2001 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses (although I don't get Topsy's), both on hotels, activities and raclette. Ursula, I was in Montreux in 1999 and got to have fondue among other delicious things- I'd love to go back any time, but this trip is only for 10 days, so Lyon and Beaujolais wine route, Provence and Paris are about all we can do. There's always next time, n'est pas? Thanks again for all the good info.