Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel: Relais St Germain or Esprit de St German

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I will be in Paris this summer with my 2 teenagers. My choice is between Relais St Germain (duplex)and Esprit St Germain (2 connecting rooms). Price is about the same. Which should I take???
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Hi! This is totally random but I was vacilating between Esprit St. Germain and Pavillon de la Reine. I have heard great things about Esprit.

However, when I googled it a weird post on Craiglist Paris came up. It was a married man in Paris on business who was seeking another man for some taudry French fun. I didn't want to have my short break with my husband in a hotel where there was crazy, anonymous sex parties have taken place.

I know hotels are for romance but it was a bit too much for me! Needless to say, we're staying at Pavillon de la Reine.

Good luck!
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Huh? If there are sex parties going on at the Esprit St. Germain this is the first I've read about it. It's always been reviewed quite well by former guests.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM

That's right. Guests don't have relations in hotels. At least, not respectable ones. Quelle horreur!
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Francofile03, I promise you, there was a Paris Craigslist posting "Men seeking Men." Named the hotel. I almost sent to their concierge as FYI but thought maybe I was too "uptight American."

Still, I am going to go by and check it out while we're there. It was recommended to me by someone I trust implicitly. I sent her the listing and she too, was surprised!

I will see if I can find it their archives??
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Do you honestly know what goes in behind doors in any hotel where you stay? and do you realize Pavillon de la Reine is in 'le Marais', touted to be gay central for Paris?
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Thank you, Travelnut.

Lulubelle, you are being too uptight. What happens behind someone's closed hotel door is none of your business, nor is it necessarily indicative of anything other than someone's private business.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Travelnut does have a point, but for what it's worth, Lulu, I don't think you're being "uptight" at all. It's your money and sounds like you're choosing to spend it elsewhere.

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I sort of found that post, but I really had to work at it. It doesn't come up that easily on Google.

Craigslist has lots of personal ads, including same sex ads. So one of them suggested meeting at Esprit St Germain. I suppose that never happens in any other hotel in Paris -- ha ha. It wasn't a sex "party", just one couple. I also saw such an ad for the Paris Hilton CDG, so I guess no one should stay there any more. Also at the Marriott and the Hotel du Louvre and the Meridien Montparnasse.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM

HELLO??!! Who on this forum wouldn't be weirded out by CONFIRMATION of anonymous internet sex rendezvous before arriving at their hotel? I realize any hotel could be a meeting point and yes, Travelnut, anyone who does even the slightest bit of research on Paris or Pavillon knows Marais is a "gay area." Duh!

Also, I just looked up the post and it's expired from the Paris Craiglist. It was from 4/25 and was quite explicit.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Lulubelle, I do think you are being too uptight, and you asked who wouldn't be weirded out , well , me , I could care less.

It is not a "sex" hotel, it just happened to be mentioned on the one ad you found, believe me there is weird sex going on in every hotel at one time or another so what difference does it make to you??
Is it because the man was married, or because he wanted gay sex?

Paris is a city that many married lovers sneak away too, so while you may smile at the couple at the next breakfast table in the morning, remember they may be married, but, not to each other!!! LOL
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Lulubelle, one more thing, please contact hotels staff and let them "know about this" , they need a good laugh.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Bozama,

I have an active imagination and don't want to spend the little time I have to be romantic (I have three kids 5, 4 and 1 this week) thinking about all the bodily fluids I could see if I had a blacklight!

Don't care who's doing who, straight, gay, bi...again for me, ignorant is bliss.

BTW I'll be bringing my trapeze and myriad of leather outfits to Paris.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM

lol
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I've stayed several times at the Esprit St Germaine. They are a small boutique Hotel. The staff their are absolutely wonderful. When we needed a taxi, and the phone cabs were busy, she even "jogged" two blocks away to a taxi stand, and brought one back- above and beyond service.

Some of the rooms are a bit small, but everything is extremely new and nice, a bit modern, but we loved it. There is a open bar downstairs, and the hotel has an arragnement with several nice restaurants in the 6th. The Hotel is in a great location, near 2 metro stops: Mabillon and ___, and is close to everything you would want to see in the 6th.

This is NOT a twadry hotel, and that type of "tryst", even if true could happen anywhere.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Yes I know this is a gorgeous boutique hotel. One of the most sophisticated people I know who has all the resources in the world recommended it. I love the location and will be swinging by while we're there to check it out. We picked Pavillon for many reasons one of which (not the only one, mind you!) was the weird posting on Craigslist.