Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotel questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-questions-738605/)

girlonthego Sep 24th, 2007 12:33 PM

Paris hotel questions

Hi All,
I just booked us a trip to Europe next summer! We are planning to spend 3 nights in Paris before heading to Austria to visit with family and travel around.
I am looking for an area of Paris to stay in that would be safe for a family to walk around, is near the sights, and would love to find a room that accomodates the 4 of us for a reasonable price.
If any of you have recommendations on where to begin, I would appreciate it. Last time I was in Paris was about 20 years ago. I have scanned some recent posts, but don't see anything specific.
Thanks.

ira Sep 24th, 2007 12:37 PM

Hi G,

Is that 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 children? If the latter, how old?

((I))

girlonthego Sep 24th, 2007 12:38 PM

2 adults and 2 teens (13 and 15)
Thanks.

paris1953 Sep 24th, 2007 12:40 PM

Hotel del al Bourdonnais...right next to Champs de Mars, Eiffel Tower, Rue Cler, a couple of grocery stores, a great cafe, and a metro stop. Very safe area and easy to get around. I love staying in this area and this hotel also has working A/C, which you may need in the summer.

paris1953 Sep 24th, 2007 12:41 PM

Oops...didn't proof my response! Sorry... Hotel de la Bourdonnais...

girlonthego Sep 24th, 2007 12:43 PM

Thanks I will check it out!

girlonthego Sep 24th, 2007 12:49 PM

It gets good reviews, but is only rated 1 star?

Christina Sep 24th, 2007 01:01 PM

Where did you read that star thing? If it is tripadvisor, they make up their own star ratings, don't pay any attention to them. They are really bad -- I stayed in a hotel once in the US that would be at least 3* according to most accepted terms, and they rated it 1* (I thought it would be a tent in a parking lor ot something--it had an elevator, restaurant, 24 hr desk clerk, and garage, and was pretty nice).

Once tripadvisor censored one of my hotel reviews because I said that the 1* tripadvisor rating was not accurate.

IN any case, it is a 3* hotel, you can tell the official ratings on the Paris Tourist Information website www.parisinfo.com, or all hotels that state them on their official webpages in France are pretty accurate, from what I've seen. If they don't want to mention it, they leave it off rather than just lying about it.
http://www.hotellabourdonnais.fr/

cheryllj Sep 24th, 2007 01:10 PM

I would prefer the 5th or 6th arr. over the quieter 7th, especially with teenagers. The Hotel Familia on rue des Ecoles near the Sorbonne in the 5th has a decent rate for quad rooms, iirc. There is also the Hotel Minerve, which is next door to the Familia (or close by anyway).

JeanneB Sep 24th, 2007 01:33 PM

We needed just such an arrangement last year and stayed at Hotel de Notre Dame. I've stayed there before...fabulous location right across the river from Notre Dame (Left Bank--5th). Clean, safe, modern bathrooms, elevator. The river and Isles are no more than 100 yds from the hotel door. Lots of nearby restaurants.
We had 2 rooms on the 4th or 5th floor. After the elevator one walks down the corridor and ascends a half flight of stairs with a tiny landing at the top. Only 2 rooms open off that landing, so it's very private. It was warm and we even felt secure leaving the doors ajar at night to get a cross breeze. Both rooms were good-sized by Paris standards.

They overlook a quiet little courtyard and the rooftops over toward Notre Dame. There was no A/C, but we slept fine with the windows open (this was early September). Rate was 155eu per room.

Oh! I just went to get the link and see they've changed the name to Hotel Maitre Albert (name of street)...probably to eliminate the perpetual confusion with the other nearby Hotel named Notre Dame. Here's the new link:
http://tinyurl.com/yobs7n

girlonthego Sep 25th, 2007 03:02 AM

Thank you all very much. I am checking into the hotels mentioned. A couple of these are in Rick Steve's best of Europe book!
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Relais Bosquet?
Thanks.

Michel_Paris Sep 25th, 2007 05:40 AM

JeanneB/girlonthego,

The Hotel maitre Albert is the "wrong" Notre Dame. It is the old Hotel De Notre Dame. The hotel you are thinking about is the Hotel LE Notre Dame. I have stayed at LE Notrre Dame, and like JeanneB can recommend it. We stayed in the top floor room. It has a double and a single in a loft abbove the main room. Our window overlooked the Seine and Notre Dame...great view, great sunsets, VERY close to many of the sights, across the street from RER to airport, 10 mins from Seine cruises, load of restos. The "new" Maitre Albert is a hotel I've walked by and thought was nice.

Do a search on the Relais Bosquet here, I have seen reviews.

JeanneB Sep 25th, 2007 06:32 AM

Michel:
No, I was referring to what is now the Hotel Maitre Albert (formerly Hotel DE Notre Dame)...the one with the red "storefront" facade. LOL! Good example of the "perpetual confusion" I referred to in my previous post!

Though I've never stayed at the "LE" hotel, we chose this one due to the quieter location: one way street slightly off the much-traveled quai. All descriptions I provided above refer to the newly named Hotel Maitre Albert....on the street with the same name. And, yes, these rooms were very quiet.

Metro access might be better at the "LE", but we walk most everywhere. From our hotel I loved being so close to the Pont Archeveche and Ile St Louis.

jody Sep 25th, 2007 06:49 AM

I've not stayed at the Relais Bosquet but I am looking at their apartments for a spring trip. The hotel is certainly in a very safe area, the 7th, but is close enough to the livelier areas for your teens.

The apts. are right next to the hotel , are serviced every 2 or 3 days, have a 2 night minimum and are about half what 2 rooms would run at the main hotel. They do look lovely.

http://www.apartmentparishotel.com/appart42.html

josephina Sep 25th, 2007 07:09 AM

I usually recommend to friends back home who are going to Paris for the first time to draw a circle around Notre Dame and look for hotels near Metro/RER stops. That allows the group the options of strolling along scenic areas of both banks of the Seine, exploring the Ile de St. Louis at one's leisure, and easily accessing RER/Metro lines for point-to-point transport, etc.

Therefore, I don't recommend the 7th for newbies, even though I certainly like it. I've stayed at the Bosquet three times. The 7th is NOT the ideal place to stay, however, when you'll be in Paris only three days, when you haven't been in Paris for 20 years and when you have teenagers.

The 7th is certainly safe to walk around--as long as you're not hanging around streetcorners by the Tour Eiffel at night--but it has no nightlife and limited shopping. I like its bus connections but find the Metro connections to be indirect. Those concerns don't matter to me--I've seen most of the tourist stuff by now--but it does matter when you have limited time.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with hotels with rooms for four but can tell you that the location of Hotel de Notre Dame would be ideal. Whether the hotel rooms there are good for your needs for others to say.

Michel_Paris Sep 25th, 2007 07:15 AM

Very funny. When I did stay at LE, we showed up at DE and the kind person directed us to LE. Glad to hear the MA is nice, I like its location on a one way street, but only a block from Seine.

As a fisrt timer, I'd agree with others and suggest something in the 4/5/6th. For centrality (a word?), access to the Metro lines that go to main sites, walking distance to some of main sites, airport access,choice of restaurants,etc...

Ile St Louis is also a nice location.

I know I have seen many threads here on 4 people rooms, so I would do a search.

Bonne journée!

Mike

girlonthego Sep 25th, 2007 01:12 PM

Thanks for all the info so far.
I am checking all of these great leads out!!

JeanneB Sep 25th, 2007 03:14 PM

You might also look at Hotel du College de France. I remember reading several good reviews of it as a lower-budget hotel but still in a good location. Lots of student life in a lively area. I haven't looked at its reviews lately, but noticed it on my bookmarks as one worth checking into.
http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/

girlonthego Sep 26th, 2007 10:17 AM

Hi all,
Booked the Claude Bernard Saint Germain! It looks like it has gotten mostly good reviews, has a/c, and a quad in a good area for walking around and seeing the sights!
Thanks all for the info!

plafield Sep 26th, 2007 10:37 AM

Try Residence Henry IV in the 5th, right near the Sorbonne. We stayed there with my 2 adult daughters and loved it. One bedroom with double bed, and the "living room" with a couch that opens into a double and a table and chairs for eating breakfast. There's a big, lovely bathroom, a tiny kitcheonette with a fridge, sink and 2 burners. There's a lift, and a very friendly and helpful 24 hour front desk. I don't know about air conditioning (we didn't need it in May)The location is fabulous and we paid 185E a night in May 2006, booked online at an earlybird special price. Check their website http://www.residencehenry4.com/rooms.html