Paris - Hotel Muguet - Opera

Dec 6th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Tony

Paris - Hotel Muguet - Opera

We were able to get an inexpensive Delta flight for Paris in March. I have tried to make Reservations at the Hotel Muguet on the internet 5 days ago and have not received a confirmation. Has anyone had experience with the Muguet? Should we phone?

I have also made reservations at the opera. I wonder how dressed up we need to be. We are attending on a monday.

This will be fun. It's been fifteen years since we've been to Paris. Has anyone been in late March? How cold will it be?

Tony

Dec 6th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Beth

You may want to try the Hotel Muguet again -- I have made reservations with them in June, and received extremely prompt responses to every e-mail I have sent them. Perhaps your e-mail was lost in cyber-space? I initially contacted them through www.parishotels.com.

Dec 6th, 2000, 07:23 AM
meg

Try e-mailing Hotel Muguet again. I made and confirmed reservations via e-mail last summer. Prompt replies always. I e-mailed the hotel directly, did not go through a booking site.

Great hotel for the money. Tiny, tiny showers! Good location. Nice people.

Dec 6th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Tony

Thank you for your replies. I did email them again, but it may have been the booking site. Do you know the direct email address.
I didn't realize this would only be posted on the French forum. Is there a way to get it on the Europe forum as well? Or do I start over. It has been a while since I posted.

Dec 6th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Kris

I also had trouble with the internet booking so I emailed them at [email protected] and they replied within a day. We had a very small room the first time we went so we got the larger, more expensive room the second time and it was well worth the extra francs.

Dec 6th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Bobbi

Tony, regarding your opera question. My husband and I saw Tosca at the Bastille Opera house in October. My husband wore a coat and tie and I wore a black travel dress with a scarf we felt like we fit in just fine. It was a wednesday night and dress varied from business casual (w/o coat) to a small number of very dressy (evening gown). Overall it looked like most people came wearing business like apparel. Hope you enjoy the opera as much as we did.

Dec 6th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Bob Brown

Will you be attending Don Carlo?
We went to an evening performance of
Turandot in September, 1999.
My wife had along black dress with the various add-ons. I had a dark blue sport jacket with dark grey slacks.
We had seats in the 2nd most expensive section, so I thought we should look the part. I thought we were dressed just fine until we sat down and noticed that the man next to my wife was wearing a very formal, very black T-shirt.
(no tie). Go figure.
We saw people dressed to the nines and later there were younger folks dressed like they were on their way to a class at most any major state university in cool weather. Jeans and the like.
I gathered that you would need to be pretty scruffy to get the heave ho.

Dec 6th, 2000, 12:15 PM
gb

Loved Hotel Muguet. Don't use the booking service. We especially had trouble with French Reservation Service

Dec 6th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Tony

Kris, I will try the email address you gave me. It is different from the one I used before. I think the one I used was provided with the parishotels.com internet site. Did you then book directly with the hotel or did they just confirm that you had already booked? Thanks.

Bob and Bobbi. We are seeing Don Carlo. Second balcony third row. We'll take our small binoculars. It was easy to book the Bastille Opera on the internet. Thanks for the tips on clothing.

Dec 6th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Kris

Tony, I was fairly certain that the internet booking didn't work so I sent an email requesting a reservation and explaining that I had tried the internet booking service (I think it was the same one you've mentioned)but that it didn't appear to work so that I didn't end up with 2 reservations.

I used this email address in September so it should be the correct one.

Dec 8th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Tony

I used the email address provided by Kris to contact the Hotel directly. Everything went smooth, I now have the reservations and they are confirmed. Thanks to everyone.

Dec 8th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Tony.
I looked at the cast, but I am not familiar with the singers. In 1999, I was not familiar with any of them either, but they were all good.
I suggest that you approach the staging with an open mind. As I said earlier, we saw/heard Turandot. The man in charge of staging the production was in love with stell ladders and other contraptions. He had the priest who opens the opera by reading a decree standing on the end of a horizontal catwalk that jounced as he sang. I would have been terrified to stand on that thing, suspended about 10 feet above the stage. The 3 Chinese characters, Ping, Pang, and Pong, were in one scene scaling up and down metal ladders on wheels while the sang.
Those guys were not only good singers, they were also fantastic athletes.
But once I got used to the quirks of the staging, I leaned back and enjoyed the main singers and that glorious chorus that enriches to many Paris opera productions. James Conlon was the conductor of a very good opera orchestra. So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Dec 8th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Bob B

OOPS Steel ladders (or metal of some sort, probably aluminum actually)