Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris hotel ?, if $ was not an issue... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-if-was-not-an-issue-625835/)

Heavens Jun 23rd, 2006 09:07 AM

Paris hotel ?, if $ was not an issue...

Where would you stay? We have some friends going in Sept. first class all the way. They have a TA planning all of it. She sends them options for hotels. Sooo, just for fun, I was wondering, where would you stay if money was not a problem? What district and what hotel? They want American king bed, sleep is a big issue to them, they are in the 50's. Sooooooo?

mikeyb Jun 23rd, 2006 09:13 AM

Hi H,

There's a wonderful Hostel in the 6th that I just adore, but alas the price!!!

Margaretlb Jun 23rd, 2006 09:17 AM

How about Hotel de Crillion? Alas, I've never stayed there. I can vouche for the king beds at the Hilton Paris and it's a quiet section of town at night. The Hilton beds and bedding is great. There is a more upscale Hilton (Hilton Arc de Triomphe) in the 17th so that's a little bit out of the way.

Christina Jun 23rd, 2006 09:17 AM

well, going first class is different6 to me than going luxury where cost is truly no object (like movie stars do). Also, I suspect that people who do have some money limits have probably never stayed in that level of hotel to really make fine differential assessments in the various luxury hotels. I know I sure haven't, all I know is what I've read on them and where they are.

So, based on that, I would probably choose the Hotel Pont Royal just because I like it's location very much, then maybe Montalembert. Most of the luxury hotels aren't in areas I would care to stay in. So that's what I would choose if this were really something I was likely to do myself, but if this were some limited prize for an event I'd never experience again (not true for your friends, obviously), I'd go for the top experience at the Crillon or Plaza Athenee probably.

gradyghost Jun 23rd, 2006 09:35 AM

One word --RITZ

butter924 Jun 23rd, 2006 09:45 AM

Definitely the Georges V

francophile03 Jun 23rd, 2006 09:48 AM

My choice is way out of my rate range and it's not a large hotel. It's an independent, small boutique type of hotel located near the Marais called Pavillon de La Reine. I believe it's part of the Small Leading Hotels of the World group.

Squeak Jun 23rd, 2006 09:49 AM

George V
Ritz
Lancaster
Crillion

MyriamC Jun 23rd, 2006 10:21 AM

Pavillon de la Reine. For sure!

tuscanlifeedit Jun 23rd, 2006 10:25 AM

ooooo, I would love to stay at the Pavillon de la Reine.

I am madly in love with the idea of the Georges V, and even went there to use the bathroom, but I would not like the location for a stay in Paris.

As someone else posted, most of the very top luxury hotels in Paris wouldn't be in a neighborhood that I would enjoy staying in.

But Pavillon de la Reine would suit me all the way around, location included.

ILUVPARIS Jun 23rd, 2006 10:38 AM

George V for sure. We stayed over New Years 2001 and it's by far one of our favorite hotels in the world. If you're looking for a special occasion hotel, you've come to the right place! Exceptional service, rooms, and food. I can't say enough about this hotel. I think it's the finest in Paris!

LuckyLuc Jun 23rd, 2006 10:43 AM

Au Bristol for a discret total luxury experience, and there is no nouveaux-riches at the Bristol. (lol)

Traviata Jun 23rd, 2006 10:43 AM

Pavillon de la Reine...it's around the corner from our usual hotel. We walked the lobby and the grounds...very beautiful.

cantstayhome Jun 23rd, 2006 10:53 AM

My hubby stayed at the Crillon as a kid and still talks about it!

thit_cho Jun 23rd, 2006 10:58 AM

Any place but The Ritz -- I have stayed there, and its like staying in a mall overrun with sightseeing Americans. Its the tackiest place I have ever stayed.

nytraveler Jun 23rd, 2006 11:05 AM

The Crillon and Georges V are both good choices. The former can be noisy at times due to location. the latter is in a quieter location - but a little futher from sights. You can any kind of bed you want at either hotel- just arrange in advance. Although - this should not be an issue -ifi they're paying this for a hotel I'm sure they'll cab everywhere.

Must be nice to be able to spend that kind of money on your own dime - I only get to do it on business - and then you're so tired it doesn't exactly which hotel doesn;t matter much.

Heavens Jun 23rd, 2006 12:32 PM

Yes, is is good for them. She is old money, he is new, and since they have so much, might as well enjoy it. Just wish they were taking us with them, LOL. Believe it or not, he has never been to Europe. He's been to Mexico, Canada and HI, so is he gonna fall in love, or what. They are going to Rome and Venice too.

I agree that the neighborhood plays a huge part in enjoying your hotel. I don't like to be in the middle of all the action, like Times Square, but I do like to have things in walking distance. We loved our hotel in the 6th, and if I am ever so blessed as to go back, it would be hard for me to not stay in that district again.

Thanks all for you opinions. I personally HATE stuffy hotels, but since they got married at a Ritz, not sure they do. I get the feeling that the Ritz is old and stuffy. Are any others on the list old and stuffy?

chris1234 Jun 23rd, 2006 12:37 PM

How about the Regina near the Lourve?

Weadles Jun 23rd, 2006 12:42 PM

If your friends are really insistent on an "American king bed", they may have to stick with the big luxury names. I can't think of any smaller luxury hotels that offer anything more than two twins pushed together or a double bed.

By the way, the Pavillon de la Reine is really wonderful- great location just off Places des Vosges in the Marais-,very nice rooms and service, but it might not suit people whose taste runs to The Ritz.

waggis Jun 23rd, 2006 01:57 PM

Hotel Lancaster - classy and chic. We love small hotels.