Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel: Hotel St. Jacques or Hotel College de France

Notices

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stayed at the Hotel St. Jacques in Paris in November and loved it. The only negatives were the thin walls and some street noise. I am returning in March and considering the Hotel College de France as this was almost where I stayed last time (both hotels rate high on this board). Should I be safe and book the Hotel St. Jacques again, or go for the Hotel College de France? Has anyone stayed at both that can compare for me? I am taking a friend to Paris for the first time and I don't want to be disappointed-but I would also like to try something new. I would especially like descriptions of the rooms with two twins at the College de France. Thanks!

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are enough reviews on TA about College de France to help you decide if it will be good, since you've got experience in general w/ Parisian hotels and the layout of the Latin Qtr..
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wtggirl, I spent a night at the Hotel College de France recently. The staff and owners are great, the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. Too quiet. We went somewhere else. I live in a quiet area and enjoy the life and sounds of Paris.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gomiki, I like the idea of quiet as long as I am very close to the action, in which I know I am. I think I am going to go for the College de France. I did not find much information on the threads about the rooms (except that the beds are comfortable), so if anyone can give some descriptions of the difference between standard and deluxe twins and doubles that would be great.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wtggirl, the room I was in had a double bed. It was the basic room and quite small. (I am used to small rooms in Paris). One problem for us was that it did not have a mini-fridge and the bathroom was on the same wall as the top of the bed. (Does that make sense?) It just wasn't the right room for us. Be sure to try the restaurant (don't have the name with me) on the corner across from the hotel.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do both hotels have elevators?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hotel College de France has a TINY elevator. One person with a piece of luggage tiny.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, we have only stayed in two hotels in Paris (neither of these) but both had tiny elevators, nothing more than a person and a bag could fit. One of us crams in, the other walks up.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiny hotel elevators are pretty much typical for Paris hotels. I think you'd have to stay in a 4* or chain hotel if you want roomier elevators.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I canít compare the two hotels because Iíve only stayed at the College de France, but I can highly recommend it. I thought it was a great value for a two-star hotel. Iím pretty sensitive to noise, and I wasnít bothered by noise from other rooms or by street noise. I stayed in a standard double, so unfortunately I can't describe the rooms with two twin beds.

The restaurant gomiki mentions is Pre Verre. The food there is very good, and the fixed price lunch is a great value.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can ask the hotel to give you the room dimensions.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The room dimensions will be in meters.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed the hotel and they said the room is larger for a superior twin and is located on the top floor with beamed high ceilings. It would be nice to know how much larger, but they did not give measurements, probably because the standard rooms vary.

When I stayed at the St. Jacques, the elevator was tiny also- two people max or one person with one suit case. Also, with the rooms there they had superior and standard. We took the standard and we were fine with it. But, it was for my husband and I. Had it been for two girls with lots of luggage, I think I would have wanted more space. I think I may have just answered my own question .
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which metro stops are these hotels near?
Also, do they offer breakfast? (I like to have it before I go out, if it's a reasonable option.)
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shalot, the St. Jacques sits on the corner of Rue des Ecoles and Rue des Carmes. The closest metro is Rue Maubert Mutualite only one block away, but it is not a major line, so we often walked three blocks or so to Notre dame/St. Michel. The College de France is located a block and a half further towards the Seine between the Rue Des Ecoles and the Rue St. Germain on a side street. It is 1 1/2 blocks to either Maubert or Cluny/Sorbonne and two blocks to Notre Dame/St. Michel. Both hotels small breakfast at about 8E per person. I just made my reservation at the College De FRance to try something different and because the location is slightly better for where we will be going a lot (we are three woman traveling alone and walking alone a lot). I loved the St. Jacques so it was a hard choice, but I don't think one could go wrong with either hotel!