Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel - Hotel Sainte-Marie / Hotel Du Lion D'or

Mar 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Europe with my boyfriend in this July and am now nearly crazy in finding a budget hotel in paris. I found the below 2 hotels which seems quite good, esp in terms of location and price:
1) Hotel Sainte-Marie, 6, Rue De La Ville-Neuve, 75002 Paris, Euro56 for a double room, 1-star.
2) Hotel Du Lion D'Or, 5 Rue De La Sourdiere, 75001, Paris, Euro79.3 for a double room, 1-star.

Has anyone stay there before? Is the area safe and quiet enough? I am wondering how 1-star hotel looks like (I know that rooms must be small, at least it is clean with shower that is okay).

Can anyone suggest some hotels that are between Euro50-70, near Metro, safe and quiet? Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Sorry, but I can not help you with those two hotels, but here are a couple you might consider.

Hotel Jean Bart
9, rue Jean Bart
75006 Paris
Tel: 01 45 48 29 13

I have stayed at this hotel twice and I found out about this hotel from a French teacher in our community. He takes students to Paris every year and uses this hotel. The hotel is located about 2 blocks west of the Luxembourg Gardens and about a year an a half ago I paid 55 euro for a single with full bath. This price included breakfast. The decorating is dated, but the hotel is clean. There is an elevator, but no AC. There is a convenience store on the corner and on the next corner there is a Oriental take-out with two small tables if you care to eat there. The food is really inexpensive at this oriental restaurant if you are on a budget. The metro (St Suplice) is a few blocks away and there are two bus stops within a block. You will have to call to make reservations and will have to speak French. Have someone call for you if you do not speak French. I do not speak French and I did not have any problems when I arrived at the hotel or checked out. They do no accept credit cards and will have to pay in cash when you check out --- be prepared.

Lux Hotel
8 ave de Corbera
75012 Paris
Tel: 01 43 43 42 84
Fax: 01 43 43 14 45

I stayed at this hotel in 1998 and it is in the area of Bastile and only a couple of blocks from the Reuilly Diderot Metro stop on the No. 1 line. When I stayed there my friend from France was with me and he talked to the people at the desk to get a room (we walked directly from Gare de Lyon and did not have a reservation--in November). I do not know if they speak English, but I feel they might. At that time the rate was really reasonable and I feel that they would be less than the Jean Bart. The rooms were of good size with full bath. If I remember correctly, the breakfast was additional. I found a web site with some information. It looks like the price for a double is between 47 and 58 Euro. Here is the web site: http://en.federal-hotel.com/hotel_ho...paris_2144.htm

I hope I have been of some help. If you wish, you are welcome to e-mail me for more information.
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that these are two star hotels and I would say they were in a safe area, but I feel safe almost anywhere in Paris. I see that the hotels you mentioned are in the 1st and 2nd. The hotels I mentioned are in the 6th and the 12th. Even though they are not as well located as the hotels you mentioned, they are really not that far away in time via the metro to the center of the city. These are also 2 star not 1 star.

You will find the rooms small if you are comparing them to a hotel or motel room in the US, but they are clean and they have a full bath in the room.
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:09 AM

psymaggie, I would ordinarily have no problem with a budget hotel, but I posted on this board about the advisability of having no air conditioning in a July hotel room. The consensus was that I should get air conditioning. If you agree with this, consider an Ibis or Mercure(http://www.accor.com) as your cheapest way of getting both a reasonable location and air conditioning. (Note: You still have to check each Ibis or Mercure separately to determine if they have A/C.)

You can click on my name to see some threads posted on this subject.
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM

A lot of Parisian hotels have discounted rates in July, from 10-20 pct. I would never pay 79 euro for a 1* hotel in Paris.

YOu can get a two star hotel for that rate, even cheaper. For example, the 2* Beaugrenelle St Charles or Fondary (both in the 15th, but a nice area near the north and the Charles Michels/Zola metro stops) are only 65-70 euro for a double. The 3* Alize Grenelle, a sister property, is only 66 euro in July
www.hotelbeaugralize.com or see www.parishotels.com

That's just a couple examples, but 79 euro for a double in July in a 1* hotel is very expensive. The 1* Hotel Port Royal is about the top of that category (and recommended often) and its a nice area and it's not even quite that expensive with bath; rooms without bath are even cheaper. www.portroyalhotel.fr.st

a 1* Hotel is more than just small rooms -- a lot of hotels have small rooms in Paris, actually, although it probably will be small. The 1* Hotel Tiquetonne in the 3rd is liked by a lot, and it's a lot cheaper than that (about 42 euro).
Mar 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Try the Hotel Theresa. On my trips I pay a little extra for central location and safety and ease of access. We paid 105 Euro a night. a bit cramped but its Europe and the good outway the bad.
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hi, I was looking at the Hotel Du Lion D'Or for our trip last fall. We eventually decided we wanted to stay in the Marais, just a personal choice - it was not because we had heard anything 'bad' about the Du Lion D'or. I thought the location looked very good, and did you get your rate directly from the hotel? The website I have for the hotel advertises a "classic" double for 68 Euros, the "standard" double is at 85 Euros (personally think that is too high a rate for budget 1 star accommodations.) I remember e-mailing the hotel to inquire about the difference between standard/classic, and I think it had to do with the location of the room (street side or side/back ?). They were very responsive in answering my inquiries. Here is the site I found the rate at: http://www.hotel-louvre-paris.com/index.html
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:12 PM

As a follow up - don't be misled by the looks of the link I gave you - it IS for the Hotel Du Lion D'or, even though it appears as if it is for Hotel Louvre. Good Luck!
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! Your advise/idea did help me a lot in searching for a budget hotel.
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Did you have any luck choosing/booking?
Mar 11th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Dear Margie, E85/room is too high for me. I have reserved a room at Hotel Tiquetonne and Hotel Port Royal via Hotel de France, but no one reply....
Mar 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Your plans are set and that is great, but I think you missed something on my post, Hotel Du Lion has two classes of doubles, a "classic" double for 68 Euros, the "standard" double is at 85. Yes 85 is too high for a budget proerty, but the 68 is reasonable for the location. Have fun on your trip and post a report when you return!
Mar 12th, 2004, 10:07 AM

www.venere.com allows you to search for avialable rooms by date and many of the properties can be booked with instant confirmation on-line. There are also reviews for most hotels by former guests.

I just picked an arbitrary date in July and there are literally dozens of 2-star hotels in your price range.

Bonne chance!
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Hello,
I found a budget hotel that is near the Gare de Lyon. I believe it is a commuter hotel, so it should be good. Contact Raphael via e-mail [email protected]. He knows English so you can e-mail in English.
Francine