paris hotel: Hotel du Danube

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM
chris

paris hotel: Hotel du Danube

I have hunted and hunted for somewhere to stay in Paris and everytime I find one that of course is perfect for the price, it is already booked for May. This one looked great on their web site. Has anyone stayed there recently? The last thread on this forum looked to be a few years old.
Thanks for any and all help

Mar 6th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Laurina

Hi, Chris!
You can see reviews for Paris hotels at www.france.com
Click on the St. Germain area icon, then scroll down to Hotel du Danube for reviews.
Have a great trip.

Mar 6th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Fred

Keeping in mind that we all have different tastes, here are a whole bunch of comments from people who have stayed there:
Hotel du Danube-
noisy, small rooms - not good..
rather drab
clean and quiet
fine for us
Rooms are rather big by American standards.
I did not like Danube
a little too shabby for shabby chic
the staff was not very helpful.
Rooms were small and dreary.
Lovely rooms
a nice small hotel
would recommend it.
good service
loved it-the best
It was clean, and bright.
found it very nice.
The concierge was very helpful
For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Mar 6th, 2002, 05:31 AM
kate

Hi chris-
I believe Fred gets his info from out of date guide books, being a travel agent, but I can say that I did stay at the Danube a couple of years ago and I liked it.It is on a great street,rue Jacob.Right in the heart of the Left Bank galleries,shopping,a block off of Blvd St Germain.The staff at the hotel is very good,helpful,friendly.The rooms are small as are most French hotel rooms, they are very comfortable, with antiques and very nice bathrooms, ours was all marble and modern..with a huge antique armoire for a closet,twin beds pushed together (which is common) a chandelier! and two big windows looking down over the courtyard.You can request a room on the courtyard, it will be quieter.
We stay somewhere more expensive now- on the same street but if the Danube fits your budget,there is nothing wrong with it.
Have a good trip.

Mar 6th, 2002, 05:57 AM
pj

Thank you Kate for your post!!! I am leaving for Paris 3/21 staying at Danube. We have the courtside apartment. I was a liitle concerned reading Fred's post! Well I will post my experiences when I get back. PJ

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:12 AM
k

Great, have a wonderful trip! The hotel cannot have changed so much since I was there, the area is so popular.Be sure to stroll the small streets in the neighborhood, browse along the Seine at the bouquiniste,maybe buy a poster,eat something from rue de Buci, sit on a chair in the Luxembourg Gardens and just soak in the atmosphere,have an ice cream at Berthillon and stroll rue St Louis en Ille, coming back over the little foot bridge,don't miss the small memorial by the back of Notre Dame,walk through the Louvre/Tuilleries in the dark and admire the view, while in the Louvre, look out a window and pretend you are the queen and live there! Ride the Metro,a bus,go to a flea market,a foodmarket, and antique shop,a fabric shop, how long did you say you would be there? Do write you report when you get back..

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Joy

I really SERIOUSLY considered booking at the Danube for our mid-June trip. I read great reviews about it and the people I talked to over the phone were really helpful and friendly plus the location was perfect. The only thing that they didn't have was AIR-CONDITIONING and for a June trip I didn't want the risk of being caught in a heat wave without the AC.

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
kate

Joy-I believe the Hotel de Universite has a/c. It is just a matter of a couple of blocks from the Danube, we considered staying there and I got brochuers from them.Was booked when I called! They seem to do the fashion crowd during the fall shows, when we always go~where did you end up getting reservations?

Mar 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
chris

thankyou Laurina for the tip to use the www.france.com site to check out hotels. Why didn't I think of that before. I am still waiting for confirmation on the du danube. Since my luck has been poor, does anyone have any other likes in the Marais. It sounds like a great place to stay. We last stayed on Rue Cler. Great street and location but the hotel Leveque was a bit minimalist for us.
Thanks

Mar 7th, 2002, 07:20 AM
BTilke

I haven't stayed there but I've walked by it many times and looked at the rooms once for someone considering staying there. If you like LOTS of prints, over the top chintz patterns, then you'll be fine. If you like more streamlined, modern style furnishings, then it won't be your kind of place at all. I would not stay there--the decor is much too fussy for me (and the rooms I checked out needed upgrading, especially the bathrooms). But the staff there were very helpful and courteous.

Oct 19th, 2002, 06:13 PM
topper

ttt