Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel favorites in Latin Quarter or Le Marais

Oct 20th, 2001, 06:51 PM
jds

We haven't been to Paris in several years and aren't sure if we'd still enjoy staying in the Latin Quarter. Differences between these two arrondissements? Any three-star hotel recommendations in either district? We'll be in the city for a few nights next month. Merci beaucoup!

Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:01 AM
Eugene

For La Marais, look into Grand Hotel Francais - a three-star hotel in the 11th district. My girlfriend and I spent three nights there back in April and we were more than satisfied. The value (price/quality) is exceptional and the hotel's staff is friendly and helpful. The metro is just a few feet away. The neighborhood itself is relatively quite ("non-touristy"), with a number of restaurants and small shops on every corner. E-mail me if you have any specific questions.

Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:41 AM
Surlok

I stayed at Hotel de la Bretonnerie, at Rue St. Croix de la Bretonnerie in the Marais. Very nice hotel, some rooms are larger, some are tiny, but all have a charming decor. The bathrooms were recently redone. All in all, a very nice hotel, in a splendid location. I didn't have breakfast there, but in a cafe around the corner. I like the Marais, it's a lovely district, but is not my favorite.

Another time, I stayed at Le Home Latin at Rue Sommerard, in the Latin Quarter. Not a bad hotel, but pretty basic. No drawers, or closets as such in the rooms, just doorless closets and some shelves. Very clean, though, cheap and comfortable.

Another time, I stayed at Hotel Luxembourg, on the border of the 6eme, a few steps from Bv. Saint Michel and Jardin de Luxembourg, at Rue Vaugirard. Nice hotel, and nice staff, except for a man at the reception desk. Otherwise, I enjoyed the hotel very much. Buffet breakfast was tasty and plentiful, and included in the rate.

My favorite hotels are in the 6eme, (also my favorite district). They are Hotel St. Germain de Pres, at Rue Bonaparte, at Hotel Dauphine ,and Hotel d'Aubusson, this a 4 stars, both at Rue Dauphine, and Hotel les Deux Continents, at Rue Jacob. D'Aubusson is the best (it's much more expensive, however), but both, St. Germain and Dauphine are very nice. Buffet breakfast at the Dauphine was included in my rate, but rooms were slightly better at St. Germain, and again, some very tiny, others larger.

They are all well located, close to the Seine and metro station (St. Germain). The Le Deux Continents is a good hotel, too, but the rooms didn't have AC when I stayed there, six years ago, and it was a hot summer. The Aubusson's owner has a 3 stars hotel at Rue Jacob, a lovely address, the Hotel Millesime, I've heard that is a lovely hotel, although I haaven't stayed there, and Rue Jacob is a great address.

My least favorite as district would be the 5eme, although lovely to stroll by. I prefer, though, to stay at the 6eme, since it's very central and a little quieter. If you walk West, you're at D'Orsay, and a little further, is Tour Eiffel, if you walk East, you're in the Latin Quarter, if you walk Northeast, you'll be at Notre Dame, and a little easter, in Ille de Saint Louis. If you head North, you'll reach the Louvre, and a little Northern, you'll be in the Marais. South, is Montparnasse.

I particularly enjoy the atmosphere of the 6eme. Since I often travel solo , it's in my view, the safest *quartier* for a woman traveling alone. I've always walked from the hotel in the evening to have dinner, or going to a nightclub, and although not as lively as the 5eme, everything was open, many pedestrians down the streets, and there're plenty of wonderful nice restaurants (Cafe de Flore and le Deux Magots are great for people watch) and jazz clubs within a block or two, besides many bookstores, boutiques, art galleries and antique shops to browse nearby.

Many Fodors' regulars prefer the 7eme and Rue Cler, but I'll let them to speak for themselves, what they surely will.

Otherwise, do a search typing Paris hotel or Rue Cler in the search box, and you'll surely find many posts about the subject.

Regards,

S

Nov 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Bob

I have stayed at the Hotel des Vosges,a small hotel (16 rooms or so) just off the Place of the same name in the Marais district. Friends stayed there this August and liked the location and service.

Nov 4th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Barb

I have stayed in the Marais at the Bretonnerie twice. The rooms are very different in size, colors and decor, so if you stay there, be specific about what you want. Rooms vary from suites to closet size. Last time we had a nice u-shaped suite with a double in 1 area and a small twin (perfect for a child) in the other end of the U. The rooms was done in rose, cream and beige and was quite pretty. My grown stepkids shared a closet sized room 1 night, then were moved when space became available to a room on the top floor that had charming dormer windows and wood beams with a lovely large bathroom. I think the room was blue, cream and yellow - it actually was a triple with a table and chairs as well. (Caution on the dormer room: if you are tall it won't work out for you as the beams are fairly low - worked great for us as we are short). The bathrooms are quite nice. Also, I do not recommend it in the summer as there is no air conditioning (not even a fan that they will lend to you) and if you hit a heat wave, as we did the last time,it is stifling. They have a charming cave type breakfast room, although we did not use it due to the heat last summer. Also the allow smoking in there and the heat combined with the smoke was more than we could handle. Since you are going in winter, it should be fine.

Nov 4th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Cindy

I will be staying at the Hotel de la Places des Vosges in December. I notice that Bob stayed there recently. Can you give anymore insight into the hotel? I have also stayed at the Hotel de la Bretonnerie, which I loved. I haven't been able to get a room, they are always booked. I also stayed at the Hotel Beaubourg (on a small street across from the Pompidou). It was basic, friendly service and central location.

Nov 5th, 2001, 02:47 AM
JOdy

Just returned from a stay at the Millesime, whicj surlok mentioned. It is a sister hotel to the 4 star D'saubuson. Our room was quite large, feshly decorated in pretty yellows and blue, nice lobby , big bathroom with tub , A/c, which we almost used it was so warm in Paris the last week in October! And a lovely vaulted breakfast room with very ample breakfast( not included in rate) there are several cafes nearby if you prefer to eat out.

I too prefer the 6th, the latin quarter is getting a little seedy for my taste, and the Marais is not within walking distance of most of the things i want to do, though it does have it's attractions./

Nov 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Surlok

Jds and Jody,

The Millesime and D' Aubusson as well have a special promotional rate for the Winter that does include breakfast and is discounted compared to high season rates.

S

Nov 5th, 2001, 11:27 AM
teddy

Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in Marais is very good too. Close to Place des Vosges

Nov 6th, 2001, 01:40 AM
paul

My favorite hotel is : Hotel Paris Odeon in Saint Germain des Pres area (Rue Monsieur le Prince) phone : (33) 1 46 33 31 69.
Great adress, lovely .

Nov 7th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Beth

Try the Hotel St Paul De Marais. It's small and family owned; lovely staff and a great location. I've stayed there each of the five times I've been to Paris.

Nov 7th, 2001, 01:31 PM
briggitte

I absolutely loved Le Grande Hotel Malher. very nice and clean rooms, in a cute area of marais. the people that work their are really helpful and nice and i enjoyed my time thoroughly.

Nov 8th, 2001, 08:41 AM
lizabeth

I stayed at the Hotel St. Paul (not the St. Paul-Marais described in an earlier message) on Rue Monsieur Le Prince in the 6th. Location was ideal - close to Blvd. St. Germaine and Blvd. St. Michel, but on a fairly quiet side street. My room at the back of the house was tiny but idyllic - high ceiling with exposed beams, big tree right outside the window. The neighborhood has lots of cafes frequented by students from the nearby universities and the Luxembourg Gardens are just two blocks away. I was glad I stayed in the 6th rather than the 5th arrondisment - the 6th has plenty of activity and convenience but is not as noisy or frantic.