Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel du Louvre, Caron de Beaumarchais, or Jeu de Paume?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 07:48 PM
David

I have narrowed down my hotel list slightly for my honeymoon in November. I still can't decide on whether to shell out the bucks for the Hotel du Louvre (which is very centrally located) or go for the more romantic Isle St. Louis area. I'm looking at two hotels there; the Caron de Beaumarchais and the Jeu de Paume. Can anyone give me any insight as to which would be better?

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 08:58 AM
Louis

The Caron de Beaumarchais is not on the Isle St. Louis. It is in the Marais district. If you want to stay on the island, Hotel du Jeu de Paume is a good choice. However, the Hotel du Louvre may be a better place to stay if the weather turns cold in November. You will have less outdoor walking to get to the Metro and the museums nearby.

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 12:13 PM
Carol

Hi David--I've stayed at Hotel du Louvre--it's a big elegant and charming hotel in a terrific location but, as with all big hotels, it's kind of impersonal. On the other hand, Caron de Beaumarchais is a small intimate, highly personal place and undoubtedly more romantic as a place to stay--but it's not nearly as central as du Louvre (although it's not what you'd call out of the way). Your choice depends on your priorities. Paris is so romantic itself it's hard to go wrong. I'd also recommend trying one of my favorite hotels in Paris Hotel d'Angleterre. It's in a lovely area on the border of the 6th/7th arrondissments and within your price range. Get a hold of Fodor's Rivages guide to Paris hotels in Barnes & Noble, it has pictures which will be very helpful.

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 12:14 PM
Carol

Hi David--I've stayed at Hotel du Louvre--it's a big elegant and charming hotel in a terrific location but, as with all big hotels, it's kind of impersonal. On the other hand, Caron de Beaumarchais is a small intimate, highly personal place and undoubtedly more romantic as a place to stay--but it's not nearly as central as du Louvre (although it's not what you'd call out of the way). Your choice depends on your priorities. Paris is so romantic itself it's hard to go wrong. I'd also recommend trying one of my favorite hotels in Paris Hotel d'Angleterre. It's in a lovely area on the border of the 6th/7th arrondissments and within your price range. Get a hold of Fodor's Rivages guide to Paris hotels in Barnes & Noble, it has pictures which will be very helpful.

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 06:30 PM
Donna

I would go for the Hotel du Louvre if it were my honeymoon. The location is spectacular (especially, as mentioned above, considering the November weather). From here, there are so many places within walking distance (including the must see Musee d'Orsay, with is not the most convenient place to get to by public transportation). Also, lots of bus routes go by and taking the buses is a terrific way to see Paris (and for getting around) when it's too chilly (or you're too tired) to walk all over. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous with a really romantic cocktail lounge (well worth a visit, even if you don't stay there). The metro stop is really close by, and there is wonderful "street entertainment" in the square in front of the hotel. We loved this area.