Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotel Confusion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-confusion-630101/)

sgiord Jul 11th, 2006 08:56 AM

Paris Hotel Confusion

I have become completely overwhelmed in chosing a hotel in Paris. I've read the posts and made notes, but can't figure out what to do. I guess I am worried about making the wrong decision.

I would really appreciate some help, if you all aren't sick to death of hotel questions.

Here are the details. My husband and I will arrive in Paris on Sept 13th and will leave on the 18th (5 nights). We would like some place nice, convenient to sites,restaurants, metro, etc but not too noisy. We are not on a tight budget, and could spend up to 250 euros(?),if we had to. I guess if we really had to we could spend more. Of course, some place great for less would be better.

Thanks a bunch,
Sue

Seamus Jul 11th, 2006 09:20 AM

Its is easy to get overwhelmed given the huge number of options, even moreso when reading the varying and often strongly held opinions here.
A couple suggestions that may help:
1. Choose a few hotels that are likely candidates and ask for specific feedback on those propoerties.
2. There are sites of potential interest to tourists literally all over Paris, so no single place is close to them all. If you can prioritize what you want to be near that will help narrow your list. Public transport makes it easy to get around, so don't worry too much about this.
3. Is this your first time to Paris or a return visit?
4. Do you prefer a place with local flavor/"charm" and the oddities that often accompany that, or a chain type hotel with few surprises?
Hope this helps.

pavfec Jul 11th, 2006 09:22 AM

In your situation, my first stop would be TripAdvisor. I find it helps me to read reviews of hotels by people who actually stayed there. It's going to take some research, but you'll get an idea of which hotels look interesting and are worth considering.

Underhill Jul 11th, 2006 09:27 AM

Get your hotel reservation ASAP: September is high season in Paris, and many of the favorite hotels will be full already.

You could try the Ste-Beuve, near the Luxembourg Gardens, and the
lastminute.com site might offer good possibilities.

Good luck!

Michel_Paris Jul 11th, 2006 09:29 AM

As a swag...I'd look for hotels in the 4 (Marais)/5 &6 (Left bank)/7th (Eiffel Tower) arrondissements. In these areas you can walk to a lot of the tourist sites. I likes staying on Ile St Louis...Lutece, Deux Iles are a couple to check out. If you search on this site you will find MANY recommendations, also look at the Fodor guide. Bonaparte, Levesque and Madison are a couple of others recommended here.

Stick with what you read at this site and I don't think you will go wrong.

Mike

dfr4848 Jul 11th, 2006 09:32 AM

We very much enjoyed the Hotel Galileo on our last trip. Small and very quiet - great staff. Nice sized rooms and baths. Very convenient. Only few blocks from the Arc d'Triomph and the Champs. Also easy access to public transit. As I recall we paid less than 200E.

Also, check out their sister hotel, Hotel Des Deux-Iles which is a few blocks from Notre Dame. Friends of ours who have stayed there rave about it.

suze Jul 11th, 2006 09:40 AM

My suggestion is to pick just one or two arrondisement you wish to stay in, and only look at those hotels. Trying to figure out one hotel in all of greater Paris is overwhelming and not necessary to find a good place.

I would suggest the 6th or 7th (maybe the 5th but the Latin Quarter can be noisy).

You can tell the arrondisement by last two numbers of the hotel's postal code. On a map of Paris you'll see the arrondisements spiral like a snail, going up in numbers, outward from the center (maybe you know this already).

Then I'd read Trip Advisor reviews for maybe 3 or 4 hotels you've narrowed it down too. And post those few names back here on Fodor's also.

guaranteed Jul 11th, 2006 09:42 AM

Initially, I thought 250 euros would get you a 4 or 5 star,in mid Sept.

I thought that, because we are going to Paris this coming weekend, and are booked into a good 3 star for 100 euros.

I didn't know that Paris Hotels were that expensive in mid Sept.
Find a place soon, or go elsewhere for mid Sept.,

G

Underhill Jul 11th, 2006 09:56 AM

Some Paris hotels up their rates during September and October because of all the shows: supply and demand really kicks in. The higher rates seem to be true of the CDG hotels as well.

oberost Jul 11th, 2006 10:08 AM

My wife and I have stayed at Le Sainte Beauve (as suggested above).. very nice, "botique" hotel which would meet all of your needs.

julia_t Jul 11th, 2006 10:35 AM

TripAdvisor is a very useful resource, but until I 'discovered' Fodors I didn't even know they existed. (And that sounds like an old Smirnoff Vodka advert!!)

I have never actually used TripAdvisor either. Last spring/summer I relied totally on what posters here advised. I read thread after thread, decided what district/arondissement I would prefer to stay in, and searched and read some more, and eventually came to a decision as to the best hotel for my budget (which incidentally was half of yours!) - I think the larger budget you have the easier it is to find hotels to fit...

Personally I like the Latin Quarter (5th - stayed there 3 times now) but have also stayed in the 1st just off Rue de Rivoli ((Hotel Residence la Concorde) and in Montmartre (c**p hotel but VERY cheap!)

So I think what I am trying to say is while I understand your confusion, the wider you search the more confused you may find yourself. Narrow your search to one place - HERE on Fodors - and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck, and don't forget to post a trip report!

BoulderCO Jul 11th, 2006 11:05 AM

I recommend Villa D' Estrees in the Latin Quarter. We stayed there last year and are heading there again in September. Very nice, large rooms and helpful staff. Located on a quiet sidestreet within walking distance of Notre Dame, Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, not too mention countless restaurants, shops, and cafes. Metro stop is half a block away. Price is just under 250 Euros. Website is www.paris-hotel-latin-quarter.com/

ira Jul 11th, 2006 11:16 AM

Hi Sg,

>We would like some place nice, convenient to sites,restaurants, metro, etc but not too noisy. <

If you don't mind spending less than 200E/night, We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-l95uyr

((I))

sgiord Jul 11th, 2006 12:27 PM

Anyone every heard of the Residence des Arts 14, rue Gît-le-Coeur in the 6th? It is a sister hotel to the Villa de Estrees (does not have anything available even in the high end of my price range. They have 2 rooms available and an internet rate of 165 euros. Each room has a separate kitchenette area.

BoulderCO Jul 11th, 2006 12:52 PM

I believe the Residence des Arts is right across the street from Villa D'Estrees so shares the same great location. We didn't see the rooms there but one of the employees mentioned that the owner of both properties was trying to raise the money to update the rooms in Residence des Arts similar to what he had done in Villa D'Estrees. So this suggests that the rooms are not as nice but of course the lower price reflects that. We did talk to a couple people who were staying there and they seemed to be quite happy with their accomodations.

MaureenB Jul 11th, 2006 01:49 PM

I think it can be helpful to begin by choosing the arrondisement you think you'd like best, or the view you'd want to have the most. Because there are so many hotels in Paris! When we went last May for the first time, I was set on getting a view of the Eiffel Tower from my hotel room balcony. It wasn't easy, staying around $225/night, but we enjoyed the Hotel de la Bourdonnais, in the 7th. We had a full on view, up a pretty tree-lined boulevard, of the Eiffel Tower, from our little balcony (room 503?). It was amazing at night, twinkling.
We wanted the 7th for its more quiet, upscale and residential feel. It was perfect for us-- a family of four, with two older teens.

Here's part of my trip report:
"Stayed at Hotel la Bourdonnais, in the 7th and liked it very much. Nice-sized quad room for our family, with A/C and a lift. GREAT view of the Eiffel Tower from our little balcony. Friendly front desk, too. Offered a simple breakfast buffet, but we chose to visit Rue Cler in the mornings, for coffee, croissants, crepes and fresh fruit. A nice market next door to the hotel was handy, too. Metro stop on the corner, Batobus stop close by, too, at the Eiffel Tower. Even an ATM machine at the corner bank. Loved the location and the upscale neighborhood. An easy walk through the Champs de Mars to the Eiffel Tower. The other end of the park was Les Invalides."

djkbooks Jul 11th, 2006 02:06 PM

http://www.regent-paris-hotel.com/

zooey91 Jul 11th, 2006 02:26 PM

I would second the suggestion for Ile Saint-Louis. We've stayed at the Hotel Des Deux Iles a couple of times.

http://www.deuxiles-paris-hotel.com/

We loved the location of this small island: in the middle of the river, close to the latin quarter, Notre Dame, Le Marais, the Bastille, several metro stops, a couple of Batobus stops.

http://www.batobus.com/bateaux-crois...ris-seine.html

Things are very quiet during the week; the island is popular on the weekend, but it quiets down at night.

The hotel was affordable and nice, with typically small Parisian rooms.

Dave_in_Paris Jul 11th, 2006 08:42 PM

Recently stayed at the Lutece on the Isle St. Louis. It was remodeled top to bottom quite recently and is a very, very nice hotel. Small room, but well organized with lots of closet space and a good-size bathroom. Fine decor. Impressive front desk. Friendly wait staff in the breakfast room. We did not use the air conditioning, and slept with the window open on the 5th floor. Some street noise (loud pedesrians) around 5 a.m. and I expect this is typical. I doubt it would be a problem with the window closed. Would definitely stay again.

mariacallas Jul 12th, 2006 04:20 AM

I can highly recommend the hotel Millesime. Patricia Well's also recommends it on her website. My daughter and I stayed there and loved it.

MC