Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotel Choice - WOW (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-choice-wow-427893/)

newmanparker Sep 5th, 2008 05:25 PM

Paris Hotel Choice - WOW

My wife and I are planning a trip to paris in 2009. I usually look at tripadvisor.com to see what others think of the hotels. With 2000 hotels, it can be a mind bending experience deciding.

We would spend up to 350 Euro for a room.

I have narrowed down to: Hotel Duret or Kepler (champs area) or the Lumen (Louvre).

It appears that many hotels are in the Champs area. Is that "the" area to stay in? My last trip to Paris, we visited that area one evening, and that was all.

Any help on recommendations would be appreciated.

nytraveler Sep 5th, 2008 05:39 PM

There are a lot of hotels near the Champs - since that's what tourists know. Not necessarily the best choice for hotels - depending on what you want to see/do, how long you will be there and what type of atmosphere you want.

Don;t know either of those hotels so can't comment.

newmanparker Sep 5th, 2008 05:44 PM

We will be staying for 6 nights, and since my wife has never been to Paris, we want to visit the major sites and museums. Shopping is not a major player in this trip.

tuscanlifeedit Sep 5th, 2008 05:49 PM

Alright, I'll jump in. I don't think the Champs is the area to stay in.

There are many lovier parts of Paris, with better restaurants, more charm, and nice hotels, too.

My personal favorite areas are the area where the 6th and 7th meet, not too far south.

We have stayed in the 7th a few times and enjoyed it very much, but I don't like to be west of Invalides.

We have also stayed in 4th a few times and like that, too, but I think it kind of depends on what you are looking for.

There are a huge number of hotel recommendations in Paris on this board. Put Paris Hotels in search box, and maybe cross reference those with tripadvisor.com.

I have seen tons of places mentioned here that I would go for if my budget could go above 200 Euro.

None of them were in the Champs area, by the way.

I have experience with clients who have stayed at the K&K Cayre and were very pleased. Quite a nice hotel, with high ratings on tripadvisor.

For September '09, they are showing a double at 310. I would go for it in a minute.

tuscanlifeedit Sep 5th, 2008 05:52 PM

Just looked at the Duret; way too far out for me. Again, that's me but for the money, I think you can do better on location.

julia1 Sep 5th, 2008 08:26 PM

Have stayed a number of times at the Grand Hotel Saint Michel on rue Cujas in the Latin Quarter (5th). One block off Blvd St-Michel, very near the Sorbonne, Pantheon. A few minutes walk from many good restaurants in St-Germain and Latin Quarter, also near rue Mouffetard market. Easy walk to Notre Dame & Ste-Chapelle. There's nothing 'grand' about it, but it's a nice little hotel with a great location, helpful staff, the breakfast room in a 'crypt' beneath reception. My husband and I were there in February a couple years ago and it was a warm, cozy, and romantic place to stay.

There are many hotels in the Champs de Mars area. Nearby is rue Cler ( and neighboring side streets) where there are a number of hotels popular with Rick Steves' fans.

HistoricMarker Sep 5th, 2008 08:42 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Duret in late September 2006. We thoroughly enjoyed the hotel as we like the small boutique-style hotels. When we return to Paris in 2009 we will stay there again. With regards to location, it is a 5 minute walk to the Argentine Metro station which will take you to the Louvre in 10 minutes. No,it is not as centrally located as other hotels preferred by many Fodorites, but the trade-off is that you are in more of a residential/commercial neighborhood frequented by Parisians.

bozama Sep 5th, 2008 10:03 PM

I would not choose to stay in the Champs Elysees area at all.

It is not really considered the area to stay in by me, I hate shopping, and other then the Arc Du Triomphe there is nothing particulariy thrilling about the area. Unless you like overpriced cafes I mean,,LOL

I would, and do, choose the 6th, 5th, 4th, or 1st or 7th , in that order.

Look at Hotel Aubusson, it was on the same street I stayed on two years ago, it was more then I wanted to pay, but it looked so nice,, sigh. It is in a great area. Quiet, but within blocks of so much to see and do.

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 04:07 AM

We had considered the 6th since it seems like it has more quaint buildings, restaurants, etc.

Does anyone know the Hotel Luxembourg Parc? It is rated #1 on tripadvisor.

It is near the Sorbonne... Is that too "out of the way" .... thanks

kvfawcett Sep 6th, 2008 04:10 AM

I prefer the Left Bank but am the first to admit there are Left Bank versus Right Bank people Have you considered L'Abbaye? It's a charming hotel and there are so many others!

Gretchen Sep 6th, 2008 04:23 AM

The Champs is a sterile part of Paris to me. Go to see the Arc, ride the bus that runs the entire length and then find a charming hotel (for your money) in a charming part of Paris. I would recommend you look at how close you are to a Metro or bus stop also when you choose. Paris is fun to walk but it is also a wonderful city for its transportation to the further reaches.

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 04:36 AM

Does anyone know of the Hotel Bellechasse, close to the D'Orsay museum?

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 04:43 AM

Just wondering if I am thinking too much about a hotel. With a city like Paris, you arent in the room a lot.

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 04:54 AM

Hotel Grand Hommes next to Pantheon has good reviews and rates. Anyone know of this one?

ira Sep 6th, 2008 05:18 AM

Hi N,

Go to www.viamichelin.com or www.maps.google.com

Plot the distance from whatever hotel you choose to Place Hotel de Ville.

The Hotel Luxembourg Parc is nicely located near the entrance to the Luxembourg gardens, not far from a metro stop, near the St. Sulpice.

It is a much better location than being on the Champs.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

paris1953 Sep 6th, 2008 05:36 AM

"Does anyone know of the Hotel Bellechasse, close to the D'Orsay museum? "...
We are staying there next week. Will let you know how it goes. We are expecting it to be quite a unique experience based on the decor.

StCirq Sep 6th, 2008 07:20 AM

The Champs area is about the last place in Paris I'd choose to stay. Apart from the Champs Elysées itself, which is just a famous, wide boulevard stocked with American-style chain stores and car dealerships, it's a pretty boring, sterile part of a beautiful, vibrant city. I would never call it "the" area to stay in at all.

Paris is, IMO, one of the best cities in the world to find affordable, nice hotel accommodations. With your budget of 350 euros a night, you have a wealth of choices. I won't even offer mine, because I don't pay even half that for my hotels in Paris, but I think you should be looking in the 4ème, 6ème, 7ème, and possibly 5ème arrondissements if you want a nice hotel in a fun area of the city.

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 08:08 AM

Looks like it won't be the Champs area.... thanks everyone!

newmanparker Sep 6th, 2008 08:35 AM

Any opinion to staying in the 1st. It seems central, and easy to get to everything.

Fodorite018 Sep 6th, 2008 09:09 AM

We stayed in the 1st last summer and loved it. Have also stayed in the 7th and 14th as well. In the 1st, we were at the Hotel Britannique which was excellent!