Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Hotel Choice------HELP !! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-hotel-choice-help-124002/)

ezron May 14th, 2001 06:40 PM

Paris Hotel Choice------HELP !!

We've got a choice between the Claude Bernard at $160/nt, the Pont Royal at $230/nt and possibly the Millesime at 165/nt. The first two say they have rooms and the Millesime says we are at the top of their waiting list. Which is the best value, which is in the most charming neighborhood???Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

sandy May 14th, 2001 07:42 PM

To the top

sandy May 14th, 2001 10:28 PM

again

bobo May 15th, 2001 05:02 AM

here is some help ezron

bobo May 15th, 2001 08:44 AM

I need this also--so to the top

carol May 15th, 2001 09:26 AM

I don't know the Pont Royal at all. The Claude Bernard is in the heart of the Latin Quarter (5th arr.), the Millesime is on the Rue Jacob in St. Germain. I love the Rue Jacob, it's got lots of galleries, antique stores and boutiques--a block or two from the Seine and the Blvd. St. Germain--the area is sophisticated and charming and it would be my personal choice over the location of the Claude Bernard in the 5th arr.

gail May 15th, 2001 11:39 AM

There's an excellent article in the March 2001 National Geographic Traveler regarding "22 great Paris hotels for $100 or less" complete with photos of hotels, descriptions of the neighborhoods, pros and cons of renting rooms in each, the best rooms to ask for, etc. I would think it would be helpful in a general way even if you're only interested in the two hotels you mentioned.

Christina May 15th, 2001 03:28 PM

This is purely subjective, but I would like the location of Millesime best, then Pont Royal and last Claude Bernard. The Claude Bernard is just on a busy big street and kind of up on a slightly hilly area and I just don't find anything much around it I like (okay, one good restaurant) and I don't like hiking up and down that hill to the Seine, etc. It's not a huge hill, but I just don't like it. I don't need which would be best value, I would be hard-pressed to spend $70 more a night for a hotel room myself, if it's the same size room, but if that is not tons of money to you, it's possible the hotel is a whole lot nicer, I just don't know. The Claude Bernard never used to be that expensive, I didn't think, nothing special, but maybe they've upgraded their decor and furniture. That is a very high rate for that hotel from what I've seen, it's rates for doubles are usually around 900-1000F. Based on no personal experience, I would not pay $160 for a room there unless you're getting a quad from what I've seen and heard about it. That must be std rate for Pont Royal but superior room for the Millesime, so I would prefer latter. I would choose another hotel at that rate than Claude Bernard, myself.

JOdy May 15th, 2001 03:36 PM

I have just booked a superior room for Oct. at Millesime, We love the 6th and also Rue Jacob. Check their website it gives a great room description and various rates. i have heard the regular rooms are small bt it looks charming. we have always stayed at the d;Angletere but it is getting a little tired! Our superior twin was 1100 FF per night , my husband is 6'^' and there is no way I am sharing a regular bed with him after 40 years!!!!!!King okay regular NO

Gail May 15th, 2001 06:29 PM

We got all our hotel information from www.anamericaninparis.com I'm pretty sure those hotels are reviewed there.

BTilke May 15th, 2001 11:07 PM

Ezron, please see my post, New 4* Hotel in Paris, on the Hotel Luxembourg Parc. It's in your price range and is in an excellent neighborhood. <BR>BTilke

ezron May 16th, 2001 06:28 AM

BTilke-----Merci beaucoup !!

geosf May 16th, 2001 07:02 AM

Dittos on the positive comments on the Millisime-we stayed there last Oct for two weeks. friendly staff, short walk to St. G. metro, Louvre,etc-we'll be there again next spring.bonne chance

margaret May 18th, 2001 08:35 AM

I just posted a reply to another topic but feel compelled to answer you as well. I am not an employee of the following! but rec'd such great value I want to pass the info along. Try looking into this site www.accomline.com. They have great rates on excellent hotels. They are an Australian company but I recd very good service and my hotel (I just returned from Paris last week) ended up costing me $400 less then booking directly with the hotel! Also, in 1999 I stayed a week at the Claude Bernard. It was OK - not a rave. Nice staff, dowdy room, too busy/noisy/diesel smelly street. I liked the location in the 5th but stay in the 6th if you can.

Karen Jul 15th, 2001 11:49 PM

Jody, I am looking for the website for the Hotel Millesime. You mentioned that you are staying there in October. That's when I need it also. DO you have any more info? Thanks.