Paris-Hotel Alize Grenelle in the 7th

Mar 6th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Kimberly

Paris-Hotel Alize Grenelle in the 7th

My husband and I will be in Paris next month (4/12-4/16). We have reserved a room at the Hotel Alize Grenelle in the 7th. Can anyone provide feedback on this hotel and staying in the 7th? What is the best way to get to and from the airport for two people to the 7th?

Also, will a lot of restaurants and tourist sites be closed on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday?

Thanks - Kimberly

Mar 6th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Ursula

Kimberley: You can see the web site:
www.1sthotel-eiffeltower.com

I hope you have a room to the back. Avenue Emile Zola is quite a busy street in the 15th.
For further infos about opening hours and general information, I would go to
www.parisavenue.com
www.paris-touristoffice.com
www.timeout.com
On Easter, *everybody* goes to Paris. It's an ideal place to go within Europe for a couple of days. Most people are off here. So we go. Business will be as usual concerning the restaurants. Museums are open but will be packed. Good Friday shops, etc. are open. The 7th is a good location. Typical for Paris, not as touristy as St. Germain and Quartier Latin. You might discover a lot of typical things like the little bakery or grocery store next door.
I would definitely not try to change the hotel as you *have* a room over Easter in Paris. Congratulation!
As for transportation, there are shuttles from CDG and Orly downtown. From Orly taxi for two is ok. But traffic might be heavy even direction downton. From CDG (much further out of town) I would take shuttle and then taxi. Enjoy it!

Mar 6th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Christina

Kimberly, not sure if you got this, I think Ursula presumed you were asking about a diff. hotel, but that hotel is NOT in the 7th, it is in the 15th arr. near the Charles Michel metro stop. I stayed a few blocks from there one summer in an apt. It's not touristy, typical middle-class Parisian residential. Lots of nice food shops and a few restaurants on rue St-Charles going south (bakeries, cheese, everything), and there is a large Monoprix right at place Charles Michel (discount general store and supermarket, sort of like Target but a little better), and there are some movie theaters near there. I just posted info on restaurants in this area recently for somewhere who was staying there (perhaps you same hotel), so you can find that with a search probably. The best way to get there is by taxi IMO, otherwise you can reserve a van shuttle which would be a little cheaper, but not a lot (www.paris-anglo.com/clients/ashuttle). YOu can see hotel comments on www.hotelboulevard.com and www.paris.org/Hotels

Mar 7th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Ursula

Christina:
You're right. I mentioned that it is in the *15th* arr. But then
was wrong when writing that the 7th was a good location. I meant of course the 15th.

Mar 7th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Ursula

... the 7th is of course even more upscale, but a bit dead and very "bourgeois" and more expensive than the 15th.

(English is not that easy, but still easier than French.)

Mar 8th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Kimberly

Thanks for the information and the correction on the location of the hotel.

Can anyone tell me about restaurants in the 15th?

Mar 8th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Ursula

Kimberley: For first inputs go to:

www.parisavenue.com
www.paris-touristoffice.com

They have links for restaurants. You can choose by area, price, type of cuisine. In the 15th you should find some good bistrots that are not too touristic or tourist traps. I am not so familiar around Emile-Zola area.
Maybe somebody else can give you ideas. But the sites are interesting to get first inputs.

Mar 8th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Ursula

Kim: Did some reserarch for you and myself:
A place I've read about which seems to be quite hip is "Bermuda Onion", 16, Rue Linois, 15th, close to "your" M?tro station.
Count with FF 250.--.
I might go there myself in May when in Paris.
It's French cuisine despite its name with view on the Seine.
Any input to that place from somebody else??

Mar 8th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Christina

Ursula, that is a "hip" restaurant, that's for sure. I have not eaten there but it is trendy and for young people; the waitresses dress in skimpy, provocative clothing, that is part of the restaurant's "style" and what they are known for. It is not the kind of place I would go alone as a single woman (but I don't like those kind of places that are trying to be too cool and use sex, I think it is immature, but that's just me), although I'm sure you could--just seems more like the kind of place you'd go as a couple or group. I have read the food is adequate to good. One advantage is that it is on the Seine and has a good view and terrace. I don't know if you know who Monica Lewinsky is (girl who had affair with our ex-President, I really like Bill Clinton but he has very bad taste in paramours) but it's where she wanted to go when she was in Paris, and did, and got lots of photos and publicity. Enough said. It might be fun to go to that restaurant with someone, and a Seine view with terrace is unusual. I already gave advice on several very good restaurants around that area in previous post on that hotel just a week or so ago which is why I suggested searching for it; as I just tried that search, I found out that post was also from Kimberly so she has my best ideas on all the questions she has asked here again. That is not a popular tourist area of Paris so I suspect not many more people will know restaurants in that area.