Reload this Page >

Shoes for Rome/London walking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Bellarose

I've read the posts about tourists and tennies. For sightseeing in Rome and London, would a pair of Clark's "slides" be okay. They are very comfortable for walking around home, but when I do my daily 60 min "exercise walk," I do wear cross trainers. So, I'm debating whether to buy some other kind of shoes. Thanks, Sandy

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wear what ever is most comfortable, you will walk for miles and nobody will bother with what you are wearing on your feet. I was told people 'dress up' in Rome, but I didn't find it any different to any other city.<BR>Have fun.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Try wearing your shoes before the trip for an equivalent time-frame, eg, 6-8 hours walking in one day. My feet ache in even my most comfortable dressy shoes with this amount of walking. Easy Spirit (and many others) have athletic shoes in solid black or beige, which don't look like running shoes.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:45 AM

I absolutely agree with pakitty. The only way to know is to try them out for the same amount of time (and walking)! There were several pairs of my &quot;comfortable&quot; shoes that I tested out this way before my trip to Switzerland and Paris and they all started rubbing after a few hours.<BR><BR>I did find a pair of Eccos,however, that worked beautifully. But shoes are very personal, and you need to find what works for you.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Wear a pair of well broke-in shoes that are the most comfortable you have!! Please no white sneaker but black sneakers are fine. Take some good foot rub for the end of the day, something like Badger Foot Balm. It will have your feet ready to go again the next morning.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Sandy - shoes were a major concern of mine for my first European trip two years ago. Not being a tennis shoe person, other than for walking, I wasn't sure what to wear. After considerable research here and on other sites, as well as emailed recommendations from some on this site, I settled on the black suede Ecco Soft V shoes. They're a nicer casual shoe, much more lightweight and comfortable than tennis', IMHO, and require NO breaking in time whatsoever. And since they lace up, they allow for expansion should your feet swell on the plane or at the end of a long day of walking.<BR><BR>Melissa
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 08:41 AM

I spent a week in London before Christmas and walked for miles in my Easy Spirit's (which incidentally I bought on a trip to the USA). They were light weight leather lace ups and I didn't have so much as a blister. One tip is to get a day travel pass from any tube staion which you can use on tubes and buses. For example Oxford street is very long and the traffic moves very slowly. As a lot of the buses are the open backed kind you can hop on and off all the way down the road as you see something you find interesting and it saved me a lot of walking. Also get a good free map from a tube or rail station which shows all the bus and tube routes and which buses stop where. They can be invaluable.<BR>Hope you enjoy the UK and welcome.<BR>CM
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:51 AM

My best tip is bring TWO of your favorite pairs of walking shoes. Assuming you wear one pair on the plane, you only need to pack one other pair, and since I've started doing this my feet are in MUCH, much better shape on day 2, 3, 4 etc. of the trip. We're often out all day, and then return to the hotel to drop things off before dinner. It's SO nice to be able to change into other comfortable shoes - as yet even the most comfortable ones I've found do tend to hurt in places after 8 hours of walking, and putting new ones on is such a relief.<BR><BR>The most comfortable shoes I have ever tried on - BY FAR - are by Samsonite. Unfortunately, I think they only sell retail in London.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:00 AM
mm

In the USA I love Rockport Walkers. Light, sturdy, decent looking.<BR><BR>MM
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM
aj

Bellarose,<BR><BR>First of all I have really &quot;Flat Feet&quot; and they hurt if I do much walking. I have tried many kinds of &quot;walking shoes&quot; but SAS makes a wonderful &quot;trainer&quot; type shoe in nubuck black and brown leather. Maybe not the best looking with a dress but my last two trips to Europe have been without foot pain which is worth the less than lovely fashion statement!!!
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Can I just say that NO ONE CARES!!!! Wear what you feel comfortable in! I never wore shorts or jeans in Rome but mostly always wore my Nike sneakers for walking the city, and guess what??? No one cared! That's right. So for all of you egocentrics who think everybody in Rome is staring at your footwear, sorry to say they could care less about you. Stop worrying about what others think of your style and enjoy the fact that you are lucky enough to be walking on the ground that Roman Emperors walked on. Please, don't waste the money you spent to be in beautiful Italy on worrying whether your shoes fit in...nobody cares!