Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris:HELP needed with eating out information.We have three small children,2,4 and 7.Are we doomed to baguettes in the park or are there child friendly alternatives?

Search

Paris:HELP needed with eating out information.We have three small children,2,4 and 7.Are we doomed to baguettes in the park or are there child friendly alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Among the major chain restaurants, Hippopotamus (steakhouse), Léon de Bruxelles (seafood) and Buffalo Grill (steakhouse) are the big three for children's menus, coloring books and all that kind of stuff. However, most neighborhood restaurants are quite child friendly if the little ones are not monsters.
If you find yourself obliged to do the McDonald's stuff from time to time, you should know that the other big hamburger chain 'Quick' also has the Happy Meal type stuff.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:52 AM
tod

If you are talking about eating in a restaurant/Bistro/cafe` at lunchtime or early evening there are many establishments (except posh restuarants) that also have sidewalk seating.
This gives you a little more freedom if the children niggle, giggle or speak loudly, which is very irritating for other diners trying to have a quiet conversation and enjoy their food.
You will be welcome just about anywhere if they are well mannered and don't run around. At 2 & 4 that could be a challenge for any parent!
Instead of stressing I would go with Kerouac's suggestions especially Leon de Bruxelles which is very enjoyable.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:00 AM

Creperies are generally kid-friendly, and many stay open throughout the afternoon and early evening. That can be a lifesaver when your little ones start getting hungry and cranky before the traditional French restaurants start serving around 8 pm.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:48 AM

There was a thread from a few years ago about soup-salad-sandwich places that might be helpful; I'll see if I can find it. I will also be traveling with a small person, and I'm hoping the places mentioned in that thread are still in business.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:53 AM

French people often take their children to restaurants.

I notice a difference between how most French families behave and many Irish families do. The children are engaged with the adult generation, and are not given the freedom of the restaurant. If your children are used to sitting with you through a meal, then you will be welcome and comfortable anywhere.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM

Try to eat your main meal at lunch time and it'll work out much easier.
We've found that places that open earlier for dinner are more child friendly and places that open at 8 rarely serve before 8.30pm so that would probably be too late for your three little ones anyway.
Chinese restaurants, pizzerias and creperies are generally kid friendly.

Where are you staying?
Perhaps someone could recommend places to eat in that neighborhood.
We stayed in the Montparnasse area last summer and can recommend Porte du Bonheur on Rue du Maine. It's a Chinese restaurant and the food was very good, inexpensive and we ate with 2 or 3 other families around 7pm one night.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:28 AM

I don't understand why everybody talks about restaurants opening at 8 in the evening. Although there are not many diners before 8 p.m. (except in tourist zones), just about every restaurant is open for dinner by 7 p.m. Not to mention all of the big brasseries that advertise "service non-stop".
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM

Of course you're right about the big brasseries, and I suppose technically it's true that some restaurants are open at 7. But after living in Paris for quite a few years I can't think of many restaurants I'd want to eat dinner in, where you wouldn't be considered a major oddball if you showed up for dinner at 7. You might get away with 7:30, but even then you'd probably be the first customer of the evening...and then suddenly at 8 everybody else would start pouring in. N'est-ce pas?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM

Oui!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM

And that is precisely why it is good to go to a restaurant before 8 p.m.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM

LOL- my fondest memories of Paris include baguettes in the park!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM

I have to agree with LilyLace. Using "doomed" with having baquettes in the park seems very odd to me.
Doing a picnic in the park solves an awful lot of the problems you seem to fear (and rightfully so), starting with not having to worry about a cranky kid wanting to run off a bit of excess energy.
And even as an adult, I'd take a nice baquette purchased at a decent place over any food you get at Hippopotamus any day. I made the mistake of trying that place only once.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM

Do you take your children out to regular restaurants (meaning not McDonalds, Ground Round, etc.) at home? If so, how do they behave? If they are well behaved and sit through a meal without wreaking havoc on the place at home, they will be fine in Paris also. Use the same guidelines you use in choosing a restaurant at home.

Obviously nice quiet candle lit romantic dinners are probably out of the question (unless you children are REALLY well behaved - or tranquilized ) as are long 5 course meals with a nice cheese course, dessert and cafe au lait. However I don't think you have to limit to chain restaurants geared towards kids or picnicking either - though don't knock the fabulous Parisian picnic in the park. Some of my favorite meals were picnics in the park with my wife before we had children. You will be fine in just about any casual cafe, bisto or brasserie as long as the children are reasonably well behaved. And eating earlier is a good idea since you will probably get faster service and be able to be on your way before the natives start to get restless.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM

thanks from another poster about all the thoughts -- we, too, are traveling with kids, although ours will be a 5 and 6 year old.

The nice thing about this age is that they are engaged by coloring, journaling (6yo), drawing, and practicing letters (5yo). And, since we are one-on-one since Daddy is coming, it should be easier.

Having said that, any recommendations around the Palais Royal area ? (kerouac, please note correct spelling ) We will probably eat close to our apartment (rue de Richelieu) since they go to bed early (8ish) and will be dog-tired.

We would like to stick with small bistros with simple food. thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM

Surfmom: Sounds like you will have a great time. I'm sure in that area you'll find plenty of good small places. Going to bed early and eating out in Paris is not always a workable combination.

As a business traveller I often find myself alone a few evenings while on a trip. I love to find a grocery and pick up stuff for a light supper in my room. I love the tuna packed in olive oil that I cannot buy at home. I also pick up salads (premade in deli) cheese, bread and meats. Your children might very well enjoy the experience of a foreign grocery. Also, don't forget the wonderful cookies and yogurts we just don't have in the states.

My daughter (now 21) has the best memory of a cold, rainy German afternoon in our small B&B eating sandwiches we made with mustard that comes from tubes. She was 9 and thats what she'll tell you first about that trip! 2nd she'll tell you about hike up to and the carriage ride down from the Neuschwanstein. Just my thoughts.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

There is a decent pizza spot near your location, Pizza Sicilia, 26 rue de Beaujolais, which could work for you.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:06 AM

Well with three, it will be more challenging than one, but we spent two weeks in Paris last fall and had no trouble at all with meals with a 5yo.

You might get some ideas by going to our blog and looking up the archives for Paris entries last fall:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/

We did go to Hippopatamus and some Italian places that had pizza and pasta ( one right by the Lourve for her birthday) but we also went to lots of different restaurants.Angelina's was a big hit ( more so if the kids are aware of the Linnea book and story).We did go to MacDonalds..only because we needed the free wifi.

Of course she is not two and she is very used to going out to eat or going to adult venues, so it was not a problem.

She always carries a light backpack to give her things to do when we have time to wait. Sometimes it would be after a museum, so we would have a little new toy or book from the bookshop. She always had a journal, tiny container of crayons and book with her.

Why not rent an Apartment? It is one of the easier options with kids and you can do lots of your own cooking and shopping is fun there.

If you have a lot of time, RVing with kids is also a great way to go and there is a campsite right in Paris on the Seine right in the gorgeous Bologne de Bois park. ( We do apartment rentals and mostly RV combo with some hotels thrown in )

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/pub...n_europe.shtml
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts,esp the heads up on Leon de Bruxelles and hippopatamous restaurant chains.It'd be nice to try one or two enticing and very Franch restaurants,as well,but early on in the day,I think when the kids, and us ,are less tired!!Ditto about Chinese Restuarants...they tend to be universally wellcoming.Didn't mean to sound like a grouch"doomed to baguettes in the park".Just don't want to be stuck in Groundhog day...eating there perpetually!!We're staying in St.Germain,between the Luxenberg Gardens and the Quay.Any Suggestions?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM

I'd suggest the creperie Crepes a GoGo at 12 rue Soufflot, about a block from the Pantheon. That is near Luxumbourg Gardens. Now they do specialize in crepes, but have other tea salon type things (salads, omelettes, etc.), or light meals. The reason I mention them is I ate lunch there once and noticed a family with small children, and one in a stroller right next to the table. This place is larger than many cafes and has more floor space inside, so that's one good thing.

They do have a website now which is only in French, but you have to give them credit. It mentions the menu but in words
http://miagedo.free.fr/crepesagogo/index.htm

I don't know their hours, but would probably fit into your plans as you can't be out late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -