Paris: Help me decide where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I will be traveling to Paris in May. We want to stay somewhere convenient--where we can walk more places than not. We are looking at two hotels and a B&B. The hotels are in the 5th, the B&B is in the 6th. I like the idea of a B&B (cozy, interesting hosts), but how convenient is the 6th? Is it an interesting area with cafes, etc? Thansk!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:02 AM

The 5th and 6th will be fine, they are in Central Paris. They are 2 of the top areas that tourists stay in. Easy access to Left Bank sites, lots of interesting walking in the area, lots of restaurants,etc..

I recommend that you read the Fodor's guide on this site, and it might be useful to look at a map of Paris with the arrondissements on it, to situate yourselves.

B&Bs in Paris...a rarity, I thought. More info please...

Mike
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
tod

Recently Hotel Millesime on Rue Jacob was given very good revues by Peter Krynicki.
Don't forget you can walk down any street, look at building, even see your hotel ahead of travelling, all by going to www.PagesJaunes/Photos de Villes
To answer your question about the 5th & 6th - ones runs into the other and both are hot tourist destinations for hotels and restaurants. Naturally you will be paying top dollar for everything so budget accordingly.
If you purchase a good Paris Guide ( I like the EyeWitness Guide to Paris) you will see where everything is. Don't leave home without it!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM

To add...I've stayed in the 5/6th many times. I like it because I can walk a lot, be it to major sites, or just browsing around. Lots of outdoor cafes, museums (Cluny, Orsay), parks (Luxembourg). I can also get to Notre Dame and Ile St Louis easily. All the aboe, or course, depending on where in the 5/6th you are staying.

The RER from the airport also has a couple of stops in the area, so you could use that to enter/exit the city.

Last time I stayed in the 16th. Nice beacuse there were no tourists, only locals, quieter, had my "own" cafe,etc..But to go back to hotel to drop stuff off before dinner and then go out and eat centrally was a bit of a hassle.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I think I will go with the B&B. I found info on a service that finds B&Bs on the fodors site. Here is the website: http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-pari...9900001std1000

If anyone has reviews of that service, I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks again!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
ira

Hi B,

How much are you paying for the B&B?

What service is included?

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I believe the B&B is about 100E, and no services are included, aside from breakfast and, I imagine, maid service.