Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   paris help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-help-549551/)

kpilling Aug 5th, 2005 01:05 PM

paris help

We have finally settled on an itinary. After a a week in the U.K. we will be in Paris for five nights. We are staying in the 7th Arr. Our flight is at 10:45 a.m. from CDG for home. Should be spend our last night in our hotel in the 7th or stay near the airport. What is the best way to get to the airport. Our hotel recommends Goldenair.

Travelnut Aug 5th, 2005 01:09 PM

There is no need to stay be CDG - enjoy your final Paris night by the Eiffel Tower!

I don't know of "Goldenair" but compare the price quoted for that shuttle to the prices on
www.parishuttle.com
www.beeshuttle.com
for the same number of passengers.

Make the pickup arrangements as soon as you arrive in Paris. They will tell you what time they'll pick you up at the hotel, based on your flight depart time and any other hotels they are stopping at. For a 10:45 departure, they should be picking you up no later than 7:45am.

jules4je7 Aug 5th, 2005 01:21 PM

I would definitely stay in the 7th your last night -- and enjoy Paris, not the airport hotel. :)

You could grab a cab for about $50 USD and go straight to the airport instead of tooling around town in a shuttle. The shuttles usually cost $15-18 Euro per person anyway, so the difference is nominal.

Have a great time! I'm going next month and can't wait to see Paris again!

Jules

suze Aug 5th, 2005 01:39 PM

We had our hotel front desk call us a taxi. As mentioned above, I belive it was around $50USD.

Robespierre Aug 5th, 2005 04:21 PM

"What is the best way to get to the airport."

It depends. See http://67.72.88.51/cdg

I like the train myself, because I travel light. Some of the hotels along RER B in the central zone are closer (in time) to CDG2 than some airport hotels.

jody Aug 5th, 2005 05:16 PM

We stay in the 6th..right on the border with the 7th. we've always taken a taxi for around 45-50E..last trip in Feb we took a shuttle..36E.. and we F****D around all over Paris and took twice as long! It all depends on what you can be comfortabvle with..we prefer not to drag luggage, drive all over town, haul bags onto trains,fight off crowds..to us it's worth the extra money but to you it might not be.

kpilling Aug 8th, 2005 08:31 AM

Thank you for all the responses. I believe we will stay in the 7th for our last night and call a cab. We were just concerned that it might be difficult to get a cab early in the morning at 7:00 a.m.

Thanks again,

Karen

newesttraveler Aug 8th, 2005 08:43 AM

Book your cab 24 hours in advance and you won't have any problem.

Enjoy Paris!

PalQ Aug 8th, 2005 08:52 AM

Keep tuned to potential transit strikes in Paris that not only shut down the metro/RER but cause chaos on the roads. Happens a few times a year. In that case, they are usually 'previewed' hop out to the airport and stay. I would even consider staying at airport night before it i had to check in by about 8am for my flight - spend day in Paris - leave bags in hotel desk and then cab out to airport late at night, avoiding any angst about getting to airport.

yy4me Aug 8th, 2005 08:54 AM

I agree with the posters who suggest you call a cab. I have been to Paris several times and have taken the RER, the Air France Bus as well as the recommended (by our hotel-7Arr)shuttle. This time we thought the shuttle would be relaxing. Not so. We scheduled a 6:15AM pickup so we would have plenty of time for the flight. The shuttle driver made 3 more stops!!! By the time we got to CDG, we had only about 55 minutes to wait, we lost almost an hour in addition to travel time. Having been warned about the "2 hours early for international flights" I was upset. It worked out ok but one traffic jam and we would have been out of luck. The RER is by far the least delay likely but it requires more trucking around with post-trip baggage. We all know how that tends to grow. Came traveling light, going home w/extra duffle with laundry, goodies in roll-on. You should be AT CDG by 8:45 latest, it can sometimes be very crowded going thru security and that is time consuming. I'd stay in the city, no fun near the airport. You have plenty of time, just get up a little earlier. Don't count on being the last stop on the shuttle. Bon Voyage

suze Aug 8th, 2005 08:56 AM

Yes, rather than do it yourself, talk to your hotel front desk the day before. In my experience they have a system for booking taxis to the airport. You might also want to ask them for a wake up call. This is what worked for us.

Christina Aug 8th, 2005 09:01 AM

Just tell your hotel the day before that you are going to need a cab and the time. They should have a company they deal with regularly and make a reservation for you. 7 am is no problem for getting a cab to come to the hotel.

francophile03 Aug 8th, 2005 09:13 AM

I have never had problems with any hotels reserving a taxi 24 hours before my departure. The taxis are always prompt and although they cost more than shuttles, they don't make additional stops to pick up others.

Wifeybug Aug 8th, 2005 09:29 AM

We stayed in the 7th, and took an Airport Connection shuttle to CDG for our flight home. There are other companies that you can use. You could go online to make these reservations in advance (I did - both ways), or call them while you're there. You should not have any problems making an early shuttle reservation. They take your flight info, and set a time with you for pickup so that you're in plenty of time for your flight.
Enjoy your last night in Paris! Don't waste it in an airport hotel. We took a taxi to the 5th and had a great "last supper" at L'Atlas Moroccan Restaurant. Afterwards, we went on a Seine River cruise. It was a great way to say goodbye to Paris. Have fun!