Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Final Sicily itinerary -- thanks to all!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank to everyone who helped with suggestions on our fall itinerary for Sicily. Here is the final product. If anyone has comments on the various hotels or restaurants nearby, we would love to hear from you!

ITINERARY
4 nights Palermo: Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa
1 night Erice: Pietre Antiche Appartamenti
1 night Agrigento: Villa Athena
1 night Piazza Armerina: Villa Clementine
5 nights Syracuse: La Via della Giudecca
3 nights Taormina: Villa Carlotta
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:13 PM

hi

for me 5 days in Syracusa are too many.
I'd put 2 nights in Erice, Agrigento and subtract those from Syracuse.

We loved Piazza Armerina but it was dead after 7 pm at the time.

Too many posts about Sicily recently - I want to go back !
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, on the other hand, think Siracusa (actually Ortygia) is fine, but would cut back on Taormina in order to convert one of those one nighters to two - probably Erice.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Hi losaltos,

I agree with Thursdaysd that I would cut back in Taormina to add a night to Erice.
I'm so happy to see that you booked Erice Pietre Antiche. You will love it! I'm sure you have been impressed with Massimo already.

You will have no problem filling your days in Ortigia, especially if you plan to do a day trip to one of the Baroque towns from there.

Also happy to see you went for La Via Della Guidecca. If Roberta is still the manager, she is very helpful and nice. Have dinner at O'Sena and or Kalliope. I thought both were excellent.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 04:55 PM
kja

If I recall, you were considering a full-day tour of Mt. Etna from Taormina? If so, then I think your 3 nights there make sense. If not, cutting a night there would, IMO, be quite reasonable.

Whether 5 nights is right or too much for Ortygia really depends, IMO, on what you want to do and experience. Even if you include a day trip to Noto (which I adored!), you could probably get by with 4 nights. Your call!

If you do cut a night from Ortygia, where to add it depends (again) on your interests and timing. For example, if you leave Palermo in the morning and visit Segesta on the way to Erice, you would probably want 2 nights in Erice. In that case, when you leave Erice, you could visit Selinunte on your way to Agrigento, arriving before sunset. You could then visit the Valley of the Temples the next day, arrive in Piazza Armerina before sunset, and visit the Villa Romana del Casale the following day before heading to Siracusa. That would still give you 3 or 4 days for Siracusa, depending on when you leave for Taormina (and I, personally, would leave later rather than earlier). Just one option....

You'll have a wonderful trip no matter what you decide!