Paris? Get out of town or...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we plan a trip in June to southern France (Lyon to Arles) and they throw in 3 nights in Paris. Paris was not on my list due to the current disturbances. We've already seen most of Paris and have done several daytrips out of Paris. Should we do daytrips out of town or chance getting in the mix?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM

The labor measure that set off the protests that attracted the troublemakers that worried the tourists has been withdrawn. No one can promise you a trouble-free trip (anywhere) but perhaps that's reassuring.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Have you visted all of the castles in the Paris area? Monet's home? Taken a train to the Loire Valley (long day there and back (http://www.accodispo-tours.com. Taken a train to the Dordogne to see caves (http://allophilippetaxi.monsite.wanadoo.fr)--very long day. Taken a tour of the D-Day beaches. Taken the train to Eperney to visit the champagne region. Hooked up with Michael Osman (http://www.geocities.com/parisfinder/)
I wouldn't worry about the disturbances, but would explore outside of Paris on day trips if you are "tired" of the city.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I was just in Paris last week during the "disturbances," and even then, I never once felt threatened by violence or unrest. We barely saw any protesters, and those we did see were peaceful and orderly. We saw more of the action on CNN in our hotel room than we ever did walking the city streets.

The legislation that lead to the protests has been withdrawn, so the chances of encountering anything dangerous are even far more remote. I wouldn't avoid the Paris out of safety concerns.

Personally, after four times in Paris, I still feel that there's so much more to experience. I never grow tired of it, and would return in a heartbeat. However, if you feel you've already "seen the sights," perhaps you could try seeing them in a new way, such as on a bicycle tour. Or do something different like taking a cooking class. Or simply sit or stroll at leisure to enjoy the city without any schedules or agendas.

Clearly, though, you should follow your own interests.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

As an unmitigated wino, the champagne region caught my eye. I will investigate Eperney, having thoroughly toured burgundy and loire districts...thanks Amart. I find Pommery and Veuve-Clicquot in nearby Reims. Sounds like a train ride.
I find most protestors annoying, just like the Mexican flag-waving illegals in the US.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM

Do a search in this forum for "Champagne Houses" to get a good idea of some of the options. We loved Moet Chandon, but there are others.