Notices

Paris-Germany (train trip) in November

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris-Germany (train trip) in November

Hello, We are trying to get together a trip to Europe over the US Thanksgiving week (Nov 17-Nov 24). We will be traveling with our 2 kids (ages 11 and 9). Paris is at the top of the kids list and we thought it would be fun to take a short trip to see a some German castles. Has anyone taken a train to the Rhine River? If so how far is the trip, would we be able to do the trip in 1 day or should we spend the night in Germany? Also, can you walk or take public transportation to the castles from the train depot... or should we rent a car?

Thanks for your help....
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Train travel from Paris to Koblenz takes about 4:50. This would be too long for a day trip.

You could easily get to the castle in Koblenz by public transportation. There are other castles in the region on both sides of the river. If you want to visit more than one, renting a car is most practical.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM

With only one week, I would concentrate on Paris and perhaps a French castle or two...
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM

If the kids would be most impressed with something that "looks" like a castle instead of something like Versailles which is, I suppose, more of a "palace" then you might consider doing one or two of the chateaux in the Loire Valley.

Chenonceau might fill the bill and it can actually be reached entirely by rail. Another possibility might be Chambord which really does, IMO, have that "castle" look what with the turrets and so forth. This latter would be better reached by car IMO.

There are tours from Paris or you could take the train to either Blois (which also has a fortress-like chateau) or the TGV (for faster service) or regular train to Tours.

I am certain there are tours of the chateux which depart from Tours, and possibly Blois.

You could also take the train to one of these two cities and rent/return the car there.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:48 AM

Note also that some of the castles do close down for the winter starting in October or November. If you do go, check castle websites to see which ones are open.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi to you all,
Ok, I think that we will postpone our journey to Germany for another time. I am going to check into the 2 chateaux in the Loire Valley and also Chambord. I think that my kids would love to see a castle or chateaux. Are any of these locations a hotel too? Just checking because I know that some of the castles in Germany are hotels too.

Will we need to rent a car in both places to visit the castles? Do we need a special credit card to cover insurance on the car? I know in Ireland and Italy you need a platinum mastercard. I have AMEX as well as a gold visa... just want to be sure that I am covered... I will also call the CC company to be sure. Also, how is it to drive around the countryside in France... we have never rented a car in Europe and a little nervous to drive on the other side of the road...ha!

Thanks again for your help!!